Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Openreach Engineer told me the HG612 had been recalled.  (Read 2929 times)

V_R

• Reg Member
Openreach Engineer told me the HG612 had been recalled.
« on: December 01, 2017, 08:54:50 AM »

So I had a 'Fibre' Openreach engineer out a couple of days ago - Plusnet's decision, they said he needs to do a DLM reset.

As title,  when he got to mine he saw my HG612 and Asus RT-N66U and proceeded to tell me told me that the HG612 has been officially recalled by BT and I shouldn't be using it. He said I should only ever use the equipment that is provided by your ISP, in this case the PN Hub.   ???

I know they sent out replacement power adaptors as I got one a few years back due to the original ones have a small chance of failing or something.

I know this isn't true, is it!? I tried to argue with him but he wouldn't have it, I even Googled it in front of him!

Also, Plusnet wanted to do a DLM reset and he refused as he said and I quote 'it will upset the ports' - what exactly do we think he means by that? Or is he just talking utter nonsense?

Cheers.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 12:59:51 PM by V_R »
Zen Internet (80/20) on a Huawei 288 cab, via HG612 and an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin FW.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Openreach Engineer told me the HG612 had been recalled.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 10:20:35 AM »

He sounds confused to me  ??? ???
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 10:32:02 AM »

The HG612 isn't on the official Openreach approval list, but "recalled by BT" doesn't make sense here. And as for the other comments, I agree, he does sound confused.
  Eric

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 11:53:20 AM »

Sounds like an absolute idiot to me. They have never recalled the HG612.
You should use the ISP supplied device? What a load of nonsense. If you haven't switched ISP since being supplied the HG612 then IT IS the ISP supplied device. They have never swapped them out.

Also "upsetting the ports" is nonsense. He isn't supposed to do a DLM reset just because you ask. He can get in trouble for doing a DLM reset if he hasn't done any work in the network. If the job is specifically for a DLM reset then I'm not too sure on the protocol.

He really shouldn't just spew nonsense to customers though. It's often advised to leave feedback when you get a great helpful engineer. Well the same should be done for the useless ones.

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/contactus/tellussomething/tellus.do
Scroll down to "Let us know how we did"

What's Plusnet saying about it?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 11:54:11 AM »

I am very curious as to why its not on the approved list when its a openreach issued device and even has had firmware updates to enable g.inp to work.

By recall I expect he means openreach have stopped supporting it and he has just chosen bad words for it.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 12:27:04 PM »

If the job is specifically for a DLM reset then I'm not too sure on the protocol.

My guess would be that it wouldn't be possible if the job was just for a DLM reset (except in the case of Uno where I was told somewhere, can't remember where or by who now, but they told me that Uno was told by Openreach to ask for a frames engineer to do a DLM reset). I know when I had SFI engineers that the first one didn't do a DLM reset until I pointed out that the xDSL test can't be truly and fairly conclusive unless the connection is back on fastpath, then he reset DLM and did it again.

As for the HG612 being recalled, *laughs*. This engineer sounds confused to me. The first SFI engineer I had did sort of comment or complain about the fact I was using a HG612 but I said as it was officially Openreach supplied equipment and it still works fine with the current VDSL2 system I did this so no blame can be associated with my own equipment (plus for recording statistics).

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 01:13:11 PM »

Plusnet said they wanted to send him to do a DLM reset as they think my connection is being capped/banded.

They now say the fault is fixed, despite there being no difference what so ever. I've replied to that last night as am waiting for a reply.

I will check out that link, thank you.

Zen Internet (80/20) on a Huawei 288 cab, via HG612 and an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin FW.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 01:37:14 PM »

If they argue there's no banding then request a GEA test.

I understand them initially arguing the banding isn't affecting service and sorry we can't help you. That's not what happened though. They agreed to send an engineer to reset the DLM. They can't then change their mind and day it's fixed.

There's likely still hundreds of thousands of ECI/Huawei OpenReach modems still on the network. They have never replaced them. Unless you recontract/pay/ask nicely then ISP's don't rush to hand out the latest modem/homehub.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 07:37:22 PM »

They agreed to send an engineer to reset the DLM. They can't then change their mind and day it's fixed.

Why not? So they got it wrong with the sending an engineer to do a DLM reset. They must now stick with this mistake and continue to send out Openreach until they get someone who will just do a DLM reset?

Looking at V_R's other thread, there is no banding to be removed.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 09:30:51 AM »

I am very curious as to why its not on the approved list when its a openreach issued device and even has had firmware updates to enable g.inp to work.

None of the ISP modems such as BThub, Sky, HubOne etc are listed either yet they are MCT.   

I dont know if its still the case, but there were 2 routes for submitting modems for MCT testing.  ISPs could submit their modems for free - although they had to pay for retest if it failed. 

The 'public' list is those modems submitted by the manufacturers. BTw supply a list of those modems to all ISPs.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything