Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What Modem?  (Read 2584 times)

Deathstar

• Reg Member
What Modem?
« on: October 07, 2017, 09:54:15 AM »

Guys and gals, I've been reluctant to ask this question as it's probably been asked many times before

Currently I have the one box solution for my VDSL connection using an Asus DSL-AC68U. However as much as a great router for WiFi, I feel the modem is not as robust as I would like. Plus I've not found a way to export and log the router stats. (Recently had issues with RFI, now solved (homeplug issue)).

I want to keep my Asus, but I would like a dedicated modem where I can log and export stats so I can monitor my line and help with diagnosis in the future. Thanks

So what would you recommend?
I'm currently watching an H612 on the bay of flea's, but is there anything else I should be aware of?
I do have a pair of ECI modems, even though I believe I am on a Huawei DSLAM.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

VMG1312-B10A Bridge Mode to ASUS DSLAC68U

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: What Modem?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 11:06:15 AM »

The HG612 will do the job you want.   

If you are watching e-bay, other modems to perhaps look out for any good deals on are the Zyxels and Billion 8800NL which can be used as modem only - see Zyxel bridge mode.

The caveat with the HG612's is that they have been around a while now and its highly unlikely there will be any f/w updates as far as stats go.
Personally I prefer the Zyxels with the BCM63168 chipset which for most lines perform better than the HG612.  I also have a  VMG1312-B10D which has a BCM 63381 and whilst it doesn't quite perform as well as my VMG8324-B10A, it still does a decent job about on a par with the HG612.

I'm sure others will also add their thoughts :)

http://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php/BCM_routers
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 04:42:16 PM »

I will suggest either a ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A or a ZyXEL VMG1312-B10D.

It might also be worthwhile taking a look at what is available here.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 04:46:59 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Deathstar

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 07:23:46 PM »

Thank you both

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 07:54:36 PM »

I too would recommend the ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A as I saw an increase of 7mbits on my line compared to a TP-Link W9970. Worth looking on Ebay as lots seem to come up.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

22over7

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 11:49:45 PM »

My experience, for what it (little) is worth, is that the question "what modem is best?" depends on your line.
(EDITED: to clarify. I said "router", but meant "modem". My point, below, is that if you have a noisy line,
modem A might be better than modem B, but it could be vice versa on a clean line.)

Although I am crow-flies quite close (200m?) to my PCP/DSLAM, my line goes "round the houses", and connects to my premises 
from the last of 2 poles.  I'd guess this is far from ideal, and my line hoovers up copious noise of various kinds en route to my modem.

Currently, after a fortnight spell using a VMG1312-B10D, I have INP of 52, INT of 8, and various other ugly
numbers, despite capping my line to 72 Mbit down and 16 down. Not only are the figures ugly, but also the graphs of
eg SNRM/DS. A couple of days ago I switched back to a Huawei HG612. The figures are still ugly, but the various graphs
on MyDslWebStats are now, to my untutored eye, relatively pretty. It seems consistent with my observations that the HG612 handles
a dodgy line better than a VMG1312-B10D. It could well be the other way round for a sane line. (Mine insane line was sold to BT for
about 6 old pence in the 80's.)

I am going to try substituting a VMG1312-B10A in a few weeks. I have a feeling, or hope, in my waters (based on
various posts in these forums) that this will improve things; but no certainty. Anyone interested in my experiments is welcome
to look at SandReck's data on MyDslWebStats. I believe so far that in my particular case, the HG612 hands-down beats the VMG1312-B10D.
In MyDslWebstats, the historical data shows what looks to me like a remarkable improvement late on Oct 5.)
I'm far from an expert on such things.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 07:25:54 PM by 22over7 »

Deathstar

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 10:10:03 AM »

No, the question was what "Modem is best", and from the help above. The Zyxel seems to be the one.

For me, a modem creates the physical link, where as a router then routes the traffic around a network.
So based on that, I am looking for something that provides a good fast stable physical link and robust enough not to drop at the wind changing direction.

I'm running at 47, with an expected of 60.
O  fastpath, but without G.INP.
Had a recent reset due to REIN (cause found!).

Deathstar

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 10:56:17 AM »

My stats if anyone is interested.

Deathstar

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 07:14:00 PM »

My experience, for what it (little) is worth, is that the question "what modem is best?" depends on your line.
(EDITED: to clarify. I said "router", but meant "modem". My point, below, is that if you have a noisy line,
modem A might be better than modem B, but it could be vice versa on a clean line.)

Although I am crow-flies quite close (200m?) to my PCP/DSLAM, my line goes "round the houses", and connects to my premises 
from the last of 2 poles.  I'd guess this is far from ideal, and my line hoovers up copious noise of various kinds en route to my modem.

Currently, after a fortnight spell using a VMG1312-B10D, I have INP of 52, INT of 8, and various other ugly
numbers, despite capping my line to 72 Mbit down and 16 down. Not only are the figures ugly, but also the graphs of
eg SNRM/DS. A couple of days ago I switched back to a Huawei HG612. The figures are still ugly, but the various graphs
on MyDslWebStats are now, to my untutored eye, relatively pretty. It seems consistent with my observations that the HG612 handles
a dodgy line better than a VMG1312-B10D. It could well be the other way round for a sane line. (Mine insane line was sold to BT for
about 6 old pence in the 80's.)

I am going to try substituting a VMG1312-B10A in a few weeks. I have a feeling, or hope, in my waters (based on
various posts in these forums) that this will improve things; but no certainty. Anyone interested in my experiments is welcome
to look at SandReck's data on MyDslWebStats. I believe so far that in my particular case, the HG612 hands-down beats the VMG1312-B10D.
In MyDslWebstats, the historical data shows what looks to me like a remarkable improvement late on Oct 5.)
I'm far from an expert on such things.
Thanks for the clarification.

May go for the HG, as you can pick them up cheap. Then move to the Zyxel.

machare

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 07:37:03 PM »

May go for the HG, as you can pick them up cheap. Then move to the Zyxel.

The Zyxel's are also quite cheap on ebay.