Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Identical Asus DSL-N55U routers.  (Read 1433 times)

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
Identical Asus DSL-N55U routers.
« on: August 28, 2017, 09:39:44 PM »

I have an Asus DSL-N55U router about 2 years old and I have bought an identical router about 2 years old on eBay.

Just been testing the spare router from eBay tonight and the 5Ghz signal seems a bit weaker. My Tv downstairs with my original router gets 3 bars but with the spare router only gets 2 bars. Also looking at the routers signal strength in the network list the TV ranges from 1 to 2 bars on the Asus network list on my original it is a solid 2 bars.

Amazing results from two identical routers.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Identical Asus DSL-N55U routers.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 08:42:49 AM »

Quite small positional changes of the router or equipment can cause changes like this.  Also, the electronic parts will have tolerances so no two will be completely identical.
Your original router might be just on the power where your TV registers 3 bars and the new one a small fraction below.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

displaced

• Reg Member
Re: Identical Asus DSL-N55U routers.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 11:17:29 AM »

A company I used to work for horribly abused consumer-grade WiFi routers for commercial purposes.  As such, I saw hundreds of these and their predecessor models over the course of about 10 years.

It was amazing how much they varied in performance over time.  For any given order of about 100 units, they'd be pretty much all equal out-of-the-box.  We might lose one to a manufacturing defect within 3 months.  But after 18 months/2 years we'd see wildly different ranges from them.  Many would be fine, most would have lost some noticeable amount of signal strength.  A handful would behave like the aerial was disconnected even when it wasn't (and we even checked the traces for continuity).

Of course, those terrible D-Links were several quality grades below the Asus you mention, but it's interesting to see how these devices, which are still (reasonably) analogue, can age.

YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.