Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: G.fast commercial roll out in progress  (Read 28359 times)

stevebrass

• Reg Member
Re: G.fast commercial roll out in progress
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2017, 12:09:11 PM »

Remember many moons back ...... I think it was Kitz herself that commented, "Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it ??" .............. well, we've got it.

The relentless push for more speed 'like yesterday', which is driving Ofcom's ill-thought out targets .... has seen the need for this sticking plaster. As a business decision ... it was made for them.  :)

Meanwhile I am 2km from my DSLAM/PCP and max out at 15mbs. TBH perfectly okay most of the time but just a bit galling to pay the  same as those getting much better speeds.

Oh - and enjoying all the benefits of an ECI DSLAM.
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2017, 12:32:50 PM »

I actually said I dont like the push for speeds for marketing :)

The advantages of vectoring tho is its a speed enabler, so doesnt necessarily raise max speeds but allows more people to get speeds in higher range of existing services, in turn it also boosts reliability of the connection.

I can of course see why BT made this decision, ofcom are letting VM push marketed speeds like crazy without any consideration of service quality, and BT are merely reacting to that. Marketing battle.

I realise that, Chrys ..... my comment wasn't aimed at you at all ..... it was just highlighting your reference to the G-fast in your comments, as I still am unsure of how to take a snippet of a quote and paste it !!  :blush: It is just something my weakening memory can't retain.  :no:

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2017, 01:58:23 PM »

as I still am unsure of how to take a snippet of a quote and paste it !!  :blush: It is just something my weakening memory can't retain.  :no:

Just quote the whole post then edit out the text you don't need prior to posting, now all you have to do is remember it  :P
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2017, 03:41:48 PM »

What were we talking about again ?? Is it someone's birthday ?? LOL. Cheers for the tip.  ;D ;D

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2017, 10:38:43 AM »

Can anyone confirm that G.fast pods are being attached to ECI cabinets too?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2017, 02:10:59 PM »

The make of FTTC cabinet makes no difference. It is only connected to the PCP. There's no connection in any way between the G.Fast pod and the fibre cabinet.

I've seen a G.Fast pod on a PCP with an ECI twin next to it, if that answers your question.

Edit: I thought you wouldn't benefit from G.Fast from the PCP anyway? If you don't get the full 80Mb currently, G.Fast won't help you.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 02:13:06 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2017, 04:52:12 PM »

I've seen a G.Fast pod on a PCP with an ECI twin next to it, if that answers your question.

Yes the G.Fast pod on an ECI twin answers my question.

I know its been said before that the cabinet doesn't make a difference. I was just wondering if OR were preferring to roll out to huawei first. But seen as you've seen them also on ECI then that answers my question.

I was being curious. I'm out of the G.Fast loop this time around  :(
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2017, 05:34:03 PM »

Yes the G.Fast pod on an ECI twin answers my question
It's not on the ECI twin, but on the PCP that has an ECI twin. Technically they can even be installed on PCP's with no fibre twin, but unlikely as there would be no power/fibre in the immediate vicinity.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2017, 06:47:51 PM »

There's no connection in any way between the G.Fast pod and the fibre cabinet.

Not strictly true, the G.Fast pod gets it's fibre connection and power from the FTTC cabinet

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/06/bt-openreach-reveals-g-fast-broadband-cabinet-extension-pod.html

but the cabinet based approach now appears to be the forming the main thrust of their roll-out. In this setup the G.fast extension (pod) is actually attached to the side of a normal green PCP cabinet, while the power and fibre optic cable are run in from the usually nearby FTTC / VDSL2 cabinet.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2017, 12:16:46 PM »

I think they attaching it to the PCP to avoid tie pair cable complications, it seems the tie pairs can be responsible for a fair bit of crosstalk and faults (Although the former managed by vectoring) so it was probably decided to avoid the use of tie pairs to reduce that complication.

lee111s

• Reg Member
« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2017, 12:24:19 PM »

I thought it was more so to reduce the copper run to the property as with G.fast, every metre counts.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #86 on: September 02, 2017, 12:25:45 PM »

every metre counts on vdsl as well, but yeah they may have have decided it counts more on g.fast.

lee111s

• Reg Member
« Reply #87 on: September 02, 2017, 01:24:12 PM »

Indeed, which is why the fibre cab must be within 100m at an absolute maximum, but G.fast is even more distance sensitive.

Plus the other bonus of PCP mounted G.fast pods is the lack of civils needed, which saves time, but more importantly, money.

spudgun

• Reg Member
« Reply #88 on: September 04, 2017, 05:47:54 PM »

Wholesale prices don't look too bad - http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/09/bt-wholesale-publish-160mbps-330mbps-g-fast-broadband-pricing-isps.html

Wonder when this will go live as my cabinet has a new g-fast pod on the side of it and i'm within 200m of cable run :-)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #89 on: September 04, 2017, 06:14:44 PM »

are they favouring non VM areas I wonder?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8