Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Which modem/router gives the best overall performance?  (Read 2978 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Which modem/router gives the best overall performance?
« on: September 17, 2017, 08:25:18 PM »

I've had to use the smart hub 6 for the moment. I still have my hg612's and the rt-n66u's in the drawer.

I was wondering if (probably) when I change from this SH6, what setup do you guys recommend here?

I've noticed there is some different setups we all have. What setup do you have?

I'm on an ECI cabinet, and I'm talking for fibre connections (fttc).
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Which modem/router gives the best overall performance?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 09:05:34 PM »

Do your prefer a two box or a one box solution?

If two box, are you satisfied using the Asus RT-N66U as the router?

If two box and happy with the RT-N66U then it comes down to considering a device to replace the HG612.

For circuit monitoring, it would be best to use a Broadcom based device as the modem.

In that case, consider using a ZyXEL VMGnnnn device configured just as a bridging modem.

I would suggest a VMG1312-B10D, others will suggest a VMG1312-B10A, etc.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 10:34:41 PM »

Thanks for the reply.

I'm liking the SH6 so far (I wonder how many people say that lol).

But as always with the hubs I've preparing for it eventually crashing.

So when it does, I wasn't sure whether to go back to my old setup or try something new. I liked the RT-N66U over all. It worked. Though I think its a bit clunky. I think that router is old these days. I'm wondering if anyone prefers a different asus router, or something different.

I'll look in to your suggestion though. It sounds interesting.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 11:11:49 PM »

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter's are pretty amazing routers if you aren't afraid of lots of settings. I've got mine setup fairly easily and there's no buffer bloat on TBB's speed test. Even then you don't need to do a lot, there's a feature wizard which will help get you online easily as well as a knowledgeable and helpful forum. Mine even blocks most ads without needing a Chrome extension installed, based on IP and DNS blocking (custom script which is available and fairly easy to install). If you go down this route then be sure to run both the standard WAN/LAN feature wizard and the TCP MSS clamping feature wizard.

I personally have the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Pro 8 but you don't need something as fancy as that really. You could go for a lower model which is cheaper and just as good for your needs, as well as having 'switching' functionality built in like most other consumer routers do. The one I have doesn't have a 'switch' as such so you need to setup VLAN's or bridging of ports if I want to do that. Instead I just use a separate switch device which is connected to the eth0 port, and all other devices connected to the switch device itself. The eth1 port serves as my WAN connection (connected to the HG612 currently).

This is what my current setup looks like, though some of the devices are behind, such as the switch -

https://imgur.com/VvSwPr9
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 11:14:50 PM by Ixel »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 01:28:49 AM »

As burakkucat said would happen, my suggestion would be a ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A as a modem only, with a router of your choice. It syncs better than any other modem I've tried.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

smf22

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 08:55:06 AM »

I'd echo what others have said with ZyXel and Ubiquiti getting my vote.

I used the HG612 for some time, but when it failed on me recently I started using a Draytek Vigor130... and obviously lost MDWS monitoring in the process. I wrote some plugins to monitor it using munin, but the Draytek simply doesn't have the same level of information available so it was a real uphill struggle (see one of those struggles here). Ended up very unhappy with it. Long story short, packed it away and now using a ZyXel that has made me happy again. Especially since vectoring has recently been enabled ;D.

For the router, I also use Ubiquiti as Ixel does, and think they're great products. It was actually the unreliability of BT Hub 6 that sent me along this particular path. I have the (much) smaller EdgeRouter X which for something measuring only 4" x 3" is fantastic when considering it also incorporates a four port Gigabit Ethernet Switch. To get the best from the EdgeRouter it's helpful if you're happy on the router command line, but as said, the forum is really good.

The two box solution potentially means a third device for WiFi, but if you use something like the ZyXel VMG8x24 you could use it in bridge mode and still use its WiFi capability by following ZyXEL VMG8324-B10A - Bridge Mode for FTTC.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 08:58:55 AM by smf22 »
BT FTTC 80/20 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A bridge mode + Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 04:18:51 PM »

I use a ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A as it syncs the highest on my line with an Asus DSL-N55U. The wifi on the Asus is a bit out of date as it is only 300mbit per band but it is adequate for my needs at the moment. I have a couple of configured spares of the ZyXEL and Asus just in case one goes pop.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

FornaEdwin

• Just arrived
    • makes moves live sex show
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 07:29:01 PM »

SH6 has worked without a hitch for me for a bit now.