Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: G.fast commercial roll out in progress  (Read 28498 times)

stevebrass

• Reg Member
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: G.fast commercial roll out in progress
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2017, 10:32:46 PM »

I'm in Bath & G Fast pods are popping up cabinets at an alarming rate, still waiting for my cab to get one. :(

Yes, I saw a g.fast pod on Cabinet 5 of the Wandsworth exchange the other day - not sure when they installed it but suspect it was several weeks ago.

Not a surprise that they are installing more widely in advance of the commercial launch - it wouldn't have been practical for a proper launch with just the pilot areas - and its similar to the initial ADSL rollout which initially targeted 400 odd exchange areas from memory
I do wonder if areas getting g.fast now will wish that they were later on in the rollout so to get later generation hardware or if they would have been be more likely to get FTTP (once OR finish their consultation).

KIAB

• Reg Member
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2017, 10:41:09 PM »

Spotted an engineer from BNE (Barden Network Engineering) a sub contractor for Carillion, who was fixing a G Fast pod to my cabinet this evening at 6pm.  :silly:

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2017, 03:18:28 AM »

Migrate to Virgin. Or move closer.

no thanks on virgin :) I like consistent performance 24/7

Also I have no need for 100s of mbits/sec. :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2017, 03:21:13 AM »

Yes, I saw a g.fast pod on Cabinet 5 of the Wandsworth exchange the other day - not sure when they installed it but suspect it was several weeks ago.

Not a surprise that they are installing more widely in advance of the commercial launch - it wouldn't have been practical for a proper launch with just the pilot areas - and its similar to the initial ADSL rollout which initially targeted 400 odd exchange areas from memory
I do wonder if areas getting g.fast now will wish that they were later on in the rollout so to get later generation hardware or if they would have been be more likely to get FTTP (once OR finish their consultation).

indeed ECI users might benefit from this if openreach are actually only deploying these pods in hauwei areas.

It could go either way tho, openreach might move to a cheaper vendor (aka ECI on FTTC) later in the rollout which brings problems.  Hopefully they decide tho they want to do just FTTP after some early g.fast rollout.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2017, 07:19:02 AM »

no thanks on virgin :) I like consistent performance 24/7

Also I have no need for 100s of mbits/sec. :)

A very simple but concise statement ^^^, probably speaking for the majority of residential users nationwide.  ;) ;D

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2017, 10:13:26 AM »

ISP Review has a nice picture of the image of a g.fast pod.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/08/openreachs-new-g-fast-broadband-extension-pods-popping.html

It also goes into some detail about Ignitionnet's cab.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 10:18:06 AM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2017, 12:05:49 PM »

A very simple but concise statement ^^^, probably speaking for the majority of residential users nationwide.  ;) ;D

To be honest probably not. VM had to resurrect the 50Mb because people were too cheap to pay for the 100, so the evidence seems to indicate the majority people care little about anything other than the price :)

Cheers TalkTalk, Sky, etc, for that.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2017, 02:55:00 PM »

I think people care about price and a consistant service. I would imagine that people assume they are getting the listed download speed, even though its got "upto" next to it. At the moment, speedwise we're probably slightly ahead of the game in terms of 'most' peoples needs.

Though more and more services are requiring more bandwidth so when the service they have bought starts to struggle, which could happen at any time as all connections are different, people are going to be demanding more. It's going to force people to be more tech savvy, especially when the kids today get to their 20s. This 'tech savvy' thing with be normal.

I'm not expecting a lot of people to buy the G.fast service as it is now because most people will already have a working 80 down 20 up connection. If they have no complaints why would they change technologies? G.fast would have made a bigger impact further away from the cabinet. I'm saying this so if the take-up isnt big then the argument that "people dont want the speed" is slightly nulled. I'm getting in before that comes up lol  :P
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2017, 11:55:53 AM »

Official confirmation that OR have extended the g.fast pilot to 1m premises: http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,20170.0.html

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2017, 01:56:49 PM »

Don't care about g.fast. Don't need it.

lee111s

• Reg Member
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2017, 02:02:59 PM »

Constructive as ever max!

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2017, 03:23:45 PM »

The issue here is that they are giving faster speeds to those who are already getting the best speeds and ignoring everyone else.
They should be using G.Fast to boost the speed of those further from the cabinet - but of course that costs more and won't enable them to boast about how fast their service now is (for a lucky few).
 >:(
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2017, 03:48:19 PM »

Welcome to the world of business. Where have you been ??  ;)

lee111s

• Reg Member
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2017, 03:54:41 PM »

The issue here is that they are giving faster speeds to those who are already getting the best speeds and ignoring everyone else.
They should be using G.Fast to boost the speed of those further from the cabinet - but of course that costs more and won't enable them to boast about how fast their service now is (for a lucky few).
 >:(

10 million properties is a little more than "a few" though.

Come up with a cheap way to roll out fibre further though and I'm sure Openreach will welcome you with open arms.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

anything