Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Using TP-Link TD-W8980 as router only  (Read 5473 times)

DaleLamar

Using TP-Link TD-W8980 as router only
« on: September 17, 2017, 08:25:23 PM »

Whilst I'm waiting to go and try this TP-Link router on a different line (see my other thread), I thought I'd try using it in wireless router mode with my Netgear DG834G v4 as the modem. But that isn't going very well either.

I put the Netgear into modem only mode and the TP-Link into wireless router mode, connecting the two together using LAN port 4 on the TP-Link and one of the LAN ports on the Netgear, and using the TP-Link dynamic ip setting as instructed here:

http://www.tp-link.com/il/faq-543.html

The Netgear in modem mode connects to my ISP but I can't get on the internet via the TP-Link.

Am I doing something wrong?

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
Re: Using TP-Link TD-W8980 as router only
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 09:06:42 PM »

and using the TP-Link dynamic ip setting as instructed here

You need to use the PPPOE method on that linked page instead, do you have your username and password

DaleLamar

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 09:54:36 PM »

You need to use the PPPOE method on that linked page instead, do you have your username and password

The method I use with my ISP is PPPoA but I tried your suggestion, still it won't connect.

Thanks.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 10:15:28 PM »

Just use the quick setup.

DaleLamar

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 11:43:10 PM »

Just use the quick setup.

Quick Setup isn't applicable to Wireless Router Mode.

Cheers.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 08:58:46 AM »

Are you sure, it is on the 9980 (Operation mode is the second choice to be made) and the 8980 is just the ADSL version of the 9980.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 09:53:08 AM »

I tried using my W8980 as a wireless router for a while and it wasn't very happy / reliable, not sure why, so I replaced it with an equally unreliable Asus AC68U. 

Have you considered leaving it in "normal" and using it in Bridge mode in the WAN configuration (along with your Netgear of course), I have used mine like this on occasion with my modems.

By the way the TP-Link online UI emulator is fun if anyone wants to have a fiddle :

Cheers

Chunks

DaleLamar

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 05:00:28 PM »

Are you sure, it is on the 9980 (Operation mode is the second choice to be made) and the 8980 is just the ADSL version of the 9980.

Yes, if I use Quick Setup, the device is put into ADSL Modem Router Mode. There is no option to set Operation Mode whilst stepping through Quick Setup, only from the left-hand menu. I must go into Operation Mode first to set it to Wireless Router Mode, then finish the setup from there.

Now that I realise that the router (not the modem) needs to have my ISP username and password, I don't think I can use this setup (the Netgear device as modem and the TP-Link device as router) because I need to use PPPoA with my ISP and the only setting in Wireless Router Mode that allows me to enter those details is PPPoE.

If I am misunderstanding something here, please, someone point it out.

DaleLamar

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 05:13:43 PM »

I tried using my W8980 as a wireless router for a while and it wasn't very happy / reliable, not sure why, so I replaced it with an equally unreliable Asus AC68U. 

Have you considered leaving it in "normal" and using it in Bridge mode in the WAN configuration (along with your Netgear of course), I have used mine like this on occasion with my modems.

By the way the TP-Link online UI emulator is fun if anyone wants to have a fiddle :

Cheers

Chunks

I've just had a look at what you suggest and I run into some difficulty there, too. If I set the router to act as a Bridge, the Encapsulation Mode is LLC and cannot be changed; I need it to be VC-Based. Also, there appears to be nowhere to enter my ISP username and password.

Cheers.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 05:15:06 AM »

I've just had a look at what you suggest and I run into some difficulty there, too. If I set the router to act as a Bridge, the Encapsulation Mode is LLC and cannot be changed; I need it to be VC-Based. Also, there appears to be nowhere to enter my ISP username and password.

Cheers.

Once you have both devices in bridge mode try clicking the "Add" button in Network - WAN Settings - this opens up a menu which includes entry of your  ISP username and password.

C

DaleLamar

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 08:45:57 PM »

Once you have both devices in bridge mode try clicking the "Add" button in Network - WAN Settings - this opens up a menu which includes entry of your  ISP username and password.

C

OK, I tried that, and all I can do if I click on Add is to set up a new connection which doesn't go down well because I get the errors:

Notice: The current PVC has a plurality of connection, the following parameters prohibiting to modifying!

PPPoA don't support single-PVC-multi-connection. Please set available vpi/vci.

Maybe this device is faulty, which is what I'm trying to find out by attempting to connect/sync to my ISP with it using a variety of methods. So far I have not been able to get an internet connection with it, either on its own or in conjunction with my Netgear. I've not used a two device setup before either, so it's all new to me. It doesn't seem to be all that difficult theoretically, but I am getting nowhere with it so far. I should be able to try the TP-link on a different line later on in the week or at the weekend. I think if it won't connect to another ISP then I'll have to assume its faulty and ask for a return. It shouldn't be this difficult.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 02:16:54 PM »

My advice is that if you haven't already done so, then test your device in normal mode as a modem-router on a working line i.e. do a full reset and then go through the basic guided setup.  This will tell you whether or not it works before attempting more advanced configurations.

Cheers

Chunks

DaleLamar

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 04:27:38 PM »

My advice is that if you haven't already done so, then test your device in normal mode as a modem-router on a working line i.e. do a full reset and then go through the basic guided setup.  This will tell you whether or not it works before attempting more advanced configurations.

Cheers

Chunks

That's what I did to start with (see my other thread) and couldn't get it to connect. So whilst I'm waiting to be able to try it on another line, I thought I'd try using it as just a router, letting the Netgear's (which I know does work) modem do the syncing.

michaelbreton

• Just arrived
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 02:07:09 PM »

That's what I did to start with (see my other thread) and couldn't get it to connect. So whilst I'm waiting to be able to try it on another line, I thought I'd try using it as just a router, letting the Netgear's (which I know does work) modem do the syncing.

If your provider only supports PPPoA, then it isn't possible to configure a device that has an ethernet uplink to use PPPoA.

The typical Ethernet MTU on a PPPoA circuit is 1500, plus the PPPoA headers.

The typical Ethernet MTU on a PPPoE circuit is 1492, plus the 8 bytes for the PPP header, so it can fit inside a standard 1500 MTU ethernet frame.

But it isn't just the MTU mismatch, but the way the headers are applied is different.  The only devices that can use PPPoA are devices that have ATM interfaces, like an xDSL line or lines.

You really should talk with your provider, and ask them if they can support PPPoE on your line.  If they can, they'll make some changes on their side, and your setup should work.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 02:10:27 PM by michaelbreton »