Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SNR gone wild?  (Read 1843 times)

AngelRex

SNR gone wild?
« on: September 25, 2017, 01:00:05 PM »

My sync rate has been 40/6.5 for years, in May my connection dropped multiple times after a storm and has been stuck on 35/7.1 since then.

I capped my upstream sync rate (on my HG612 as per sticky instructions here to 50000 5000 100000) over the weekend to see it it would 'boost' the downstream back to the 40,000 that its been for the last 3 years.  It didnt so I turned off and on the router to clear the above settings.  This was done a full day after and left for 30 mins each time to not incurr DLM...

It didn't and seemed to send my SNR mad!?!?!?  My sync down has remained the same but my upstream dropped from 7079 to 6451 is, BUT my SNR is in a state of flux from 6.1-7.1.

If you look at the SNRm on MDWS under Angel_Rex you can see the pretty patterns it's now drawing.

I'm obviously going to leave this now for some time - but can anyone suggest why it's now doing this?

Thanks in advance :)

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: SNR gone wild?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 01:31:05 PM »

Capping the upstream shouldn't affect the downstream, I see no reason why it should help "boost" your downstream back to 40Mb. They use separate frequencies/tones that don't overlap, so 1 doesn't impact the other.

The swinging snrm on the upstream is odd.
It sometimes goes away with a resync. Sometimes it needs the modem to be rebooted if it's your modems fault.
I recommend turning your modem off overnight, allowing your port on the DSLAM to sit idle for a few hours. Reconnect the modem in the morning and see if it's gone.

If it doesn't go away, then it's neither your modem or the DSLAM. Could be a crosstalkers modem is misbehaving, could be external noise that's making it swing. Nothing to worry about really, we see it on the downstream all the time.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

AngelRex

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 02:32:46 PM »

Cheers :)

I noticed when my DS was on G.INP I synced at 40/6 when US was not on G.INP

When I got G.INP on the US my DS lowered as my US increased (all be in marginally - this happened a year ago, then they took the G.INP OFF the US and i synced higher again)

Seems as though I might have a crosstalker close by causing issues.  Of course, no way to tell :/

AngelRex

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 12:30:21 PM »

I've noticed my SNRm is swimming all over the place (Check Angel-Rex on MDWS)

Could this be DLM testing for 3db?  I've not had any resyncs for over a week, but my speed has gone down again to 29mb with an attainable of 37-38mb.... :/

anything