Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Dismantling modern iMac  (Read 10503 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Dismantling modern iMac
« on: September 25, 2017, 09:27:39 PM »

As noted elsewhere, I recently treated myself to a wonderful new toy, a 2017 iMac with 27” 5K display.    I am immensely satisfied and regard it as excellent value for money.

Only minor niggle is, whilst end users are told by Apple how to upgrade the RAM easily enough through a removable cover, any other upgrades or repairs would be a daunting prospect, as the whole thing is apparently glued together, not intended to be dismantled by end users.

Not a major worry as I have no intentions to upgrade anything other than RAM and the 3 year John Lewis warranty means any repairs are their problem, not mine.   But just wondering out of idle curiosity, has anybody on here ever tried to dismantle one, and how did it look afterwards?   

You can get a tool online for cutting the adhesive, like a tiny pizza cutter that you run around the edge twixt glass and body.  But even if it worked, I find it hard to believe it would leave no scars...

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Dismantling modern iMac
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 09:31:21 PM »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 09:43:56 PM »

Plenty here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkcTFHc179Q

That’s an older version, held together by strong magnets.  Scary-looking, but I can believe it is possible with no damage, as long as the glass doesn’t break.

Current iMacs have adhesive tape, not magnets, holding the glass onto the body, and that adhesive needs to be cut with a pizza cutter thingy.   I find myself unconvinced that could be done, without incurring cosmetic damage.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 09:52:17 PM »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 09:59:23 PM »

Oh, like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APPTejhw8F8

Yes, that’s what I’m talking about, that is how it is done.    So getting back to my question, has anybody here tried it, and what did it look like afterwards?

I dismantled my Mac Mini easy enough using a wallpaper scraper ( :D) but any  few scars left were on the underside, so not a problem.   On the iMac, scarring around the edge would be a real eyesore.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 10:03:14 PM »

When you do it, please post a video

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 10:06:26 PM »

When you do it, please post a video

No chance. :D