Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Single ISP rating - bar graph  (Read 2837 times)

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Single ISP rating - bar graph
« on: August 30, 2017, 08:44:30 AM »

http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/ISP_rating.php

When you look at the ratings for a single ISP the bar graph autoscales. So if you look at all time and pick Virgin DSL then again select period All the bar for Service goes fully to the right - with a score of 2.08!

I would suggest the scale should be fixed at 0-5 with the scale shown underneath to give a more accurate impression.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Single ISP rating - bar graph
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 10:36:28 AM »

I'll have a look and see if I can do anything.   But I will be honest and say that it will be low priority.
I've got a bigger headache atm trying to make the site responsive with many hundred pages, so it will be looked at in future...  although when that will be I've no idea as it could take months to get it all done.

The site content doesn't particularly lend to responsive layouts and despite spending several weeks searching I couldn't find any sort of template that would fit.. either that or I HATE the type that all looks the same with the big image at the top.*  So I'm having to attempt to build something mostly from scratch.
Add into the mix that my old student licence version of DW is getting long in the tooth and there's no way I can afford the silly money that Adobe now want for CC.
I'm also searching for something that would handle site management.  Been looking at CMS such as Joomla, but even then there is still the template issue.  Currently working on something in Kompozer, but after using DW for so long (did an Adobe certification course once at night school in DW & PS) it's taking a lot of getting used to a less powerful alternative.   This project could take a long time :(

*Makes me laugh all this responsive stuff for mobile and how google penalise you severely for not being.   
Yet about 90% of them stick whopping big stock images all over the place  ::)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 11:17:19 AM »

Kompozer hasn't had any support for quite a long time now, and it produces very poor html code. A more modern alternative by the same original author is Bluegriffon which might possibly be of interest to you.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 12:36:51 AM »

A more modern alternative by the same original author is Bluegriffon which might possibly be of interest to you.

Thank you. I'd not heard of it before, but it certainly looks like it may be a viable option, although from looking at the specs I would need to purchase one of the licensed versions.
One of the reasons I'd gone for Kompozer is there are very few that will
- Allow you to create your own template and apply it to any html/php docs
- Template must be updatable and any changes to the template must be applied to the relevant htm/php docs. 
- Be able to handle more than one template per site. (Not sure if Komposer can - was going to cross that bridge when I came to it).
- Do site management - an absolute necessity when I have nearing 1000 html files and gawd knows how many images. - That's just the main site and not any of the subdomains such as forum & wiki.
- Integrated ftp client that can sync local and remote files.

>> it produces very poor html code

I've been coding most of the day - tbh because Im working on creating a new template and hacking a freebie responsive menu, everything has had to be handwritten code so I've not touched Kompozer.   I've fallen back to the DW editor which still works - purely because I like its colour coding and tab spacing for tags plus it will auto close certain (most) tags as soon as I type </.   Anything that helps cut keystrokes atm is a massive bonus for me and I just do what I can on the days I am able to.  Most responsive code is CSS, a lot of the more complex pages are php and I also use JSON & Javascript to make certain things work even on the bog standard .htm pages...  so the editor was really only used on things where hopefully it cant do much wrong.

I will certainly look at Bluegriffon though and may invest.   
Does anyone know what its like for handling site management or have first hand experience using it with custom templates?   It's not on the free version so not something I can test.   Also because the manual & help files have to be paid for first I cant even look to see how it behaves.   Presumably if built by same guy then it should be able to do at least what Komposer can :fingers:

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything