Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Sets Out Specific Technical Requirements for G.fast Broadband Modems  (Read 1511 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/09/bt-sets-specific-technical-requirements-g-fast-broadband-modems.html

Telecoms operator BT has updated their technical document (SIN520) for the new 330Mbps G.fast hybrid fibre broadband technology to include the specific technical requirements for end-user modems, which is what Openreach and ISPs will supply to homes and businesses.

Initially most people who order a G.fast service can expect to receive a Managed Install, which will most likely include the installation of a new NTE5C Master Socket (unless you’ve already got one) and the Huawei MT992 broadband modem (pictured below). However the operator will also offer a self certification option for ISPs to use to test their own G.fast modem/routers against.

Openreach’s G.fast pilot is currently being rolled out to cover 1 million UK homes and businesses by the end of 2017 and it will then aim to reach 10 million premises by 2020.

Have a look on the website for the actual specification list. It's above my head lol. Hopefully good stuff though.

One thing I noticed is OR seem to be going to use a modem/router setup. That got me thinking, can the Home/Smart Hub be setup to just act as a router if there is a modem in front of it? I'm thinking yes?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: BT Sets Out Specific Technical Requirements for G.fast Broadband Modems
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 12:29:17 PM »

HH5, yes. Smarthub (misnomer if ever there was one ) no, it doesn't have a WAN port unless you have the FTTP version.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 03:51:01 PM »

Attached, below, is a Huawei data sheet for the MT992 device.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 04:14:38 PM »

The cynic in me makes me think who cares if everyone ignores them like they did for fttc?

Take the eci gimp/3db debacle it would be many times simpler to sort if everyone was using the same and official modems.  As it stands it still isn't sorted and even though there is a chance I am beginning to think that BT hopes people will just forget about the eci cabinets.

anything