Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Advice on DSL stats + DSL-AC68U  (Read 3992 times)

Rob1991

• Just arrived
Advice on DSL stats + DSL-AC68U
« on: September 25, 2017, 02:00:08 PM »

I recently got myself a DSL-AC68U modem/router after having issues with my HH4 on my Infinity 2 line. It all started with the HH4 logs showing "PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]" every time my net dropped out which happened randomly (sometimes multiple times an hour, sometimes only once a day). Reading many forum threads on the same issue I saw it spanned across the HH5 and the HH6, and most had better results getting 3rd party equipment instead of getting replacement HH from BT.

I had been in contact with BT to be told everything was ok with my line and was told to get the new superhub.. I also did the quiet line test everything sounded fine to me, no crackling noises.

I got the new router Friday 22nd so honestly it could possibly do with running for longer to settle in(?). Saturday all seemed to be running fine and my first DSL stat results were https://i.imgur.com/kimEN2m.png. Sunday I had noticed over night my connection had dropped looking at the logs.

WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
stop_nat_rules: apply the redirect_rules!
WAN Connection: WAN was restored.
start_nat_rules: apply the nat_rules(/tmp/nat_rules_ppp0_vlan3880)!

Checking my DSL stats later in the day I noticed the path mode had changed to interleaved - https://i.imgur.com/v7UikX7.png.

One thing I didn't do when setting up my router was a factory reset after updating to the latest firmware. I have a very basic knowledge of everything since looking into my broadband issues but most of it is going by information from other forum posts, so excuse any misinformation. I was wondering if anyone could help or suggest anything I should try do. Below I am listing some questions and additional info.

- Could a factory reset help, should that be done after a firmware update anyway?
- Before a factory reset should I just let the router run for longer to see if it returns to fastpath.
- Could the new hub connection drop that I posted above be the same connection drops I was getting with my HH4?

I noticed my first DSL stat screenshot is showing a lot of CRC errors after only a short uptime. I understand this likely caused the line to change to interleaved DLM.

On my HH4 besides the annoyingly random connection drops, I was getting about 74 down 18 up and around 8ms, and the same speeds with new router plugged in. Since interleaved is in place I am getting around 66 down 18 up and 22ms, hopefully caused by something simple like wrong DSL settings which currently I haven't touched.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 02:02:59 PM by Rob1991 »

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Advice on DSL stats + DSL-AC68U
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 02:13:43 PM »

My honest advice would be return it. The modem chipset on it is useless. Lines that have remained fastpath for years suddenly jump to interleaved when using the DSL-AC68U.

I have the RT-AC68U, the version without a built in modem. I use that with a separate modem to handle the vdsl connection. It also allows me to install 3rd party firmware like the Merlin fork of Asus-wrt.

A factory reset won't help. Asus recommend restoring default settings with EVERY firmware upgrade, which if you make many changes, can take ages. As an owner of the device I can tell you it makes no difference.

I was too late to return mine by the time I find out how bad the modem in it is. If you're still within the return period, take advantage of it.
The RT modem equivalent is excellent when used with a separate modem.

If you want a different all-in-one unit then I'm sure others can give many recommendations.
If you wish to persevere with the DSL-AC68U then perhaps Ixel may be able to offer advice on getting stability from this device. I'm sure he gave up on it again though. After not using it for a long time he was trying new firmwares to see if Asus had sorted it's many faults, but looks like they haven't.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 02:27:42 PM »

I second J0hns comments. I battled with a DSL-AC68U for over a year. Installed every new firmware and at best was getting tens of millions of FECs an hour, multiple ES/SES and repeated line drops. In the end I lost about 10Mb of downstream due to the addition of interleaving and capping caused by the terrible performance.

The cap took nearly a year to get removed after switching back to a different Modem (HG612). In the end the only way I managed that was to switch providers and get a full DLM reset.

If you still can, return it, as its not fit for use.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 02:39:26 PM »

A wee side note as not everyone is aware. If you're stuck with a DSL-AC68U, you can install the Asus-wrt Merlin fork on it. It completely removes all the DSL menus, essentially turning the device into an RT-AC68U, minus 1 Ethernet port (you need to choose an Ethernet port to use as the missing WAN port).
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Rob1991

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 03:08:58 PM »

Thanks for the responses andy and john.

A wee side note as not everyone is aware. If you're stuck with a DSL-AC68U, you can install the Asus-wrt Merlin fork on it. It completely removes all the DSL menus, essentially turning the device into an RT-AC68U, minus 1 Ethernet port (you need to choose an Ethernet port to use as the missing WAN port).

By the looks of it, if I got the RT model it would be from Amazon, its the same price. Loosing a ethernet port wouldn't be an issue. The modem I had with my BT HH4 is an ECI model, would this be ok? Also cant the router just be put in router only mode to test it out before trying custom firmware? I believe this is in the Dual Wan tab with Ethernet WAN option correct?

Another router modem altogether I could run into exactly the same issues from what I have read, it can be hit and miss from person to person. Honestly I might just make use with what I have got. It was only the weekend before getting the AC68U I was routing a new ADSL cable through the house to cater for possibly getting a replacement HH5 or Superhub, but seeing the problem I had with the HH4 happen on other hubs I dont fancy dealing with that.

To add I know I am on an ECI cabinet, I saw that apparently G.INP is not supported, I might try a week of having that setting disabled and ESNP set to stable, or would you still suggest drop the built in modem and go back to my ECI modem to save further speed drops?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 09:48:26 PM by Rob1991 »

Rob1991

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 09:44:16 AM »

Early this morning I have had another log reading:

Sep 26 06:27:23 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
Sep 26 06:27:23 stop_nat_rules: apply the redirect_rules!
Sep 26 06:27:44 WAN Connection: WAN was restored.
Sep 26 06:27:44 start_nat_rules: apply the nat_rules(/tmp/nat_rules_ppp0_vlan3880)!

Does DLM changes cause a connection drop? Last time this happened was when both down and up were changed from fastpath to interleaved. This morning my down is unchanged on interleaved, but up is back on fastpath. https://i.imgur.com/DJ6gpyl.png

I am just hoping the above log isn't the same as my HH4 giving "PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]".