Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Importance of router/modem positioning  (Read 2231 times)

Ixel

• Kitizen
Importance of router/modem positioning
« on: August 11, 2017, 11:34:36 AM »

Hi all,
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I figured a story and reminder of my recent experience on router/modem positioning would be interesting for some.

Well, as some already know, I was busy trying to stabilise the ASUS DSL-AC68U and I had quite a deal of success until I noticed I was getting some instability which I thought was down to me messing around with a setting that made matters worse (such as the bit swapping parameters). Turns out it may have not been that, DLM intervened so I went back to the DrayTek Vigor 2860ac with an SNRM of 11 dB (deliberately) and I was still getting hundreds of error seconds at INP 4 on downstream. I noticed there was a significant amount of interference around D2, so I then wondered if my homeplug being near to the router might be causing it.

As such, I decided to take a drastic series of steps to eliminate 95% of the possibility that it was something indoors or in the room that's causing noise around the D2 band.

First step, I moved the router away from the homeplug and online UPS and placed it next to the master socket (rather than about 1.5 meters away). It was also next to the Gigaset DECT base and Ubiquiti Wifi until I moved it away from the online UPS.

Next step, I took a cardboard box and cut out most of the bottom side so the router wasn't sitting on cardboard. I used tin foil and place it around the outside edges of the cardboard box. After that I made a lot of holes in it for reasonable ventilation. I've basically made a Faraday cage around the top and sides.

Final step, using some ferrite cores and a ferrite ring I used some of them on the RJ11 cable and some of them on the router's power supply cable.

End result, from hundreds of CRC errors and error seconds on INP 4, SNRM 11 dB and plenty of fluctuation just a bit past tone 2000, I'm currently at 1 error second and 1 CRC error in 11 hours uptime. Previously I would most definitely have more than 1 by that amount of uptime.

Hope someone finds this story useful or interesting!

EDIT: P.S. Forgot to mention that D2 is also pretty stable at the moment.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 11:39:45 AM by Ixel »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Importance of router/modem positioning
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 12:50:56 PM »

homeplugs the evil again ;)

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 12:56:39 PM »

homeplugs the evil again ;)

Yeah :(, it's a Devolo dLAN 1200+. Damn homeplugs, now I've probably got to wait 1-2 months (or maybe even a year if it's banded) before DLM slowly puts me back on fastpath/uncapped. I heard that a partial reset could be achieved if I downgrade my package from 80/20 to 40/10 (I'm with Zen), then later on upgrade back to 80/20. Even if that worked I don't want to commit to another 12 month contract if g.fast does become available to me within that timeframe based on being about 500 meters away.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 01:18:37 PM »

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I suspect that there are quite a lot of homes with similar set ups... and they blame the ISP/Openreach for poor performance.  Its therefore good to see someone who has a bit of initiative and attempts to diagnose and eliminate problems themselves.

We've known about the issues with homeplugs on here for years, but unfortunately a fully wired LAN isn't always possible in some homes.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 03:30:26 PM »

. . . I took a cardboard box and cut out most of the bottom side so the router wasn't sitting on cardboard. I used tin foil and place it around the outside edges of the cardboard box. After that I made a lot of holes in it for reasonable ventilation. I've basically made a Faraday cage around the top and sides.

With regards to your Faraday cage, to what type of earth connection did you connect it? The mains safety earth? Or a nice, quiet, dedicated signal earth?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 04:06:27 PM »

Yeah :(, it's a Devolo dLAN 1200+. Damn homeplugs, now I've probably got to wait 1-2 months (or maybe even a year if it's banded) before DLM slowly puts me back on fastpath/uncapped. I heard that a partial reset could be achieved if I downgrade my package from 80/20 to 40/10 (I'm with Zen), then later on upgrade back to 80/20. Even if that worked I don't want to commit to another 12 month contract if g.fast does become available to me within that timeframe based on being about 500 meters away.

still interesting that adding a shield round your unit works, so useful for others :)

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 04:49:30 PM »

With regards to your Faraday cage, to what type of earth connection did you connect it? The mains safety earth? Or a nice, quiet, dedicated signal earth?  :-\

Currently I'm earthing it using the mains since that was the easiest option available to me for an earth. However I'm not 100% sure whether or not it really needs earthing, there's mixed information on the internet about grounding Faraday cages.

https://smartmeterguard.com/products/router-guard inspired me somewhat, wish they were available in the UK.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 05:49:10 PM »

Most Modems these days should have a Radio frequency shield covering up sensitive components to stop RF getting out and unwanted RF getting in they are mini Faraday cages if you like and grounded to earth on the circuit board

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 07:11:10 PM »

Which earth?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 07:17:00 PM »

The negative one

anything