Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Advice please.  (Read 2882 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Advice please.
« on: September 03, 2017, 11:53:03 AM »

Hi all.

You guys have your ear to the ground with this sort of stuff, could I ask (on behalf of my son) what your advice would be ??

He has just moved into a new apartment and for the first time in his life, he wants to purchase FTTC broadband. As such, he is not in any contract with any ISP's. He doesn't have that much surplus cash left over when all the bills are paid, so of course that has to be a consideration.

As a single bloke, all he's going to be using it for is on-line gaming and streaming TV. Where he lives is all new work, and the Cab is literally 300mtrs away.

With all things considered, who would you guys suggest he throws his hat in the ring with ?? Bearing in mind his Dad is a wannabe OR engineer, who might be able to sort any future issues out he may encounter (ie: Hr's etc) without the need of going through the official channels  ;) :) :).

Any and all serious input, welcomed.  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Advice please.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 03:58:55 PM »

As someone who still uses G.992.3 (and none of this "new" G.993.2 stuff), I'll suggest that the Junior Sheep considers TalkTalk.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 04:06:31 PM »

I'll suggest that the Junior Sheep considers TalkTalk.

Would that be lamb  :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 04:36:15 PM »

As someone who still uses G.992.3 (and none of this "new" G.993.2 stuff), I'll suggest that the Junior Sheep considers TalkTalk.

Ha ha ....... thank you for your input Mr Cat and would you Adam & Eve it ...... my missus has just this minute ordered the TT package at £25 per month on the 40/10Mps service. Free set-up as well. Not that this counts in my sons case as I will be having the job pinned to myself on the day.

I quite like the thought of calling him 'Lamb', Licq .......   ;D ;D ;D ;D ...... but fear I would be on the sharp-end of a left jab ...... he's boxed since the age of 5yrs.  :-\ ;D ;D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 04:39:49 PM »

Hmm with so many to choose from these days it ain't easy, though if money is the decider then a look at ISP Review will help http://www.ispreview.co.uk/

A 40/10 service will do gaming and streaming internet TV fine and extra fiver for 80/20 both being unlimited, I would stay away from BT AA ZEN and SKY is just to expensive.

So Talktalk looks good to me and stay away from Vodafone it still stings  :D

« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 04:42:00 PM by NewtronStar »

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 04:41:18 PM »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 05:55:46 PM »

Thank you gents ............... although the deed has now been done and all signed up for, both those links are very relevant and maybe others looking in might make use of them ??  :) :)

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 06:02:53 PM »

Who did he go for?

Iain

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 06:41:44 PM »

These days the best deals on Broadband tend to be for new customers, and so it pays to move every 12/18 months. However I see lots of issues when people move from LLU ISP such as Sky and TT, so when BT stopped paying for my broadband after I left them, I tried PlusNet, it has a good helpful forum and did what it said it would. I was on their unique 40/20 package, but at renewal time, although the rate was good, the CS peeps could not alter their script which included a bit about 38/1.9 which I did not want to accept. Instead I choose to stay with an BTW supplied ISP and went to EE - not least cos they had a good deal at the time, and added 5Gb data on my mobile phone package.

Where will I go next time, another BTW supplied ISP, maybe BT for their 55/10 package, or back to PlusNet if they have come to their senses and stop using the 38/1.9 product.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 07:18:30 PM »

Who did he go for?

Talk-Talk ........... see post a few above yours, Dray. I should have maybe made it clear that my missus has ordered it on his behalf  :blush: ...... we get free broadband ...... one of the perks  ;) :).

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 07:29:51 PM »

Thanks. Is he on a Huawei cabinet?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 07:30:49 PM »

He is indeed.  :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 08:38:57 PM »

I might even try Talktalk for the next ISP if they will take me as voice side is on a different exchange to that of FTTC broadband service something about LLU  ::)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 08:40:58 PM by NewtronStar »