Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: High Retx affects on the IPprofile  (Read 11468 times)

Oldjim

• Reg Member
Re: High Retx affects on the IPprofile
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2017, 12:10:46 PM »

For a bit of information
https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/Can-t-run-the-BT-Speedtester-flash-not-supported-in-my-browser/m-p/1447605
These are from that thread
interesting but very odd - it reports this

The current Downstream BRAS rate is: 50.17 Mbps
The current Upstream BRAS rate is: 20 Mbps

but my sync speed is 54.19

this would explain the rather low speed test results
and this is a link to the GEA Test Result
https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/Can-t-run-the-BT-Speedtester-flash-not-supported-in-my-browser/m-p/1447775#M17633 a bit from it
Downstream Speed    51.8 Mbps
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence    ; 00:00 to 23:45
Interference Location    Customer Premise
Interference Observed In Days    14
Points to note - reported downstream speed is lower than sync and I will need to check the transformers local to the router

EDIT
All local transformers except the router disconnected and no affect
Looking at the reported rtx_rx per minute it isn't continuous as it only really spikes a few times with one major one hitting about 2,700 at about 11.25 am so I suspect that something parked under the overhead wire from the pole to the house
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 12:28:04 PM by Oldjim »
Jim
Plusnet

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2017, 01:38:31 PM »

type telnet
type set logfile myfile.txt
type open 192.168.1.1
proceed as normal, session is logged in myfile.txt

Many thanks, "set logfile.txt" was the bit I didn't know
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2017, 01:44:05 PM »

What was your IP profile? and what's your current sync?

IP profile, 34.84 Mbps
DS synch, 38.26 Mbps
Throughput ratio, 91.06%

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2017, 05:11:04 PM »

@tiffy

Can you give us a full set of stats please? Perhaps there is some other indication of a retransmission high profile, not necessarily a value that gets graphed.

Thanks to information from the more knowledgeable forum members and a bit of messing about, hopefully HG612 stats in plain text format.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2017, 05:37:53 PM »

Tiffy have you tried to drop your PPPoE session on the router for 20 or so minutes and then start it again to see if this changes your IP Profile.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2017, 07:51:49 PM »

Tiffy have you tried to drop your PPPoE session on the router for 20 or so minutes and then start it again to see if this changes your IP Profile.

No, my last re-synch was on 15/08 as can be seen on MDWS, I try not to disturb DLM even obaying the 2 X 15 min. rule.
Don't know if I can actually drop the session on my HG612 withour resorting to Telnet commands, could re-boot my Netgear DGND3700v2 ?

To be honest, I don't believe there is an IP profile issue, I am just on retx high profile, the throughput ratio indicates this, I get the impression that most forum members on a G.Inp'ed line seem to be the same ?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2017, 08:50:50 PM »

The HG612 only handles the xDSL link to the DSLAM. Your router handles the PPP session. If the router has no way to drop and re-establish the PPP session then powering it off will have the desired effect. DLM takes no notice of this, only caring about the xDSL circuits stats.

The trouble with the BTw IP profile is that most resyncs happen quick enough that the PPP session doesn't drop. Then Plusnet have their own system on top of that.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2017, 09:44:11 PM »

Years ago you would get a new IP profile and new IP address after a reboot of the Router these days it seems you need to drop/or power off the Router for 10-30 minutes to establish a new PPP session, how things have changed.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 09:47:24 PM by NewtronStar »

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2017, 10:52:56 AM »

The HG612 only handles the xDSL link to the DSLAM. Your router handles the PPP session. If the router has no way to drop and re-establish the PPP session then powering it off will have the desired effect. DLM takes no notice of this, only caring about the xDSL circuits stats.

