Chat > Chit Chat

Hi from the near-abandoned shed

(1/3) > >>

sheddyian:
Hi all, thought I'd pop in.  The last few months have been busy, sorting stuff out at my late father's house, and putting it on the market.  Had much needed repairs done (leaky roof! Ceiling falling down!)  Got an offer quite early on, which we accepted, and all the legals were plodding through nicely.  It then recently fell through due to no fault of us or the buyer.  So back on the market again.

I've been getting rid of a lot of junk (mine and my late Father's) on ebay and at boot sales, quite surprising what sells and what doesn't.  Old tools are popular at boot fairs.

Using my half of the (eventual) sale proceeds, I'm wondering about buying my own place rather than renting as I am at the moment.  But can't afford much locally (South Coast).  Rightmove has LOTS of much more affordable places in Wales and Up North /  Scotland.  Can forum members sing high praises for particular locations they'd recommend living in?  Or places best avoided, to help guide me as to where I might consider moving to.  I'm really not sure what I want to do at the moment or where I might choose to go to!

Ian

Black Sheep:
Two words for location ............... Ribble Valley.

Plus, it is a well-known fact that the further north you go, the friendlier the people are. I've yet to see this fact dis-proven.  ;) ;D ;D. Get up here, mate .... cheap ale and beautiful countryside .... oh, and the engineers up here have a better pedigree too.  ;D ;D

burakkucat:
Depending upon finances, I'll suggest looking at property in one of the Suffolk "market" towns.  :)

sheddyian:
Thanks for your suggestions, will have a look at Suffolk and Ribble Valley on Rightmove, see what's available.

I've been to West Yorkshire a number of times in the past, and I think a friend up there once took me on a tour of bits of the Ribble Valley (I know it's not in West Yorkshire, but it's ~relatively~ local when you're staying in Yorkshire!).  I hadn't considered that area, so will have a look. 

I've got some searches set up on Rightmove, but I don't think anything has come up in Suffolk.  Cost, perhaps.  I have lived in Ipswich a long time ago (working at Martlesham Heath) and got to see a bit of the countryside in that vicinity.

Ian

burakkucat:

--- Quote from: sheddyian on September 07, 2017, 09:53:58 PM --- . . . I don't think anything has come up in Suffolk.  Cost, perhaps.  I have lived in Ipswich a long time ago (working at Martlesham Heath) and got to see a bit of the countryside in that vicinity.

--- End quote ---

Ah, very close to Beattie's Grimbledon Down. Yes, it is very expensive around that part of Suffolk. North Suffolk or South Norfolk area would be less so expensive.

Over in the NW of England, Lancashire, you could easily be in the catchment area for B4RN.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version