Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Just to Lost 3mbps!  (Read 2401 times)

cwaite

Just to Lost 3mbps!
« on: October 06, 2017, 07:52:59 PM »

I just got an email from mydslwebstats.co.uk saying:

"This is to let you know that a resync/restart occurred on your line at 18:50 on Friday 6th October 2017 local time (+/- 1 minute).

Reason: 1 Remote Defect Indicator/DLM

Current Downstream Sync Rate is now 25924kbps @ 7.0db SNRM. Attainable is 25740kbps
Current Upstream Sync Rate is now 3758kbps @ 6.3db SNRM. Attainable is  3758kbps
as measured at the time of this email."

Before the Sync my Downstream sync Rate was 28999kpbs.

I have posted my Stats from my HG612 Modem Logs and Stats Viewer to my One Drive (link below)
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AuuoQtRhe-fgnpcUbNTgTZ4GAujtlg

Please could someone take a quick look and let me know why they think the line might of dropped!

Thanks in Advance

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Just to Lost 3mbps!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 08:15:51 PM »

Your snrm varies by roughly 2dB between morning and night.
This makes the attainable vary by about 2Mb also, between roughly 28.5Mb and 26.5Mb. You were actually synced higher than your attainable.

Last time you resynced it was when the attainable was at its peak.
It looks like you just had something happen today about 17:35 (perhaps a new crosstalker) which knocked 1dB off the downstream, worth about 1Mb. The line has then resynced at the time of night where the attainable is at its lowest.

So you've lost 1Mb that if it's a crosstalker you won't get back. You've lost the other 2Mb because of the time the line resynced. You could get that back by resyncing the line when the attainable is higher, about 8am.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

cwaite

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 08:35:11 PM »

So when you say a new crosstalker I assume you are referring to a new VDSL Customer?

Thanks for that I will try a resync when the attanable is at a peak, do I need to power off the HG612 Modem to do this or can I just drop the WAN connection from my router?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 08:49:31 PM »

Dropping the WAN connection won't do it. You need to resync the line. Powering off the HG612 will do it.

You can resync the HG612 with a simple telnet command.

Log in to the device via telnet and send the command "xdslcmd connection --up" (without the quotes).

Alternatively if you're running DslStats, go to
Configuration > Advanced > Custom commands.

In box 1 enter "xdslcmd connection --up" (without the quotes) and then tick to send command 1 with next sample.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 08:51:24 PM »

This could be one of your cross talkers getting XdB it has a similar situation that I had before getting XdB a sudden drop of SNRM by 0.7 - 1.0dB and few DLM resyncs later (2 days) my line also went XdB

cwaite

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 09:39:43 PM »

Did you get a higher sync speed after your line went XdB?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 10:21:06 PM »

Yes I did but the throughput/download rate was 2 Mbps slower for the sync rate
Openreach giveth and taketh away via the 91-92% High RTX  :(

cwaite

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 10:41:00 AM »

Just to let you know I resynced this morning at just after 9am and the sync rate has gone up to 28016kbps still not what it was but I guess you were right Ive lost 1mbps from a new crosstalker.

cwaite

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 02:46:40 PM »

Further update, I decided to try syncing again this lunchtime as my attainable rate was about 0.5mbps higher than it was Saturday morning when I done my last resync, to my surprise after I dropped the WAN connection then powered off the HG612 and powered back on again.

My Attainable increased from 27784 kbps to 28632 kbps and my Sync increased from 28016 kbps to 29209 kbps, I am not complaining but just wondered if anyone knew why I have had this increase. Since I lost 3mbs on Friday and have today gained 4mbs (overall increase of around 1mbs). My target SNR seems to still be 6dB.

I have posted my stats to my OneDrive from the last 4 hours showing before and after the sync:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AuuoQtRhe-fgnrggLx4sEZ-RQfTHhQ

And this shows the last 24 hours:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AuuoQtRhe-fgnrc2alr653e8YWDB4Q

I am sure that the current attainable and sync rate will be taken away from me as quickly as I got it and I will probably be back to a slower speed in next to no time,  but just wondered if anyone knew if there was something happening on my line.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 05:36:52 PM »

but just wondered if anyone knew if there was something happening on my line.

Yes it called Atmospheric Induced Radio Frequency Interference causing a chuck of tones to disappear at a certain frequency this has the effect of lowering your SNRM in the evening time by 1.3 dB, you can watch you attainable slowly lower and then slowly rise in the early morning and it reaches it's peak at  10:am to 12:pm same with the SNRM.

cwaite

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 07:44:26 PM »

This could be one of your cross talkers getting XdB it has a similar situation that I had before getting XdB a sudden drop of SNRM by 0.7 - 1.0dB and few DLM resyncs later (2 days) my line also went XdB

It looks like you may have hit the nail on the head with the XdB my SNR Margin has been decreasing in the past few weeks and has been resyncing every Sunday for the past few weeks and is Down to 3.1db where as it was hovering around 6db my sync is up to 31559kbps at the moment, so it looks like the drop was something to do with my line being put on Xdb.