Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Can't sync to ISP with TP-Link TD-W8980 modem router  (Read 9106 times)

DaleLamar

Can't sync to ISP with TP-Link TD-W8980 modem router
« on: September 14, 2017, 06:46:04 PM »

Hello everyone,

I have just bought a used TP-Link TD-W8980 modem router and I can't get it to sync with my ISP - idnet. Any help/feedback you can offer will be gratefully received.

This is what I've tried so far:

I did a factory reset and used the Quick Setup. I copied the VPI/VCI settings from my old router interface: 0 and 38, chose PPPoA, entered my connection username and password and then Save. Setup status then reports all configuring as success, no errors. Then I click Finish and see a basic status page showing line stats, WAN and LAN status etc. WAN status shows the correct VPI/VCI, but nothing in the IP/Mask, Gateway or DNS sections. The Status box in the WAN section alternates between initialising/disconnected. The ADSL light on the front of the router occasionally flashes twice.

I click on Network in the left hand menu which takes me into WAN Settings. In the WAN Service Setup section it shows the Connection Type: PPPoA, my PPP username and password, Connection Mode: Always on, and Authentication Type: AUTO_AUTH (I have tried CHAP too). I click on Advance and uncheck IGMP Proxy, check Use IP address specified by ISP and enter it, and also manually enter some DNS servers, 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8. Click Save. Back to the Basic Status page, still no connection.

I've tried deleting the connection details and entering the connection details manually in the WAN Service Setup section, choosing IPoA (I know this doesn't give me the opportunity to enter my username and password but I just wanted to try it to see what the result was) and something odd happened: I enter my static IP address, Subnet Mask, Gateway IP and DNS servers and click Save, then a window pops up which says:

'The IP address does not match the subnet mask: illegal host number.'

It doesn't allow me to save so I can't go any further with that. The thing that is odd is that it is the correct IP address and subnet mask so I don't know why it would say that.

Anyway, I've re-flashed the firmware and tried again but things are no different, it still won't sync to the ISP.

If anyone has any idea what the problem might be I would be very grateful as I don't know what to try next. I have contacted the person I bought the router from and he says that it was working fine for him (as an ADSL modem/router) and the only reason he sold it was because he needed a VDSL router for his new connection, so I have to take this at face value and assume that the router is not faulty.

Cheers.

Dale

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Can't sync to ISP with TP-Link TD-W8980 modem router
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 09:42:29 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

Having read through your description, there is just one point that is not clear. Do you have a static IPv4 address? Or is it dynamically allocated by your ISP?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

DaleLamar

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 10:07:55 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

Having read through your description, there is just one point that is not clear. Do you have a static IPv4 address? Or is it dynamically allocated by your ISP?

Thanks for the welcome, burakkucat.  :)

Yes, I have a static IPv4 address given to me by my ISP when I joined them years ago. In my old netgear DG834G, I could enter the IP address manually or let the ISP set it. Either way, it is the same.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 10:55:41 PM »

I have no experience with the TP-Link TD-W8980, so these are just my general suggestions --
  • Power down and completely disconnect the device from everything other than its PSU.
  • Power up the device and leave it for a few minutes to stabilise.
  • Perform a factory reset by pressing the relevant recessed button with your favourite straightened out paper-clip. (I keep an old DMM probe specifically for such purposes.) Leave the device alone for a few minutes, allowing it to stabilise, once again.
  • Configure an Ethernet port appropriately on the computer that you will use to enter the device's GUI configuration screen.
  • Call up a web-browser. Enter the GUI configuration screen. Do not use the "wizard", as I suspect it will fail as the device is not connected to the incoming line.
  • Manually set the static IPv4 address as specified by your ISP and all the other required parameters that have been provided.
  • Save the configuration and then power down the device.
  • Reconnect the incoming line, etc.
  • Power up the device, wait for it to stabilise and then test.
If that fails, perhaps other members -- with experience of the device -- will try to assist.

DaleLamar

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 11:01:10 PM »

I will try that tomorrow. Thanks vey much.

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 11:31:43 PM »

Can you test on a friends line. I have the W9970 which I assume is similar and in the quick setup you should select ADSL and input the other settings there.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

Iam_TJ

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 11:53:24 PM »

Maybe a silly question but what is the product/service you're subscribed to at idnet?

The details you provide sound like it is an ADSL service. However, if you're on a VDSL/FTTC service those settings are incorrect - that needs PTM mode using PPPoE (no VPI/VCI) and a username and password.

The device also needs to be in the Wireless Router Operation mode

DaleLamar

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 07:35:57 PM »

Well I've tried the procedure suggested by burakkucat, but no change, the router still wouldn't sync to the ISP.

