Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Can DSLstats use SSH instead of Telnet?  (Read 13127 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Can DSLstats use SSH instead of Telnet?
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2017, 07:01:15 AM »

There's nothing for you to apologise for, John. All suggestions are welcome, and without your help I wouldn't have got started. :)
  Eric

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2017, 09:14:34 AM »

Hi roseway

Many thanks

The additional stress then is the ssl encryption (it even happens on very low powered servers), so I'm thinking the router rebooted due to excessive heat or it simple ran out of resources perhaps.  Sorry if I am wrong

As I do not have or use zylex, does the zylex have ftp or can a folder be set to shared over network

My thinking is to change the collection of stats to collection of files by ftp or shared (but no encryption) and upload the commands as executable files, in a cron job on router

I'm sorry though, this may not be possible for many reasons, i.e. No ftp or shared folder over network or it may not be possible to add the files containing the commands and/or add to cron

I'll have a think though, but if router is rebooting regularly, then it is not usable

The other thought I had was to make dslstats collected data shareable with another dslstats from the computer dslstats is running on, in order for the second copy of dslstats to collect and process, so it has no need to contact router (essentially as per idea I mention earlier with router). You could then even go further and make the dslstats collecting by telnet to router the primary master, the dslstats then collecting from the primary master the slave, with a ping (or similar to primary master), to see if primary master is alive, if no response, the slave takes over collecting from the router and stops the collection of files from the primary master

I hope that makes a little sense, and apologise if I'm wrong sorry

Many thanks

John

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2017, 09:51:57 AM »

Hi

Sorry, I could be entirely wrong as do not use zylex but a better thought came to me

Does the zylex have/use multi Lan (192.168.1.1, 192.168.2.1 etc)

If it does, perhaps it allows telnet on each as a separate connection

Just a thought

Many thanks

John

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2017, 10:14:14 AM »

I do appreciate these suggestions, but I fear that they're becoming too complicated. The objective is to develop a version of DSLstats using a different protocol from telnet, which I can offer to users to install on Linux, Windows and Raspberry Pi systems without a lot of system intervention required of the users. It should also work on a variety of modems. The SSH option would have met these requirements, the only system intervention being to install libssh2 on Linux/RPi systems. I could package a suitable SSH support DLL with the Windows version.
  Eric

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2017, 11:48:23 AM »

Hi roseway

Many thanks and sorry, I thought of that afterwards

My other thought of multiple telnet sessions using subnet does not work on Draytek so guess that's out

I'm sure you realise, but if you release ssh as an option, I could appreciate you may become pestered if the router keeps rebooting, from users who perhaps do not fully understand and expect things to just work

Sorry if I am wrong and kudos to you for finishing work on ssh.

Many thanks

John

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2017, 11:57:29 AM »

Yes, your warning is understood. I won't be releasing it generally in its present state.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2017, 07:47:00 AM »

After more thought I'm putting this on ice now (apologies to NS who asked for it). I got it working, but it was putting too much stress on the modem, presumably because of the need for encryption. I don't want to release a program which might work with some modems, but might possibly damage others. Thank you for the help I've received in getting this far.
  Eric

Ansuel

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2017, 03:35:06 PM »

SSh connection would also be usefull for openwrt modem that doesn't have any telnet connection at all (only SSH for secure reason)
If you want i can test, as i really need dslstats to monitor my vdsl connection...

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2017, 07:19:46 PM »

I don't know whether I can help here. I don't have the resources to give ongoing support to something I can't personally test. I could possibly produce a one-off example, depending on what OS you want it for, but I really wouldn't be able to support it after that.
  Eric

Ansuel

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2017, 07:22:20 PM »

Os = windows...
Think my modem is enough powerfull to support multiple ssh connection. Can i test it pls?
(the idea about making SSH an option was good anyway)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2017, 10:38:17 PM »

OK, I'll see if I can build a Windows version. I do my development on a Linux machine, so that's what I used in my first experiment. It will take two or three days.
  Eric

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2017, 10:01:52 AM »

Hi roseway

I hope you do not mind, and I have thought about your offer to supply a test for ssh and the more I think about it, I do believe you should make a statement to exclude yourself and software from any blame, should anything untoward happen.

I'm thinking any issues would most likely be a dlm intervention (even banding) etc...

It's just my thoughts and I mean no offence to any user. It just covers you.

Many thanks

John

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2017, 10:16:21 AM »

Thank you for that excellent advice, John. As it happens, I do have a disclaimer at the bottom of my downloads page, but in this particular case I would make it more prominent if it does get released (which currently seems rather unlikely).
  Eric

Ansuel

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2017, 11:49:21 PM »

Can't wait to test it...

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2017, 06:59:55 AM »

I'm sorry Ansuel, but it isn't going to happen. I've already spent more time than I can spare on this without success, and I can't spend any more. Sorry.
  Eric
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4