Announcements > Site Announcements

Forum mail problem for those using Microsoft email addresses

(1/7) > >>

kitz:
A heads up that email notifications to any of the following domains are being bounced

@live.com
@outlook.com
@hotmail.com

This is affecting the registration confirmation for new forum members and notifications for subscribed topics & personal messages.
I'm not quite sure why as it doesn't appear to be specific to my server.  All the usual blacklist checks on both the domain name and server IP are clean. 

I've contacted my hosts who advised me that they think its Microsoft's 'Smart Filter' being over-zealous as they've had hundreds of others seeing the same issue and quote "I doubt its only with us". They are awaiting a response from Microsoft in an attempt to sort this.

In the meantime I'm manually activating new registrations for those accounts which appear to be genuine with known UK ISP IP addresses, but it does mean those using an outlook.com etc email address won't receive the automated welcome email.

*** Update.  Issue resolved 08-10-17.  Mail now being delivered. ***

kitz:
Brilliant.   This is what Microsoft say   :mad:

--- Quote ---We have reviewed your IP  and determined that messages are being filtered based on the recommendations of the SmartScreenŽ Filter. Email filtering is based on many factors, but primarily it's due to mail content and recipient interaction with that mail.
Because of the proprietary nature of SmartScreenŽ and because SmartScreenŽ Filter technology is always adapting and learning more about what is and isn't unwanted mail, it is not possible for us to offer specific advice about improving your mail content. However, in general SmartScreenŽ Filter evaluates specific words or characteristics from each e-mail message and weights them, based on their likelihood to indicate that a message is unwanted or legitimate mail.
Unfortunately, after reviewing the information you provided and in compliance with our mail policies, we are unable to offer immediate mitigation for your deliverability issue.
--- End quote ---

kitz:
I've no idea what that means, but reading between the lines could this occur if someone subscribes to a load of topics, then just bins then when they get them.

I now have no way of re-earning my SNDS reputation, because no mail will be delivered.  What a stupid system.   Trying to research this and I am far from alone.

roseway:
A system that's intended to protect users ends up penalising innocent people. Great. :wall:

kitz:
I'm not best pleased because there seems no way of reversing this.   
Not only does it affect forum mail but because its IP based, also main site mail and my personal mail.

I've been firing out mail between my hosts, jumping through hoops and trying to research SNDS & JMRP but its looking like there's nothing much further I can do.
Last email about to go back to my hosts in an attempt with them to plead again to MS, but other than that  Im not sure what else I can do.

If any active members have registered with the above email addresses from the above domains can you please turn off any subscriptions, because for the time being this is only making matters worse. :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version