The router is upstairs on the end of an extension cable so I though I'd take it down to the room that has the BT socket and try it there, plugged directly into the BT ADSL socket. I did this using the RJ11 cable that came with the router as it looked unused. The only difference was that the router tried more to sync, ie. the ADSL light on the front of the router flashed a few times, then stopped, the flashed a few times again and kept doing this. Previously, upstairs, and with the old RJ11 cable, it would just flash a couple of times every now and then. I don't know why this would happen or what it means but I'm taking notice of anything different that occurs in case it triggers anything for me or anyone else. Anyway, still no sync; I gave it a good five minutes of trying.

When I went back upstairs and fired up the old router to get a connection, I thought I would use the new RJ11 cable, but bizarrely, the old router would not sync whilst using the new cable. I swapped back to the old RJ11 cable and got sync as usual. I swapped the cables back and forth a couple of time because I couldn't believe what was happening. Yep, old router with new cable - no sync, old router with old cable - sync. Poltergeist activity?

Anyway, I can't think of anything else to try, (I'm going to test the router on a different line when I can, as suggested by banger) I'm putting the correct VPI/VCI, PPoA and all the other bits in all the right places but it won't sync with the ISP. I have already written to my ISP and asked if there was anything in their logs that would give me a clue, but although they replied and offered to go through the settings with me if I gave them a ring, they didn't offer up any log details.

Here's some entries from the TP-Link router log (see attachment) though, if anyone knows can pinpoint a particular problem from the log entries I would love to know.

DaleLamar

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 07:40:04 PM »

Can you test on a friends line. I have the W9970 which I assume is similar and in the quick setup you should select ADSL and input the other settings there.

Good idea, I'll test it on a different line as soon as I can, probably next week sometime.

Thanks.

DaleLamar

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 07:43:21 PM »

Maybe a silly question but what is the product/service you're subscribed to at idnet?

The details you provide sound like it is an ADSL service. However, if you're on a VDSL/FTTC service those settings are incorrect - that needs PTM mode using PPPoE (no VPI/VCI) and a username and password.

The device also needs to be in the Wireless Router Operation mode

Yes, I'm subscribed to idnet's ADSL service, so the settings are correct.

Cheers.

DaleLamar

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 11:14:13 PM »

Since I last posted I bought another TP-Link router, an 8970 this time. This one would not sync to idnet, either. I spoke to Nick at idnet to see if their logs would show any useful details from my connection attempts, but apparently not.

So I've just tried both routers on another line today and they both sync to that ISP with no problem at all.

I will get back to idnet to see if they can shed any light on the situation, but does anyone here have any idea what the possible problem may be?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 11:43:18 PM »

Very puzzling.  :o

Your physical circuit, a broadband connection to the Internet provided by iDNET and usage of either a TP-Link TD-W8980 or a TP-Link 8970 results in failure.

A different physical circuit, a broadband connection to the Internet provided by "A.N.Other ISP" and usage of either a TP-Link TD-W8980 or a TP-Link 8970 results in success.

Upon analysis of the above two statements we can confirm two definite facts . . . that both TP-Link modem/routers that you have purchased are not defective.

The inner scientist now would like to perform a further series of experiments -- both TP-Link devices on a different physical circuit, with a broadband connection to the Internet provided by iDNET and then both TP-Link devices on your circuit, with a broadband connection to the Internet provided by "A.N.Other ISP".

Quite honestly I think you need to explain the results of your experiments to iDNET and request that they assist.  :-\

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 09:35:23 AM »

Which version of the 8970 was it? The 8970v1 is essentially the same hardware as the 8980 apart from the wifi, while the 8970v3 is a completely different Broadcom chipset device. The 8980 and 8970v1 have the Lantiq VRX-268 chip.

DaleLamar

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 02:26:59 PM »

Very puzzling.  :o

Your physical circuit, a broadband connection to the Internet provided by iDNET and usage of either a TP-Link TD-W8980 or a TP-Link 8970 results in failure.

A different physical circuit, a broadband connection to the Internet provided by "A.N.Other ISP" and usage of either a TP-Link TD-W8980 or a TP-Link 8970 results in success.

Upon analysis of the above two statements we can confirm two definite facts . . . that both TP-Link modem/routers that you have purchased are not defective.

The inner scientist now would like to perform a further series of experiments -- both TP-Link devices on a different physical circuit, with a broadband connection to the Internet provided by iDNET and then both TP-Link devices on your circuit, with a broadband connection to the Internet provided by "A.N.Other ISP".

Quite honestly I think you need to explain the results of your experiments to iDNET and request that they assist.  :-\

Yes, puzzling indeed!

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone else who uses idnet, and of course I'm not about to change my ISP just to try the devices on my circuit with another ISP. So that's as far as I can go with the experiment.

I'll share what idnet say about it when I hear back from them.

DaleLamar

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 02:31:24 PM »

Which version of the 8970 was it? The 8970v1 is essentially the same hardware as the 8980 apart from the wifi, while the 8970v3 is a completely different Broadcom chipset device. The 8980 and 8970v1 have the Lantiq VRX-268 chip.

My 8970 is v1.2, and the 8980 is v1.

Thanks for the information.
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything