Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SNRM impacted when raining or phone in use  (Read 1201 times)

happyhorse

• Just arrived
SNRM impacted when raining or phone in use
« on: August 07, 2017, 10:51:26 AM »

Hello all,

I was hoping someone might be able help with my line stats, in particular the variations in SNRM that occur when it rains or when the phone line is in use.

I've been logging to MDWS for some months now and have seen a consistent pattern of SNRM drops due to rain.  Both upstream and downstream are affected, although the impact is usually greater on the upstream value.  A couple of recent examples of this can be seen on July 29th and August 2nd.

More recently I've been seeing downstream dips every time the phone is in use.  Most of the time this seems to result in a temporary 1dB drop in downstream SNRM, but yesterday (August 6th) there was a more significant example in which the downstream SNRM went from 5.9dB down to 1.6dB before eventually recovering to 5.8dB.

In terms of setup, I have an HG612 connected directly to an NTE5C master socket with VDSL faceplate.  There is also a DECT phone connected to the master, and I have extension wiring from the filtered side of the master going to an ADT alarm. 

Fortunately, I've had no resyncs as a result of this but I wondered if it might be an indication of a line problem.  I've tried the BT quiet line test (with a corded phone), but that didn't seem to reveal anything untoward.

Thanks for your help.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: SNRM impacted when raining or phone in use
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 12:34:30 PM »

If SNRM is impacted during calls it suggests a possible high resistance fault on the line.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 06:00:02 PM »

If SNRM is impacted during calls it suggests a possible high resistance fault on the line.

Yes, that is my immediate thought. A developing HR or semi-conducting joint.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

happyhorse

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 06:28:01 PM »

Thanks.  Would my best best be to raise a phone line fault now (rather than waiting to see if it becomes more noticeable), and is there any additional data I should be trying to gather to help with that?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 06:39:12 PM »

If I have understood the situation correctly, you currently do not notice anything untoward when using the telephone. No clicks, buzzing, whooshing noises, cross-talk (from the local gossip), hum, etc. So you really do not have anything to justify making a telephony fault report.

My advice is to wait and see if the suspected fault develops into something that affects the telephony service . . . then make a fault report.

[Edited to correct spelling mistake.]
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 11:48:34 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

happyhorse

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 10:16:26 PM »

OK, that's what I'll do.  Thanks again for your help.

anything