Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Home Hub vs. BT home network 1250 (2Wire 1000 (i think))  (Read 2572 times)

Simon

HI,

I was recently - re-graded by BT (not as painful as it sounds :)) to Broadband option 3. Along with this re-grade came a shiny new BT Home Hub  which I duly connected. Had some problems getting my PC to se the hub as I go through a neteger 10/100 switch and powerline adapaters - had to take the switch out of the equation for it to work. Once it saw the hub I re-connected the switch and all sort of OK.

My question is the download speed I get from the Home Hub - with the 1250 i had sync's of 6816 and 448, and got down/up speeds of ~5.5m and 384k which I am pretty happy with. The Home hub had syncs of 8616(for sure) and 484 (I think), but speeds of ~4.0m and 320k. I then plugged in my laptop and got similar results over wireless to the 1250 (although these were highher than the 1250 and wireless previously)

Does the Home Hub need time to 'bed' itself in even though the sync rates are higher?, or is it just not such a good piece of kit as the 1250?

BTW I now have the 1250 back in place.

Cheers
Simon

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: BT Home Hub vs. BT home network 1250 (2Wire 1000 (i think))
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 11:04:14 AM »

Hi Simon.

The regrade to another BT product shouldnt have affected your line or adsl service at all..  That will have been simply a case of changing things at the ISP end rather than anything at the exchange.

This is more likely to perhaps be a result of the change of your adsl equipment.  Its possible that while doing the swap-overs you may have had a few resyncs one of these could have been lower than normal.. and it could have affected your IP profile.
Or another possibility is that the high(er) sync rate on the HH may have been a bit too high and also caused a bit of instability.  Some routers are better than others when it comes to hanging on to lines, if the SNRM gets too low.

A BTw performance test may give more of a clue as to whats happening.

Although just had another thought - did you get one of the BT services such as the hub phone?  If you did then a certain amount of your bandwidth is given a different priority on the network..  if this is the case then that should  show up in a btw performance test.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker