Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Setting up Load Balancing on Draytek Vigor 2860n  (Read 2789 times)

lloydsmer

• Just arrived
Setting up Load Balancing on Draytek Vigor 2860n
« on: September 28, 2017, 08:36:00 AM »

Hello
Can anyone help me with setting up dual VDSL broadband supplies in a Draytek Vigor 2860n?
i have one working anyway via the VDSL port and thats fine, just want to utilise our second line and i understand the router will automatically load balance between the two.
i have an old BT modem (Huawei HG612) which i have reset to factory settings and this is connected, DSL light is on etc
have input all the correct details into WAN2 on the router and enabled it but when it is showing as connected i cannot access any websites - message comes up with something about DNS error...
be glad of any help as both IT support providers and ISP provider don't seem to have and broadband engineers who can help!

d2d4j

• Kitizen
Re: Setting up Load Balancing on Draytek Vigor 2860n
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 09:24:45 AM »

Hi lloydsmer

A simple test would be from diagnosis, ping diagnostic, IPv4, ping through wan2, bbc.co.uk once logged into Draytek

You should get 4 good replies and no lost

This confirms a few things, firstly you have a working broadband connected to wan2, and secondly dns is working

If the above fails, I suspect your second broadband is not working, so if you plug in your supplied router from isp, then hook a pc up to this router, can you ping BBC.co.uk or browse the Internet

If yes, then check your settings in wan2 on Draytek

There's more but need more details to help

Many thanks

John

lloydsmer

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 09:42:27 AM »

thanks John
i only have limited knowledge!... how do i ping through a designated WAN?

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 10:02:01 AM »

Hi

Sorry, you login to your Draytek, on left side click diagnosis, ping diagnostics, right side, ping through, select wan2, bbc.co.uk, click ping, box appears stating please wait 10 seconds, then shows results

Many thanks

John

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 12:40:50 PM »

Hi LLoyd,

If you are using a separate modem for your other connection you will have to configure WAN2 (I think the router supports ethernet only on WAN2, might be wrong but can't find a bridge option in the UI in the online emulator)

Might want to have a look at this Draytek guide also.

You need to enable load balancing in both WAN's once they are up, there is a check box in the options page at the bottom when you click on WAN1 or WAN2 in the WAN setup page.

I don't have a Draytek router, theres probably more to set up e.g. failover policy etc etc so time to dust off your manual!

Good luck

Chunks