The trouble with the BTw IP profile is that most resyncs happen quick enough that the PPP session doesn't drop. Then Plusnet have their own system on top of that.

j0hn, thanks for the confirmation regarding router re-boot & PPP session.
As I said, I don't think I have an IP profile issue as such, my line is just on retx high profile for whatever reason.
Are you aware of anyone who is actually on retx low profile as proven by the approx. 97% throughput ratio ?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2017, 04:58:44 PM »

Yes, I was always on retransmission low until my line was moved to a 5dB snrm profile. It has remained retransmission high after the drop to 4dB then 3dB.

I'd say that if not the majority then certainly a high percentage of lines with G.INP are on retx low.

It's when lines drop to a lower snrm target that that the vast majority appear to be on retx high.
I don't doubt that your line is on retx high, especially if you have a 5dB target set.

My line is currently retx high, with an IP profile of 92.6%
It's been between 92.4 - 92.6% for the past 10 or so syncs.

I find 2 mins to be long though to establish a new PPP session. I can drop the WAN session with a simple on/off toggle on my Asus router so very easy to make sure my IP profile is correct.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2017, 08:29:55 PM »

I went on to 6dB DS SNRM on my conversation to VDSL 06/06 this year, it stayed there until 27/09 when it dropped to 5dB, presumably from the reduction program.
When G.Inp was activated on 27/07 DS SNRM stayed exactly the same, I gained approx. 3 Mbps DS synch but my data  throughput rate dropped (approx. 91% ratio), this has been the case ever since.

Seems that G.Inp retx profile control is another one of the mysteries of BT DLM that we are not privy to such as why did you and I wait so long for G.Inp to be applied when many were activated in a much shorter time scale ?

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2017, 06:56:50 PM »

Update to an old post:

I chose not to take NS & j0hn's advice to drop the PPP session accepting my approx. 91% data throughput ratio was attributed to a retx high profile.

Yesterday I changed out my Netgear router for my newly acquired ZyXEL 1312A router leaving the Huawei HG612 modem active maintaining line synch, this involved dropping PPP session for quite some time while I figured out the necessary settings for the 1312 running in router only mode.

On running BTWS line test today, noted that my DS IP profile had increased from 34.84 to 36.99 Mbps, my DS synch. was still the same @ 38.256 Mbps, DS data throughput ratio now 96.68%, was 91.06%.

Noted that my SK White Box records had also registered a step increase in DS data speed between the 13:00 and 18:00 hrs. readings yesterday, corresponding to the time of the router change out.
MDWS trends do not show any step changes in any parameter over the router change over period, as modem synch. was maintained this is to expectation.

So, looks like the drop of PPP session as advised did update the DS IP profile, good result.

For future reference, when I pension off the HG612 and connect the 1312A in modem/router service, is there any easy way to drop the PPP session without loosing line synch, I am lucky enough to have a very stable line which very rarely re-synch's by DLM intervention, usually only by local power outage or manual action.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2017, 07:43:40 PM »

Thanks for letting us know that can happen more easily these days during a quick modem resync the old PPPoE session tends to survive even after 10-20 minutes after closing the current PPPoE session that is what I've noticed with my own ISP.

And your still in re-transmission Low from what I can see from here  :)

If it's the same on 8924 it will be in the status page on the GUI disconnect in my red tick

« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 07:50:05 PM by NewtronStar »

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2017, 08:49:06 PM »

@NS

Yes, looks exactly the same on the 1312A, initially confused as the cursor doesn't change to "link" format when highlighted but it does work, went as far as the "proceed" warning.
Many thanks for the information.

Will know better in the future not to ignore the advice of old hands such as yourself and j0hn.

So, with a wee boost in DS data speed and the impending, free US boost from 2 to 10 Mbps by Plusnet it's Christmas come early for me !

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2017, 01:09:38 AM »

Ah, that's actually extremely valuable information.
Your previous post had poured cold water on my theory that Bearer 0 INP-REIN was a direct indicator of retransmission low or high.

With that, I'm still of the belief that...
Bearer 0 INP_REIN = 0 is retx low and
Bearer 0 INP_REIN = 1 is retx high
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything