Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Mark All as Read - can it be moved?  (Read 3821 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Mark All as Read - can it be moved?
« on: August 20, 2017, 09:02:52 AM »

Two times recently whilst browsing the forums I have hit the MARK ALL MESSAGES AS READ button when intending on clicking the All Unread Topics button.

Can it be moved so they are not so close together?

It's not a problem on the PC, but on my phone or tablet its easy to hit the wrong one.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Mark All as Read - can it be moved?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 11:20:41 AM »

Sorry, but no as its part of the standard layout.  :/
There are some things that are customable such as colours or graphics, even some of the CSS. 

Whilst its not impossible to change the basic core, doing so means that any future [security type] upgrades have to be performed manually.   
I've been there done it in the past shifting something that was on the right to a central position, then about a year or so later after several updates and fixes, one of the major updates refused to work as by this point it wouldn't recognise the template.  I ended up having to create a new 2nd forum starting from scratch with the standard templates and then transferring the database over to the new install.  I swore I wouldn't go there again.   ???
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 11:32:31 AM »

Funnily enough, I've never noticed that button - I always use "Show unread posts since last visit." in the top LH corner. I just tried it on my iPad and hit the "mark unread" instead :(

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 01:37:21 PM »

@Kitz, no worries - sounds like far too much hassle, but its a bit short sighted of the forum software developers.

@Dray I usually use the "Show unread posts since last visit." also, but if I don't read all the posts then next time I may miss a load of posts I may of been interested in but never looked at last time.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 07:10:16 PM »

I don't think SMF 2.x.x was particularly designed with tablets in mind.  The mobile version of is pretty basic and mostly just text  see here-  think they were more concerned about bandwidth for mobile data, rather than tablets which are now mostly used on wifi.

There is supposed to be a new major version underway that may be more responsive for tablets & phones. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 10:04:44 AM »

Hi

I hope you don't mind, but I use tapatalk on mobile and iPad

It seems to work lovely for the most part, and is free, with adverts but you can buy the pro version without adds

Many thanks

John

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 10:13:46 AM »

I have tried Tappa Talk in the past but didn't like it,  I really should give it another try.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 08:00:50 PM »

@Kitz, no worries - sounds like far too much hassle, but its a bit short sighted of the forum software developers.

@Dray I usually use the "Show unread posts since last visit." also, but if I don't read all the posts then next time I may miss a load of posts I may of been interested in but never looked at last time.

smf is clearly not designed for phones (which I like personally as is my opinion there is no such thing as an interface that works well on both, usually something designed for mobile has compromises on pc).

Instead its better to use an app, I know tapatalk is not perfect and got worse since monetisation ramp ups but its still much better than using a browser on a phone to view forums.

To kitz, smf does support mobile (responsive) themes, but if you ever go down that path please make it optional (user can choose theme) or have it only kick in when a mobile user agent is detected, as this forum ui is one of the best around at the moment I reckon for desktop use.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 08:03:44 PM by Chrysalis »

anything