Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: MDWS - Can someone in the know check my connection please?  (Read 1424 times)

AngelRex

MDWS - Can someone in the know check my connection please?
« on: August 21, 2017, 02:09:41 PM »

I've recently started MDWS logging again, run off my laptop.  I noticed (if you go to Angel-Rex and select SNRm 5 days worth) that a pattern has emerged - my SNR dips from 6.3 to 5.8 each night around 9.15pm

Any suggestions what could cause this?  I've looked at boiler timer and many other things - its not causing an issue, but it's interesting to see a pattern and if there is something electrical causing the 'blip'?

Thanks in advance.

Rex
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 12:46:49 PM by AngelRex »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: MDWS - Can you check my SNR and suggest a cause?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 03:44:41 PM »

It's a pretty common occurrence,  you'll see iit on others as well.  Street lighting could be one cause.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 03:57:58 PM »

Like Ronski days that's very common. There's not likely to an electrical appliance causing it. Some lines move by over 1dB in a similar pattern to yours.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 04:04:24 PM »

I'll suggest RFI, as a result of increased propagation through the ionosphere during the hours of darkness.

N*Star will be able to tell you about Radio China International (and Radio Romania) from first hand experience of their transmissions!
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

AngelRex

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 04:34:59 PM »

I thought it might be something similar, it's indeed getting dark around then.

I wasn't sure though, so best to check. It's not causing issues ATM, just wanted to check in case it looks suspect.

Appreciate the input :)

AngelRex

Re: MDWS - Line just spiked and massive drop in attain?
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 11:51:58 AM »

OK, my line just took a dive 20 mins ago and resynced at a much lower sync speed (was 42mb attain and now its 38mb).  For the last 2 years my attain has been 42-44mb and always synced at a solid 40mb down 6mb up with 8ms ping.  A big storm in May kinda killed this and I seemed to have been capped at 35mb :/

SNR on the DS is the same so i'm unsure why. the upstream SNR has gone up from 3db so I guess that was a bug? 

It looks like there was a spike in errors, although nothing could have caused this - could this be DLM?

Could someone check over my stats and errors over the last few days and assist? Crosstalk? I've no idea how to check.

Many thanks again.

anything