Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: My line might have issues?  (Read 39679 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: My line might have issues?
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2017, 05:19:20 PM »

Something is definitely causing a constant, but significant, number of CRCs to be observed with your circuit. And it is those CRCs which are the cause of the ESs.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 06:04:35 PM »

Success!

I had a call back from Zen today and they did a test prior to the call and it now shows 'battery contact fault'. They asked me to expose the test socket and re-did the test and it still shows 'battery contact fault'. They've now scheduled an engineer (without a visit) to look into and potentially resolve this fault, I'll hear something by the end of the 8th all being well! I was warned about a potential charge if it turns out that the issue is within the property boundary (any garden area included that is), but I highly doubt it's within the property boundary as the cable just runs from the gutter then along the wall to a room upstairs where the master socket is.

Sadly this means DLM probably won't be reset but I can always cap the modem speed later on once both the packet loss and battery contact fault disappear.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2017, 06:20:58 PM »

The usual location for either a battery contact fault or an earth contact fault would be in a joint, either aerial or in a footway joint-box. It is very unlikely to be anywhere on your premises.

Does the line reach your premises underground or via an aerial drop?

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2017, 06:38:27 PM »

The usual location for either a battery contact fault or an earth contact fault would be in a joint, either aerial or in a footway joint-box. It is very unlikely to be anywhere on your premises.

Does the line reach your premises underground or via an aerial drop?

I see, and it reaches via an aerial drop.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2017, 06:57:04 PM »

As pointed out by Mr Cat ............... unless you have more than one circuit (landline) entering your premises, you can't have a 'Battery contact fault' inside. Not unless someone has physically attached the TV remote control batteries, to the conductor wires   ;) :) :).

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2017, 07:05:26 PM »

As pointed out by Mr Cat ............... unless you have more than one circuit (landline) entering your premises, you can't have a 'Battery contact fault' inside. Not unless someone has physically attached the TV remote control batteries, to the conductor wires   ;) :) :).

Hahaha, I see, nope I would know about that one for sure ;). Nope, just one landline. Good to know! I'm just relieved that Zen has now found a fault. Ironically it's been raining the last few days so maybe that's helped make the problem show up?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2017, 09:25:35 PM »

Ironically it's been raining the last few days so maybe that's helped make the problem show up?

That would be possible. A "leaky" joint, one that is not properly sealed to the elements, could give rise to either type of fault.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2017, 11:43:04 AM »

Well my Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ERPRO-8 arrived this morning and it has now replaced the DrayTek Vigor 2860Vac. It's an impressive bit of kit, and compared to the DrayTek it handles bufferbloat perfectly (smart queue QoS is enabled). Even with QoS on the DrayTek I had about 100-200ms of bufferbloat at times typically, with the Ubiquiti I'm getting around 20-30ms. I did a speed test on thinkbroadband again but I'm still getting a slow single threaded download speed though it might be related to the line fault perhaps. Zen said they would investigate that problem if it still exists after the FTTC connection is better again (e.g. line fault is fixed and minimal errors).

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2017, 09:32:32 PM »

Just to update, had an engineer working on my line since 8:30am and stopped around lunch time (concluding that he was unable to fix the issue and I need to contact the ISP again, at least that's what the message says). The engineer wasn't booked to come to the house, so it might be that the next one must be booked to come inside the house and work from the master socket? I also spoke to Zen about 30 minutes after that but apparently they didn't have any up to date information yet on what happened. I was hoping for a call this evening but I didn't get one so I'll chase it tomorrow morning again. Tonight however, while FEC errors seem a bit high for my liking the ES/CRC errors are calm at the moment. The SNR graph appears to be less noisy at the moment as well (in the D3 band) but maybe that's just a fluke.

My neighbor is also complaining his FTTC service isn't that reliable or great.

I've also got a server cabinet built and put my EdgeRouter, along with other devices, inside that. It looks nice.

http://i.imgur.com/Ya0nPka.jpg

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2017, 10:07:06 PM »

I've just had a quick look via MDWS . . .

FECs and CRCs -- not a pretty sight. Hlog is near perfect. QLN shows significantly less noise than previously.

Thank you for sharing the image of the cabinet. What do you currently have installed? And what else do your plan to install? (Cats are always curious.)

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2017, 10:14:59 PM »

I've just had a quick look via MDWS . . .

FECs and CRCs -- not a pretty sight. Hlog is near perfect. QLN shows significantly less noise than previously.

