Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: G.Fast - modems that will fully support Openreach's implementation?  (Read 4090 times)

Iam_TJ

• Reg Member

I've lost track of where I read it, but I recently read that Openreach was considering, or is planning, to switch to the newer ITU-T G.9701 Amendment 3 (212MHz spectrum) G.Fast rather than the original 106MHz spectrum (which is what they've been testing in the trials).

Update 1 I may have been confused between Amendment 3 and Openreach deciding not to go for FTTdp (distribution point) so that the local loop would be no more than 200m. Instead, for obvious cost reasons (no need to run fibre to every DP) they're going with pods on existing cabinets meaning longer local loops (up to 400m) and what some industry wags are calling G.˝Fast.

Update 2
A very useful site dedicated to G.Fast news reports that trials of Amendment 3 (212MHz spectrum) are underway with Broadcom chipsets but volume delivery of chipsets (to manufacturers) is not expected before mid-to-end of 2018.

Is there a list of modems either currently available or planned that support G9701 or G9701 amendment 3?

I'm asking because I'm building a wireless point-to-point link to get decent service to our farm. Currently on the end of a 2-2.5km line which at best supports around 10Mbps VDSL at the 2km point, and only ADSL2 2.5Mbps at the 2.5km point.

There's a VDSL cabinet about 750m away across our fields, on the opposite side of a trunk road, serving a small rural estate (~50 households). I've been considering 3 options:
  • Pay a household on the other side of the trunk road,very close to the cabinet, to host a BT line, uplinking from there via point-to-point 5.8GHz radio.
  • Pay a household (only 3 of them) on our side of the trunk road likewise, but this depends on how long their cable run to the cabinet is
  • If the underground ducting runs on our side of the trunk road alongside our fields, build a solar-powered uplink station as close to the cabinet as possible and have Openreach put their cable into a duct we can burrow under the hedgerow from a very small hut :)
The latter is the best option if ducting is on our side since we aren't reliant on the goodwill of another household.

Whichever option we go with I want to ensure that the modem I install will support the ITU-T G.9701 Amendment 3 212MHz spectrum so that as soon as G.Fast is enabled at the cabinet we can take advantage of it.

The idea is to then share out the 330Mbps link over further point-to-point radio links to the houses and buildings around the farm.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 11:28:26 PM by Iam_TJ »

Iam_TJ

• Reg Member
Re: G.Fast - modems that will fully support Openreach's implementation?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 10:42:54 PM »

I'll make a start. RP means it supports Reverse Power (draws power from customer premises).

Openreach Trial devices

Huawei MT992 G.9701 Amendment 1, Modem only
Zinwell zGFS-1001C G.9701 Amendment 1 (RP). Modem/router 
Technicolor TG799vac Xtream G.9701 Amendment 1, Modem/router
Alcatel-Lucent (now Nokia) F-240W G.9701 Amendment 1 (RP), Modem/router 

Other Devices:

ASKEY–RTV1905VW-D124  G.9701 Amendment 1, Modem/router

Chipsets

Sckipio
Broadcom BCM63138
Qualcomm Vx585, Vx686
Metanoia MT5321 (for SFP and similar small form factor applications)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 01:30:35 PM by Iam_TJ »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 10:52:02 PM »

The only device, of which I am aware, is the first on your list, the Huawei MT992 . . .  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Iam_TJ

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 01:34:35 PM »

Added a link for the Metanoia MT5321 (for SFP and similar small form factor applications). This is being incorporated into some SFP modules sold by Allnet and Versatek. Mostly for private xDSL 'Ethernet Extender' links but versions suitable for CPE use should be available late 2017 or early 2018.

Use one of these in an SFP-capable managed switch coupled to a VLAN linking it to a device doing PPPoE authentication on the network (RasPi maybe) or could it be used directly in a Turris Omnia (subject to Turris software support being completed).

anything