Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Any value ... ??  (Read 12109 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Any value ... ??
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2017, 03:40:22 PM »

Latest ...

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2017, 04:56:54 PM »

3 days for retransmission to return after a DLM reset, sounds roughly right.

My lines been stuck on interleaving for months. We had a power outage earlier affecting 100,000+ properties. About 40 mins after my line came back up DLM resynced the line and reverted it to fastpath.
No idea if this is down to me capping the line for the previous 48 hours (extremely low ES, likely low enough to shake stuck interleaving), or if it's linked to the power outage, or it's after effects. After the outage the line resynced before crosstalkers, SNRM dropped to roughly 2dB, my sync was higher than it's been since new crosstalkers came online last week.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2017, 05:47:10 PM »

Cheers John ..... forgot to add the other data showing speed ...... Kitz was (of course) correct in her assumptions.  ;) :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2017, 06:01:56 PM »

thanks for update black sheep :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2017, 06:06:16 PM »

No worries, bud.  :)

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2017, 07:37:05 PM »

An ISP will never do it, they love been the middle man and witholding information so its all too easy to blame third party suppliers that the end user has no access to.

The only ISP that might do this could be Andrews & Arnold, should Openreach ever (doubtful) open up a bit more to ISP's in regards to DLM on FTTC.

-

@kitz: In regards to ASSIA and Openreach changes, for certain they changed the banding. For example, the minimum sync rate used to be half of the maximum sync rate (e.g. minimum 40Mbps, maximum 80Mbps) unless currently on an open wide profile. Now all banding has a minimum sync rate of 128Kbps. Beyond that I don't know if any other changes were made, certainly not that I could notice from the console on the DSL-AC68U.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2017, 12:43:54 AM »

Ixel you be surprised how open they already are, there is a lot of information available to isp's that doesnt go further then them.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2017, 07:19:45 PM »

Thanks vm BS for the update :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2017, 07:53:41 PM »

The only ISP that might do this could be Andrews & Arnold, should Openreach ever (doubtful) open up a bit more to ISP's in regards to DLM on FTTC.

-

@kitz: In regards to ASSIA and Openreach changes, for certain they changed the banding. For example, the minimum sync rate used to be half of the maximum sync rate (e.g. minimum 40Mbps, maximum 80Mbps) unless currently on an open wide profile. Now all banding has a minimum sync rate of 128Kbps. Beyond that I don't know if any other changes were made, certainly not that I could notice from the console on the DSL-AC68U.

The stuff I saw wasn't from AAISP, but they are perhaps the only ones that I could think of who would perhaps even think to integrate this into the customer portal. 

As Chrys pointed out, they do give ISP's a lot of info that isn't relayed back to the EU's.   ISP's were given a lot of info about DLM by BTw.  However its not in one 'book', but takes a lot of piecing together from various documents.   It took me a loooooong time to even attempt to put things into words that the layman would understand.   Before I did that I had to try and put something together which explained the hardware side first so that people would know what the various bits did.   No-one really wants to spend time and effort trying to collect it all together to explain to EU's when most of them either dont care, or wouldnt have a clue what you are talking about.   

There is only Chris Pettit from Plusnet that did so - I believe quite a lot of it in his own time. Then some of it changed soon after.  There was another rep from Zen who was also piecing things together but for some reason he abandoned it before it was complete. The beta tool for line info again was coded by an ISP rep in his own time.

ISP's get told each time DLM params such as MTBE & MTBR get changed, but the SP's don't seem to do much with this info and I doubt the info is ever retained for long because its passed to them in snippets amongst other info.

Re capping - we know for certain that BT had to change something on the NGA DLM after the ASSIA court case.  The 20CN/21CN appeared to be deemed OK and afaik no changes were ever made to those.   The only big difference with the NGA DLM is that they used speed caps rather than target SNRM.  Much of the other stuff is the same and of course G.INP is new since then, but even with G.INP the ISPs were told info that never really got much further into the public.   Plusnet was telling snippets and Ian Lawrence (OR chief engineer) either confirmed or told some new facts to us.  I admit he didn't answer all questions, but I am mindful that this was relatively soon after ASSIA..  there is no doubt that since then they have been a bit more reserved about what they say about DLM.  The other thing where we have some missing info on is how long it takes to reverse any DLM changes.

However ISPs do know MTBE/MBTR figures - supposedly to help them chose which profile they want to put their customers on.   They do get info like what BS has just shown us, only they only retain the last set.  They could easily retain more if they wanted.   They even have access to such things as how many errors the line has.   It's down to the the GUI interface thing again and up to the ISP to build something if they want to make use of the raw data.   Obviously someone at Openreach has coded something for their engineers, but even so the ISPs do still get quite a lot of data by the BTw & Openreach test suites that they can perform.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2017, 04:56:09 PM »

Update: No change to my DLM profile since the last one.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2017, 11:47:29 AM »

Still no change regarding DLM profiling .......... rather than keep posting that, I'll just re-visit here, if and when something further does occur ??

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2017, 01:51:33 PM »

Thanks BS.   Perhaps should have said in response to your post of the 14th, that I expect it will stay at this now for a little while.
0.128-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128-20M, Error Protection Off.

Yes please for when it starts making any changes to the Target SNRM, then please do let us know.  :)
-----
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

anything