Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Can't sync to ISP with TP-Link TD-W8980 modem router  (Read 9068 times)

DaleLamar

Re: Can't sync to ISP with TP-Link TD-W8980 modem router
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 08:29:06 PM »

I wrote to idnet and told them that my two TP-Link routers work OK on a different line and asked for assistance. What they have said is:

Check the settings.
They have lots of customer's who use TP Link routers with no problems.
The network team are not aware of any compatibility issues with TP Link kit or any specific chip sets.
Maybe the best bet it to get a different make and model of router to test with.

So that doesn't help me a great deal I'm afraid. I don't really want to buy various makes of router to try; whether they worked or not, it wouldn't tell me what the existing problem is, only that a different router worked, or didn't. Not, why.

They have some test routers (Billion 8800nl) and have agreed to lend me one when it becomes available. They are 'pretty sure it will work, so it may not prove much'. Which it won't. But it will allow me to see if a different router will work on my line without me having to buy one. And I don't know how they can be pretty sure it will work when we don't know what the existing problem is. I would have said I was pretty sure that the TP-Link routers would work on my line. But they don't.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 08:59:32 PM »

If that is their idea of customer support, then I will recommend that they as an ISP/CP should be avoided.  :(

Wait for the loan of their Billion 8800NL, try it and report back. If you still get evasive nonsense from their "customer support", request a deadlock letter and then take it to the regulator.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

DaleLamar

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 10:01:43 PM »

If that is their idea of customer support, then I will recommend that they as an ISP/CP should be avoided.  :(

Wait for the loan of their Billion 8800NL, try it and report back. If you still get evasive nonsense from their "customer support", request a deadlock letter and then take it to the regulator.

Yea, I'm pretty disappointed, I must say. I have been with idnet for ten years now and have in general been reasonably happy with the level of customer support when I've needed it, which is not very often. But in this instance I was hoping to maybe interact with an actual techy whilst my TP-Link was trying to sync. Surely the logs or some other data they have access to could indicate where the problem might lie? Maybe my assumption is way off, though, I'm just guessing. I have asked whether their logs show anything that might help, but apparently not. And they 'have no visibility for historic logs of devices trying to sync up', which is why a live session with someone who knows what they're looking at might be useful.

They are not trying very hard to help me though, in my opinion.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 10:15:49 PM »

They are not trying very hard to help me though, in my opinion.

Yes, that I can see from your posts.  :o  :(

DaleLamar

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2017, 10:44:33 PM »

Yes, that I can see from your posts.  :o  :(

I am currently perusing A&A's website...  ;)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2017, 11:19:52 PM »

Interesting. Please update this thread, as things develop.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2017, 07:57:10 PM »

It might be worth "crossflashing" the 8980 with the 9980 firmware - the hardware is the same, and I think the 9980 firmware contains more recent Lantiq DSL code. And also unlock it to give proper telnet access - the TP-Link interface is quite limited and provides very little diagnostic information.

My 8970v1 running 9980 firmware, not connected to any line, logs alternating messages of "xDSL Ready!!" and "xDSL Leave Showtime!!". DaleLamar's logs indicated it got slightly further than that.

@DaleLamar - how long is your line and what speed are you expecting? If you have an extremely long line, it might be possible that one device can just manage to establish a connection, while another can't, with nothing being faulty or incorrectly configured.

DaleLamar

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2017, 09:32:48 PM »

It might be worth "crossflashing" the 8980 with the 9980 firmware - the hardware is the same, and I think the 9980 firmware contains more recent Lantiq DSL code. And also unlock it to give proper telnet access - the TP-Link interface is quite limited and provides very little diagnostic information.

My 8970v1 running 9980 firmware, not connected to any line, logs alternating messages of "xDSL Ready!!" and "xDSL Leave Showtime!!". DaleLamar's logs indicated it got slightly further than that.

@DaleLamar - how long is your line and what speed are you expecting? If you have an extremely long line, it might be possible that one device can just manage to establish a connection, while another can't, with nothing being faulty or incorrectly configured.

I'm 2.3 km from the exchange so I don't think there are any issues with line length. I also have no problems with connection speed; my Netgear router is currently synced at 8133 kbps down and 1325 kbps up.

With regard to crossflashing the firmware: I did consider doing that, but decided to leave it as it is for the time being, in case anything went wrong. Having said that, since I have two TP-Link routers to play with, I may well try it with one of them.

Cheers.

DaleLamar

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2017, 10:01:59 PM »

This afternoon I wrote to A&A and explained about my TP-Link router being able to connect to an ISP on a different line to mine, and not being able to connect to my own ISP on my line. I asked if they had a test account that I could use to see if my TP-Link router would connect to their ADSL service. (I had made an enquiry the previous evening about some aspect of their service, so it wasn't completely out of the blue.) A chap from their sales team replied and gave me some logon details, then spent quite a bit of time going back and forth with me via email as I tried to connect with the TP-Link router and we tried to figure out what the problem could be.

The TP-Link router could not connect and we didn't manage to solve the problem, but I was very impressed by his attitude and willingness to try to help me.

I made the same connection with my Netgear router, which connected just fine...

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2017, 10:02:15 AM »

Have you tried explicitly setting the DSL mode to ADSL2 or even ADSL1?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2017, 01:07:50 PM »

I click on Advance and uncheck IGMP Proxy, check Use IP address specified by ISP and enter it, and also manually enter some DNS servers, 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8. Click Save. Back to the Basic Status page, still no connection.

Try setting it up as if you had a dynamic IP - eg Obtain IP Address Automatically.  IDnets RADIUS should still allocate the correct IP (even though you have a static IP) based on your login details.  Same with other BTw based ISP's such as Plusnet - there's no need to enter your static IP.  I never do.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

DaleLamar

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2017, 05:36:37 PM »

Have you tried explicitly setting the DSL mode to ADSL2 or even ADSL1?

I hadn't tried that, but just did. I tried all the settings available, but still no connection.

DaleLamar

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2017, 05:41:28 PM »

Try setting it up as if you had a dynamic IP - eg Obtain IP Address Automatically.  IDnets RADIUS should still allocate the correct IP (even though you have a static IP) based on your login details.  Same with other BTw based ISP's such as Plusnet - there's no need to enter your static IP.  I never do.

Yep, tried it that way too. Using the Quick Setup and just setting the VPI/VCI, username and password.

Thanks.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2017, 07:58:17 PM »

Are you actually syncing to the DSLAM? You mentioned in the 1st post that the ADSL light is flashing twice. I've no idea how that particular model works or shows sync, but without a successful sync you won't get any WAN connection.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2017, 08:06:13 PM »

It does look like it's the DSL link that's not being established. I think the logs indicate it detects the DSLAM, but fails at some stage before fully establishing the DSL link.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything