Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Looking to replace the HG612  (Read 2357 times)

KingJ

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • Miscellaneous Knowledge
Looking to replace the HG612
« on: October 05, 2017, 10:47:36 AM »

Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster  :)

I've been using the trusty HG612 for a while now, but I get the feeling it's slowly on its way out and in need of replacement. With the older chipset as well, i'm also increasingly tempted to replace it in order to sync slightly higher.

My requirements for a replacement are;

• Compatible with MyDSLWebStats
  • Baby Jumbo Frames (RFC 4638) Support
  • PPPoE connection - I have a strong router/firewall so I just need a modem

Reading around, it looks like the VMG1312-B10A and VMG1312-B10B are popular choices, with the A having the 'better' chipset and additional filtering. However, as i've got a NTE 5C Socket, i'm thinking the filtering on my line should already be good, making the A's filters redundant/increasing attenuation? I'm also seeing references that the A does not support Baby Jumbo Frames which would be a shame. Would the B therefore be the better choice in my case? Are there any other modems or routers that can be put in to bridge mode that might be worth considering?

If anyone's curious about my current line stats, they're up on MyDSLWebStats under the same username. This line has only been active for ~8 weeks, and I don't appear to have been enabled for G.INP or a SNR <6dB yet.

Many thanks  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Looking to replace the HG612
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 09:16:12 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

My requirements for a replacement are;

• Compatible with MyDSLWebStats
  • Baby Jumbo Frames (RFC 4638) Support
  • PPPoE connection - I have a strong router/firewall so I just need a modem

Reading around, it looks like the VMG1312-B10A and VMG1312-B10B are popular choices, with the A having the 'better' chipset and additional filtering. However, as i've got a NTE 5C Socket, i'm thinking the filtering on my line should already be good, making the A's filters redundant/increasing attenuation? I'm also seeing references that the A does not support Baby Jumbo Frames which would be a shame. Would the B therefore be the better choice in my case? Are there any other modems or routers that can be put in to bridge mode that might be worth considering?

Hmm . . . I thought that the VMG1312-B10A did support baby jumbo frames and that was one reason why Andrews & Arnold used to supply them. They now supply the VMG1312-B10D, so i would regard that as a good recommendation.

I possess both a VMG1312-B10D and a VMG1312-B10A. I find they both have similar performances on my G.992.3 (ADSL2) circuit.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

KingJ

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 09:28:51 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

Hmm . . . I thought that the VMG1312-B10A did support baby jumbo frames and that was one reason why Andrews & Arnold used to supply them. They now supply the VMG1312-B10D, so i would regard that as a good recommendation.

I possess both a VMG1312-B10D and a VMG1312-B10A. I find they both have similar performances on my G.992.3 (ADSL2) circuit.

Whoops, mixing my Bs and Ds!

I did find it a bit odd that the A doesn't support baby jumbo frames, and it seems to be a bit of a pain point for A&A too if this post is anything to go by.

I did a bit more reading around the D, and that does seem to support them. The only thing that concerns me is that it uses the 'cheaper' Broadcom chipset - but it seems overall this only makes a negligible difference?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 10:22:06 PM »

I did find it a bit odd that the A doesn't support baby jumbo frames, and it seems to be a bit of a pain point for A&A too if this post is anything to go by.

Thank you for finding that. It seems like I was recalling that the -B10A would pass baby jumbo frames if a tweak was applied via the Busybox CLI after power on of the device.

I did a bit more reading around the D, and that does seem to support them. The only thing that concerns me is that it uses the 'cheaper' Broadcom chipset - but it seems overall this only makes a negligible difference?

I see no obvious difference between the -B10A and the -B10D on my G.992.3 (ADSL2) service but other members have noticed a difference when used with a G.993.2 (VDSL2) service . . . the -B10A performs better than the -B10D.

Both of mine came from eBay as ISP branded devices. The -B10A was an "iTalk" device that had been used for a month, the -B10D was a brand new, unused, "Zen" device. Both were simple to de-brand and convert to ZyXEL vanilla devices.

KingJ

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 01:16:26 PM »

Thank you for finding that. It seems like I was recalling that the -B10A would pass baby jumbo frames if a tweak was applied via the Busybox CLI after power on of the device.

Ah hmm, running a telnet command after boot wouldn't be too tricky - it's not often I need to reboot the modem after all.

A quick check of eBay seems to point towards the D being much cheaper though. I snagged one for £25 delivered so hopefully in a few days time I can see how well it performs on my line.

Thanks for the advice  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 06:18:00 PM »

Ah hmm, running a telnet command after boot wouldn't be too tricky - it's not often I need to reboot the modem after all.

Or via ssh . . .

Thanks for the advice  :)

You are welcome.

You might also be interested in reviewing some of the topics here;)

anything