Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DSLStats issue via UTM Fail  (Read 2701 times)

Bestgear

DSLStats issue via UTM Fail
« on: August 27, 2017, 07:11:20 PM »

I cant get DSLStats to log into the box - even though I can login on the same PC using putty.... modem selected as the right zyxel model, username and password right (tried a few)... IP address right... but it still moans that username or password are wrong....

Any ideas?!?!

David
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 10:27:34 PM by burakkucat »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: DSLStats issue via UTM Fail
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 07:26:49 PM »

@Bestgear: The username and password are both case sensitive. Are you certain that you've entered both correctly? It doesn't matter what modem you select from the drop-down box, so long as the details below are filled in correctly.
  Eric

Bestgear

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 07:55:21 PM »

@Bestgear: The username and password are both case sensitive. Are you certain that you've entered both correctly? It doesn't matter what modem you select from the drop-down box, so long as the details below are filled in correctly.

Thanks Eric, I have double checked, and even deleted the dslstats.ini from the profile and its the same.

The server running dslstats is now on the other side of a UTM (with a router path) to the zyxel as opposed to the 612, which had its lan2 on the same network as the monitoring server.

Going to start a new thread as this one is the wrong place for this issue.

David
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 08:00:32 PM by Bestgear »

Bestgear

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 08:24:03 PM »

[Moderator note: The previous posts, made to the "supervisor password thread" and referenced below, have been split off from that thread and merged here.]

Hi

Started this thread rather than clutter up the supervisor thread for the VMG8924-B10A.

Problem is I cannot log into my VMG8924-B10A using dslstats.

Have run it for yonks with my old 612 without issue, but now changed LAN topology wit the 8924.

Ok - some bacground...

The 612 ran with PPPOoE into an Untangle box (UTM) with NAT from the RIPE address....worked great. Using LAN2 on the 612 with an IP address on the same network as the server running dslstats. All standard stuff.

When I installed the 8924, I changed the UTM to being routed (ie no NAT) between the inside network, and the new 8924 "inside" network (like a DMZ), which is then nat'ed to the outside world as usual on the 8924.

inside LAN > UTM > DMZ > 8924 > Internet

I could telnet using putty from the inside LAN to the 8924 from the server but dslstats would not connect and report a bad username or password.

Ok - experiment....

I added another NIC to the server which was on the same network as the DMZ, so no UTM required to get over to the network that the 8924 is on. (No routing between the two nics on the server).

Started dslstats and low and behold...it connects!

A min or two later....Access Violation from DSLstats.....ok to ignore or cancel to kill! - See screen shot attached.

Ok....hit ok to ignore (not uploading to the web yet as I deleted the dslstats.ini previously to make sure nothing in there was preventing it working). Then dslstats quit - see second screenshot and crash details below.

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:   dslstats.exe
  Application Version:   6.0.6.0
  Application Timestamp:   00000000
  Fault Module Name:   StackHash_5c5f
  Fault Module Version:   0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:   00000000
  Exception Code:   c0000005
  Exception Offset:   PCH_75_FROM_dslstats+0x00014390
  OS Version:   6.3.9600.2.0.0.400.8
  Locale ID:   2057
  Additional Information 1:   5c5f
  Additional Information 2:   5c5f419c2fb3dd171424d6868cf913f4
  Additional Information 3:   d1fb
  Additional Information 4:   d1fb8e44565cfdf76ac932397d1ad826

Interestingly, if I view the telnet log screen when "waiting" for the app crash, it shows "timeout while collecting traffic data - see the third attached screenshot....

Anyway... weird....and does raise an eyebrow at the telnet access though the UTM via dslstats....when putty works....

Any thoughts very much welcome.

David
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 09:52:27 PM by burakkucat »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 10:51:24 PM »

I'm not sure that I've got anything useful to offer here. Your networking arrangement is something I have no experience of. What I can say is the DSLstats works fine with the VMG8924-B10A when it's connected like this or of course when it's configured as a conventional modem/router. It would appear that in some way there's a break in continuity of the connection between the PC and the modem. The same symptoms have sometimes been reported when the PC is using WiFi to connect to the network.
  Eric

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 11:17:43 PM »

Hi

I hope you don't mind, but a few things as follows

Putty uses SSH, not telnet

The log you showed is an exception violation of memory space

This may be caused by many factors, and not just from dslstats

I would remove all instances of dslstats in full

Download and run the autoinstaller roseway made

Ensure curl has admin rights to run, along with dslstats.exe

I always make an exception in AV for all dslstats folders from scanning/on access scanning (not really needed but belts and braces)

I hope that helps a little

Many thanks

John 

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 02:10:16 AM »

Putty uses SSH, not telnet
Putty uses whatever checkbox you choose it to. I'd assume if the OP says he can Telnet via Putty that he means exactly that.

I use Putty as my default telnet app on Windows, and have done for at least 15 years.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 07:04:48 AM »

What is UTM?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 07:49:29 AM »

What is UTM?

My understanding (from Google) is that it is effectively a Firewall but one which allows nothing through by default.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Bestgear

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 08:46:54 PM »

My understanding (from Google) is that it is effectively a Firewall but one which allows nothing through by default.

Stuart

Hi Guys

The UTM...unified threat management...posh firewall with loads of apps that prevent nasties....ie traditional firewall, intrusion detection, adfilters, guest portal, wan failover (between my vdsl and adsl backup), app control, quotas, virus, spam, reporting and a wad more (and there is a free version too of untangle - but the home license gives you the full business package at a bargain price).

Putty - yes, was using telnet not ssh.

I had deleted the ini, but will try a complete delete and reinstall. Strange however, that now its back on the 612 in the original config the same install runs sweet as a nut....just when its through the UTM there is an issue with dslstats and still ok with putty.  I have added a bypass rule to allow the 612 and dslstats server to bypass all the app stack too...which I expected to help for some strange reason!

I will play on....weird issue really.

David 

anything