Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Nosing in BT Wholesale ADSL checker found something!  (Read 8573 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Re: Nosing in BT Wholesale ADSL checker found something!
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 10:01:33 AM »

having read the comments in the ISP Review article about inaccuracies, I'm tempted to treat my find like a sleeping dog.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 10:20:22 AM »

That description looks a bit hard to implement but always nice to see how close DSLstats actually is to official test equipment documentation :)

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 04:33:15 PM »

I'm going to ask my own related question: How does it know if you have a NTEFaceplate?

I don't know exactly how it works, but it's mentioned in BT STIN 517 (SOGEA).
3.2.9 SOGEA Faceplate
SOGEA front-plates may contain passive electrical signatures that will allow Openreach to
determine which type of SOGEA face-plate is attached to the circuit. These circuits do not
change the electrical poperties of the line as defined in SIN349 [3].

The VRI and NTEFaceplate items in the checker are probably so that ISPs can determine if a line is ready for SOGEA or if they would need to send someone to fit an NTE5C and faceplate. Probably not so much about checking if you have the latest and greatest faceplate for your xDSL service.

The Bridge Tap item was added slightly earlier than the SOGEA items.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2017, 10:59:57 AM »

As my information came from the BT Wholesale ADSL checker, surely it would only be looking at the wiring up to the  BT - EU demarcation point. Wouldn't it?

As per my post above,  its identified by looking at the same data which is used for hlog graph.

A thought occurs.   The bridge tap on there will likely have been picked up by the equivalent of a hlog from line data, which [means] it may be possible to view using DSLstats and a compatible modem.

Not always easy to spot though unless its quite sharp or repetitive.  From the graph we have to use our eyes looking for variances.  If you have the raw data before its graphed, then it would be possible to specifically look and analyse for variances of more than 'x'dB within a certain range of tones.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2017, 02:59:23 PM »

I'm going to ask my own related question: How does it know if you have a NTEFaceplate?
It doesn't as my line at home (new curvy faceplate), and our FTTC in the office (Mk3) both show as "--".  Could it be that it's populated from OR test or visit reports, so only shown for lines where this has happened recently? 

smf22

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2017, 05:05:46 PM »

Could it be that it's populated from OR test or visit reports, so only shown for lines where this has happened recently? 

If it is populated once Openreach have visited, the results are not updated very often. I had an engineer round on 05-Sep and he swapped me to the new face plate... yet I'm still showing "--" on the checker.
BT FTTC 80/20 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A bridge mode + Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2017, 06:04:24 PM »

Reverting to my OP, I mentioned elsewhere that the extra info for the likes of bridge taps has been removed for various lines, but not everywhere. I cannot think, if it is doubted, why it hasn't been removed throughout.

More education for ren needed?
Pages: 1 [2]