Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Help With Hard to Find Fault - Possible High Resistance  (Read 5839 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Help With Hard to Find Fault - Possible High Resistance
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2020, 04:57:31 PM »

. . . since 14:00 yesterday it has become almost unusable again.

Same story as last time, frequent resyncs occurring randomly and when the phone is picked up, high pitched noise and some crackling audible on the phone and the same characteristic SNRM and CRC traces.

<snip>

I'd suspect intermittent REIN were it not for the fact that picking up the phone kills the broadband, which presumably cannot be explained by REIN?

Unfortunately you are experiencing a similar problem as before . . . There is (at least) one joint showing HR or semi-conductive tendencies.  :(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

siofjofj

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2020, 05:12:40 PM »

Unfortunately you are experiencing a similar problem as before . . . There is (at least) one joint showing HR or semi-conductive tendencies.  :(
Yes, I thought as much. Seems rather unlucky that it's happened again a relatively short amount of time after the pair was swapped. Interestingly, several of the neighbours have commented about various internet and noisy phone issues that have been very difficult to get resolved. I wonder if a section of the big multicore cable (or a joint in it) feeding the estate is bad (full of water maybe?), as a result a huge number of the pairs within it have (or liable to get) issues.

I'd kept the mobile number of the Openreach patch lead who managed the issue last time, so texted her this morning explaining the situation. Very kindly, she has arranged for an engineer to come out on Monday and have a look again without me having to go through my ISP again. Hopefully it will get sorted then  :fingers:

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2020, 07:46:12 PM »

Certainly possible, I know many years ago they completely re-crimped the multicore to my local cabinet (although it was the exchange side in that case) because of water damage.  To make matter worse it was aluminium cable and my line snapped while they were doing it due to corrosion, which fortunately I noticed immediately and informed them before they left.  I watched them re-crimp it again with no slack at that point, that e side if it snaps again will basically become unusable.

But this is just as likely to happen from the cabinet to the house if its an old joint that has taken on water, especially underground.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2020, 01:04:52 PM »

the picking up the phone thing suggests a microfilter or SSFP gone bad, or a bad design.

siofjofj

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2020, 02:03:56 PM »

the picking up the phone thing suggests a microfilter or SSFP gone bad, or a bad design.
Yes, that was one of the things I suspected the first time this issue occurred. However, since then, I've tried the Mk2, Mk3 and (after Openreach changed the NTE5A to an NTE5C) Mk4 SSFPs as well as the Excelsus Z-350UK plug-in microfilter and whatever the plug-in filter Sky and TalkTalk supply with their routers is. I also had a go with double filtering (specifically the Mk3 SSFP with the Z-350UK plugged into its filtered output and the phone plugged into that), none of which made any difference. I also get the crackling with no microfilter at all and just the phone connected to the test socket, and the random disconnections and SNRM oscillations with no microfilter and just the modem connected to the test socket.

That said, you've just reminded me that I should probably check on the current situation with a different modem, phone and microfilter before Openreach come, just in case it is one of those this time round, so thanks :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2020, 09:27:59 PM »

Double micro filtering (with an ADSL Nation superb one) was necessary for me with one evil DECT phone that I had. You were right to try that. Things are definitely wrong.

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2020, 07:59:36 PM »

I also had same issue couple of times 2-3 times in last two months
SNR dropping for upload only and syncing at 600kbps at night and internet working fine during daytime
internet is working fine now
but phone is noisy 

lineman suggested to change my pairs to newly installed cable on the poles instead of using underground cable.
But so far internet is working fine so, didn't bother

VDSL FTTC 35/18

siofjofj

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2020, 08:16:47 PM »

Similar story for me this time round. Everything mysteriously cleared up on Sunday morning and was absolutely fine for 24 hours so I messaged my contact at Openreach to say that it's now behaving itself again and that there probably won't be anything to find, however they were welcome to still attend if they thought it would be worthwhile. They decided not to, and there have been no problems for the rest of the week. Hopefully it won't come back again.
Pages: 1 [2]