Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Uber banned from london  (Read 6538 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Uber banned from london
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2017, 06:13:54 PM »

The only thing that i'm concerned about is TAX evasion,  >:D, they generate lots of profit but again pay very little tax.

Ha ha .... the thoughts of yester-year. We operate in a very different world in which I was brought up in. There are no scruples anymore, and anyone thinking 'Truth & Justice' will prevail, is an avid reader of Marvel comics.

We live in a time where 'Cash is king' .......... forget the regulatory bodies, they are but a mere inconvenience ...... if YOU really order a taxi and you're first thought is, "Do they pay TAX ???" .... well, you must be living in a utopian village that movie-directors dream of.

This is real-world stuff, it goes on in big cities. 

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2017, 09:48:19 PM »

Ha ha .... the thoughts of yester-year. We operate in a very different world in which I was brought up in. There are no scruples anymore, and anyone thinking 'Truth & Justice' will prevail, is an avid reader of Marvel comics.

We live in a time where 'Cash is king' .......... forget the regulatory bodies, they are but a mere inconvenience ...... if YOU really order a taxi and you're first thought is, "Do they pay TAX ???" .... well, you must be living in a utopian village that movie-directors dream of.

This is real-world stuff, it goes on in big cities.

Yes you may well be right on that but it is a sad indictment of today's modern world. It does not make it a better place....

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2017, 09:57:07 AM »

I recalled a friend of mine saying she worked for them when they launched in her city, then I didnt hear much more.... so I sent her a message to ask why she quit after just a few days. This is what she said:

Money wasn't worth it. It's something you do if you don't have a job or to make extra crash on the side. It's wear and tear on the car, unknown asshole customers, and not worth it if you have a better than minimum wage job. And yes, Uber drivers have attacked customers and vice versa. You just need a licence and a less than 10 year old car that passed inspection to drive. That's it. No background check or anything. Great job for sex offenders.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2017, 10:32:05 AM »

Maybe uber had lower requirements when they first launched?

I found this article showing high claimed figures of attacks/rapes from taxi drivers, however this is from taxi drivers as a whole not specific to uber.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/over-400-london-cab-drivers-charged-with-crimes-last-year-a3226396.html

This article mentions a number from uber (a lot lower than the number in the first article). 32 drivers.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1198856/more-than-1000-cabbies-have-been-charged-with-violent-and-sex-attacks-in-just-five-years-across-uk-sun-probe-finds-2/

Obviously this is sourced from the press which means it can be speculated figures, but it doesnt indicate uber is any worse than non uber taxi services, but of course I agree these events shouldnt be happening whether its uber or any other taxi service.

Articles state as I said earlier its the councils that vet drivers.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 10:40:02 AM by Chrysalis »

shadow4dog

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2017, 12:44:07 PM »

Opinions on Uber seem to be very polarised.

I've not had great experience in general with taxi companies in the past, including a sexual assault by one driver on my friend, and when I've used Uber they've been as good as the better taxi companies I've used.

I can't wait to see the evidence that's presented to the court. It'll be an interesting few months, that's for sure.

Tim

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2017, 04:20:14 PM »

Light relief

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2017, 05:11:26 PM »

just brought it up with another driver today on the way back, we ran out of time as was very short journey.

He said he pockets about £500 a week after tax which he considers good enough, but wants uber to reduce their cut from 25% to 15% as he thinks its excessive for just an app. He also wants them to have a central office to answer calls to report incidents with taxi drivers.  Those are his only 2 concerns.

According to a uber briefing made yesterday to drivers it looks like london will be resolved out of court with uber make a change in how they operate to accommodate a TFL request, to the driver I Spoke to today.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 05:13:38 PM by Chrysalis »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2017, 05:11:45 PM »

According to one report I've seen on the BBC there may be movement on this after an apology from Uber so the Mayor is willing for talks to happen I believe .

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP
Pages: 1 2 [3]