Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Hurricane Irma - Live web cam  (Read 3849 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Hurricane Irma - Live web cam
« on: September 08, 2017, 08:41:08 PM »

A friend of mine lives in South Florida and she passed on this link which I thought other webcam watchers may be interested in viewing as the Hurricane Irma approaches her town.  The cams are going to broadcast as long as possible but they expect the power will likely be knocked out at some point. :/

Although parts of her town is under mandatory evacuation, she is staying put as she has horses and several dogs, so they've battened down as best they can.  They have a generator and have stocked up with supplies.  Although Ive only been there once I've always been envious of the location and weather, but its at this time of year I realise that we are comparatively lucky in that the UK escapes such extremities of weather conditions.

Irma isn't expected to hit South Florida with full force until early hours Sunday, but you can already see the ocean is getting rather choppy. 

http://www.evsjupiter.com/

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Hurricane Irma - Live web cam
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 06:12:32 PM »

I seen two surfers in the water near the pier this morning enjoying some waves, looks to stormy for any of that and that camera is going to come off it mount soon.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 06:38:01 PM »

It certainly looks wild and stormy from the still shots.  :-\

(I can't get the live stream to work . . . even after temporarily disabling Flashblock, Adblock Plus and Ghostery.)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 07:05:44 PM »

It does look rather rough, but there's still some people in the sea, and that camera does seem to be wobbling a lot.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 07:12:50 PM »

The live stream has become very hit & miss with buffering, some one has wrote in the sand Send nudes please whats that about  ???

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 08:47:44 PM »

I believe the storm path has shifted west and my friend says hopefully they should be ok.    However predictions are they will now hit Key West and Naples.   I've been to Naples many, many times back in the days when we used to go to FL twice a year. 

I am far more familiar with the Gulf Coast such as Naples waaaay before it became popular, Ft Myers (we used to fly in to that airport if we could in preference to Tampa), Sarasota , Sannibel, Captiva, Siesta Key & Venice are all places that Ive been to many times.  One year we were in Naples & Sarasota shortly after a smaller hurricane hit, but you could still see the effects on such beautiful beaches. To this day I remember flying back out and seeing a massive hurricane wall as it rolled further up towards Carolina. 
I do know a couple of people who live on that side.  One who is north of Tampa has been unable to evacuate - she says there's no petrol and supplies for most things are already low. 

----

Re the webcam - you should be able to see it without disabling ad-blockers etc.  As others have mentioned, it seems to be taking a bit of a battering already from the wind :/

>> Send nudes please

I think someone has written that in the sand purely as a joke realising that other people will be watching the webcam. ;)

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 09:55:27 PM »

For some reason, the video stream fails to start if I enable it via Flashblock. So I temporarily disable Flashblock, start the video stream and re-enable Flashblock and all is well.  :)

The camera is certainly being buffeted by the wind and its auto-focus mechanism is working over-time in an attempt to keep the shot in focus.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 10:23:36 PM »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 06:45:14 PM »

The web cam is holding in there even with 65mph winds, the waves are covering the jetty at times.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 07:36:46 PM »

Have seen wind gusts of 73 Mph just off the west coast of Ireland to-day

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 08:02:47 PM »

Its looking quite rough, but the webcam is holding. 
I was watching a few others last night, but they are all now out. :(

My friend is safe and still has power and internet, but there is now several tornado warnings which are expected to hit their area.

Another cam that is holding out atm is Sanibel traffic cams.
http://www.mysanibel.us/traffic/

Sanibel is on the gulf (west) coast, just north of Naples where the Irma is expected to hit. I've driven over that causeway many times to get to Captiva where we'd often take a picnic for the day when based in Naples. 
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 08:07:10 PM »

Another cam that is holding out atm is Sanibel traffic cams.
http://www.mysanibel.us/traffic/

Woooah...  Its just got really bad.. like within the past 2 mins.   You can hardly see the causeway and 5 of the 6 cams just got knocked out.  :o
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 09:13:37 PM »

Woooah...  Its just got really bad.. like within the past 2 mins.   You can hardly see the causeway and 5 of the 6 cams just got knocked out.  :o

As a result of the way the camera at "Sanibel Causeway Span C" is being buffeted makes it appear that the causeway itself is buckling.  :-X

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 12:51:57 AM »

About 1  hour ago could not see the Causeway (The waves going right over it.) but just looked again and it looks very damaged. :'(   
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 09:47:15 AM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 09:46:33 AM »

Looks like the camera / link is broken now.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

anything