Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: House phone Caller Id - Can you make it work your self  (Read 1957 times)

portishead350

House phone Caller Id - Can you make it work your self
« on: August 02, 2017, 08:55:02 PM »

I am getting plusnet fibre this week.

Decided to bin the call package and Caller Id.  I saved loads  :P

So anyway,  plusnet obviously turn off the Caller Id if you don't pay up a quid a month  :no: 

Is there any little gizmo I can get to make my handset show the incoming numbers or is it completely blocked ???
Plusnet, fttc, Huawei cab. Yessss

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: House phone Caller Id - Can you make it work your self
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 09:14:21 PM »

Without Caller Id no signal will be sent down the line to give the callers number so there's nothing you can do at your end.

If you don't make many outgoing landline calls there are far cheaper ways to get a phone line - even allowing for the extra Plusnet charge for not having the phone with them. E.g. https://pulse8broadband.co.uk/line-packages
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 11:29:22 PM »

Without Caller Id no signal will be sent down the line to give the callers number so there's nothing you can do at your end.

If you don't make many outgoing landline calls there are far cheaper ways to get a phone line - even allowing for the extra Plusnet charge for not having the phone with them. E.g. https://pulse8broadband.co.uk/line-packages
I wouldn't be so sure about that, I recently rang a company i had purchased  goods from , my phone auto witholds caller ID ,  after several attempts and only getting their answer machine (did not leave a msg) to my surprise  later that day they rang me back so they somehow got my number even though it is withheld, the emergency services  can also see your caller ID
The telephone system, therefore, must always send that data, but CP's are able to block customers access to it, before  Caller ID became common place, there was some equipment available that was able to retrieve the ID by itself

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 12:21:14 AM »

Calling number, even if 'withheld' always travels with the call, all the way to the destination exchange.  Withholding your number just sets a flag, to say it should not be displayed.

The destination exchange then decides whether or not to disclose the number to the called party.   That decision will include whether or not the caller expressed a preference to  withhold their number, whether the called party can override that (emergency calls), and whether the called party has paid for caller id.   :)