Broadband Related > Broadband Technology

How long for g.fast cabs to be activated?

(1/5) > >>

garypower:
Does anyone know how long it takes for g.fast cabs to become activated and how to tell?

I am lucky enough to live in one of the areas scheduled for the trial, and g.fast cabs started appearing all round the area from early to mid June.
The BT checker has no indication of any changes yet....

lee111s:

--- Quote from: garypower on August 02, 2017, 11:24:54 PM ---Does anyone know how long it takes for g.fast cabs to become activated and how to tell?

I am lucky enough to live in one of the areas scheduled for the trial, and g.fast cabs started appearing all round the area from early to mid June.
The BT checker has no indication of any changes yet....

--- End quote ---

I think I read September somewhere, but not 100% sure.

I suspect they're waiting for all the planned ones to be fitted and ready and will activate them all at the same time rather than making it ready as soon as one cab is complete.

Bowdon:
When we're all old and grey. We have a 1000 more presentations to sit through yet to tell us how good it is  ;D

On a serious note, I agree with lee that they are probably waiting until a certain number of g.fast pods are fitted before turning them all on over a period of time.

burakkucat:
Somebody please correct me if I am wrong . . .

ITU-T G.9700/G.9701 (formally known as G.Fast) uses time division duplexing and not frequency division duplexing, as currently used by G.992.1, G.992.3, G.992.5 & G.993.2 (i.e. xDSL) circuits.

Does anyone, especially those waiting for a "G.Fast pod" to be turned on, own a modem (or modem/router) that is capable of operating in TDD (time division duplexing) mode?  :-\

gt94sss2:

--- Quote from: burakkucat on August 03, 2017, 03:51:38 PM ---Does anyone, especially those waiting for a "G.Fast pod" to be turned on, own a modem (or modem/router) that is capable of operating in TDD (time division duplexing) mode?  :-\

--- End quote ---

There are some 3rd party g.fast modems out there already but Openreach will initially be providing their own modems (the Huawei MT992?) when they install the service - as they did with both ADSL and VDSL.

I suspect vendor compatibility will be important during the early days to get the best out of the service.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version