Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The recent Infinity 1 speed boost and its repercussions.  (Read 2328 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
The recent Infinity 1 speed boost and its repercussions.
« on: October 02, 2017, 11:49:32 AM »

I wasn't sure which section to post this in. But then thought that this would apply to quite a few ISP's.

So with BT suddenly boosting Infinity 1 speeds up to Infinity 2 is of course great news for Infinity 1 users. Your now getting the maximum speed your line can take. I think I asked a few years ago on here as to why speeds were classified by a different price, when on adsl technology we all paid around the same price and it was just down to how much your line could operate at. Now BT appear to be moving towards the one band and one price thinking.

The only problem comes from people paying for Infinity 2 prices, which are usually around £10 more eg. around 19.99 for Infinity 1 vs 29.99 for Infinity 2

So as it stands now, next month I'll be paying about £10 more than someone else on Infinity 1 and we're getting the same service. Luckily for me I'm still out of contract. I never re-contracted (and they even tried to get me to re-contract 2 weeks ago). So if no solution is found I'll re-contract at Infinity 1 prices.

As I was thinking about this situation. I think what about the people on other ISP's that are on packages inspired from Infinity 1 that are still paying the same price while BT users like them have now had a free speed boost? I'm sure they have a few feathers ruffled too.

It seems that BT have got the jump on all the other ISP's, and I wonder still how close BT is to OR as it feels like they have been given the heads up of something that as caught the other ISP's out.

Some people have said that Infinity 2 people will be upgraded to G.fast. But what if you 1. We haven't got a G.fast pod connected to the cabinet, and 2. if we're too far away from the cabinet for it to make any improvement?

I guess the only clues that something new is coming is a post a while ago on one of the forums were it was said OR was planning a speed boost that doesn't require G.fast pods. I'm wondering whether that was referring to this Infinity 1 speed boost, or if it is something else?

What's everyone elses thoughts?

P.S.

I feel I have to say I'm not resentful of the speed boost that Infinity 1 people are getting. I've always advocated for a one price fits all, so its good they are getting the full value. But unless BT drop the price of Infinity 2, or come up with a way to boost speeds to Infinity 2, then we're currently handing over (on average, at least) £10 for nothing. That's a lot of money.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: The recent Infinity 1 speed boost and its repercussions.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 12:48:26 PM »

I would have to disagree with others here. I think this had absolutely nothing to do with G.Fast.

Why would they upgrade the entire nations Infinity 1, considering G.Fast is only in 30ish trial areas. Surely they would only have done this after a bigger rollout, or only in the trial areas.

Then there's capacity. A G.Fast pod has 48 ports at the moment? There's just not enough capacity to move every Infinity 2 customer to a G.Fast pod. Some cabinets have 2 x 288 line DSLAMs. That's likely way more than 48 Infinity 2 customers.

I think there's not a hope in hell this was done so Infinity 2 customers can be upgraded to G.Fast.
They can invite any of their Infinity 1 & 2 customers on to a G.Fast trial at any time. Who's going to say no to a free trial of a much faster product.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 12:51:11 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 01:21:52 PM »

I agree about the G.fast. The downside of G.fast is the lack of performance at range, so its not a like for like product.

I think unless there is some new VDSL technology OR are going to use, which I doubt as we'd have heard about it, then I hope they are going to lower the Infinity 2 price.

What I don't understand though is what is gained by suddenly removing the speed limit on the lower packages? It feels its a move amongst a bigger picture.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 01:24:57 PM »

I agree about the G.fast. The downside of G.fast is the lack of performance at range, so its not a like for like product.

I think unless there is some new VDSL technology OR are going to use, which I doubt as we'd have heard about it, then I hope they are going to lower the Infinity 2 price.

What I don't understand though is what is gained by suddenly removing the speed limit on the lower packages? It feels its a move amongst a bigger picture.
i think its been done to boost the median speeds for advertising reasons

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 03:26:45 PM »

I also think its absolutely nothing to do with g.fast.
BTr won't have got the jump on anything, theres a lot of rumours flying around about this and what Infinity 2 users are supposed to be getting. 
Speed boost that didn't require g.fast pods could well have been xdB   

As I said in the other thread a few days ago it will be to increase their average speeds.  The cynic in me thinks there will be some upcoming marketing ploy to say they are the ISP with the fastest users and best upstream speeds.

As I also said in the other thread, they will have done the maths and if they were going to do upgrades then no better time than when Openreach have a special offer on for free speed regrades.

They also have the benefit of Plusnet having been a test bed. A few years ago Plusnet 40Mbps users were provisioned as 80/20 and it had been like that for a while.  Although PN capped the accounts to 40Mbps they still let the line sync at full speed, so they very likely to have data of how much it could push up the median speed.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

KIAB

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 08:52:44 PM »

Week is nearly over, & still no news from BT as what will happen to us Infinity 2 users, rather annoyed with it.
Still in contract with BT for another 4 or 5 months, undecided as what to do, been tempted to move to anothe isp, but on other hand I might give it another week or two & see what, if anything comes from BT.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 02:50:12 PM »

I don't think anything is happening with Infinity 2 customers. BT just seem to have taken advantage of an OpenReach special offer running for all ISP's where they can regrade lines for free.
There's nowhere for Infinity 2 customers to be regraded to though.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

anything