Thank you for sharing the image of the cabinet. What do you currently have installed? And what else do your plan to install? (Cats are always curious.)

Indeed :(. Hopefully I can get this sorted out within the next two or three weeks. Got a massive amount of packet loss again tonight and I know for certain it's not my router now :). The EdgeRouter ERPRO-8 can handle over 2 million packets per second and 8 gigabits of throughput (assuming no QoS, in which case best it can handle is around 500 megabits apparently).

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6605578292 - Speed test is pretty shoddy.

http://i.imgur.com/B05RUNT.png - Ignoring the downtime earlier today as a result of the engineer and then me assembling my server cabinet, this evening's packet loss is awful.

As for the server cabinet, which was a challenge to put together might I add (haha), it has two power distribution units (for 12 plug sockets) which are both wired into the online UPS (just barely visible on the left of the photo), some smart cooling fans, a cable tidy, the EdgeRouter ERPRO-8 (at the bottom) and behind all that is the Ubiquti Amplifi HD hub, the Gigaset N300a for landline and VoIP calls, and finally the HG612 modem.

I plan to eventually add a high storage NAS in there, hopefully, easily more than 4TB. Just might need to be careful what I choose is the cabinet isn't too deep. Actually it doesn't look like the cabinet I ordered, there's some differences, but still I'm happy with it and I got it cheaper than most of the server cabinets that are for sale I feel.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2017, 10:29:21 PM »

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6605578292 - Speed test is pretty shoddy.

Well, I could say that it is essentially symmetric DS/US.  :-X

http://i.imgur.com/B05RUNT.png - Ignoring the downtime earlier today as a result of the engineer and then me assembling my server cabinet, this evening's packet loss is awful.

I have seen worse . . .

As for the server cabinet, which was a challenge to put together might I add (haha), it has two power distribution units (for 12 plug sockets) which are both wired into the online UPS (just barely visible on the left of the photo), some smart cooling fans, a cable tidy, the EdgeRouter ERPRO-8 (at the bottom) and behind all that is the Ubiquti Amplifi HD hub, the Gigaset N300a for landline and VoIP calls, and finally the HG612 modem.

I plan to eventually add a high storage NAS in there, hopefully, easily more than 4TB. Just might need to be careful what I choose is the cabinet isn't too deep. Actually it doesn't look like the cabinet I ordered, there's some differences, but still I'm happy with it and I got it cheaper than most of the server cabinets that are for sale I feel.

Ah, I see. Thank you for the description.

On first examination, I thought the far RH, white, switching PSU was one that had been supplied with an ECI B-FOCuS /r modem and was surprised if that had been your choice. Now I know better.  :)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2017, 08:36:47 AM »

I didn't see your cab type but I had the same issue looking at your tbb chart for a number of weeks. In the end it was down to a faulty card in the cab. I did not lose sync but total packet loss sometimes for minutes at and the worst it could be up to a couple of hours
 My cab type though was ECI.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2017, 09:23:47 AM »

I didn't see your cab type but I had the same issue looking at your tbb chart for a number of weeks. In the end it was down to a faulty card in the cab. I did not lose sync but total packet loss sometimes for minutes at and the worst it could be up to a couple of hours
 My cab type though was ECI.

Wow, interesting! The DSLAM I'm connected to is also ECI (sadly). I was thinking about that at one point but I don't know how I'd manage to prove it even if it was. I assume I'd have to get the right engineer for a 'broadband fault' rather than a 'landline fault', and Zen haven't ruled out something at the exchange side as far as I know, yet. I wonder if the 'some of the other customers are showing similar packet loss at similar times' is possibly those connected on the same line card in the same cabinet I'm connected to, sadly I guess no way to know as I imagine Openreach only know that information. For curiosity I'll try to find out what my neighbor is using (ISP). I'll be calling Zen if they don't call me by 10am, otherwise time is being wasted on not fixing the issue, as they must surely have yesterday's Openreach/engineer feedback by then. The D3 band is still cleaner than it was before the engineer intervened, so that's good.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2017, 11:16:11 AM »

Ah, some good news I believe!

I had a call this morning from Zen confirming that while they still have no notes about what happened yesterday, it looks like the engineer has arranged (I think) for an underground engineer to fix a fault which is due to be done by the 13th but could happen sooner. I've been told that they won't need to come to the house still. Fingers crossed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

anything