Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Help, I can't reboot my VMG3925-B10B via telnet :(  (Read 9337 times)

bobis

Hello, I am new to these forums and first of all, I want to say thank you about that topic which unlocked my VMG3925 and was finally able to firmware upgrade it to   V5.13(AAVF.7)C0  http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=19022.75  :angel:

But , still cannot reboot it, do I really need to login via supervisor/root to do this? Is there any other command that I can do from "admin" user to reboot my gateway , since I don't have access to root/supervisor (not knowing the passwords and difficult to find according to http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,20006.0.html) ?

I just want telnet reboot because in my older Zyxel of P-870hn 51b I was able to daily reboot it when I had telnet access from another linux machine running on my LAN network (crontab -e and expect -f /root/zyxel.sh)

zyxel.sh was like this:

Code: [Select]
#!/usr/local/bin/expect
spawn telnet 192.168.1.1
expect "Login:"
send "admin\n"
expect "Password:"
send "mypassword\n"
expect ">"
sleep 1
send "reboot\n"
expect eof

Please, help me to make it work like this!  :o
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 05:59:27 PM by bobis »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Help, I can't reboot my VMG3925-B10B via telnet :(
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 08:41:04 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

I do not have any experience with the VMG3925-B10B so am uncertain as to what to suggest. Perhaps other members will be able to comment?

With my VMG1312-B10D, it is very simple . . . From the Busybox shell, attained via either ssh or telnet, the reboot command is available for use.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 09:52:14 PM »

If you type 'help' after logging on as admin, does the reboot command appear in the list? And if you manually issue it, does it reboot the device?
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 10:07:07 PM »

I have started to list all the directories on my 3925 and there does seem to be an entry called /sbin/reboot but I am loathed to try it as this is my live router.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 12:59:39 AM »

looks like 'admin' doesnt have permission

$ reboot
reboot: Operation not permitted

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 07:02:27 AM »

$ reboot

That's just plain wrong. Admin has the ability to do this through the web interface, plus as there is a power button on the back of the router anyone just being physically next to it can power cycle it and thus reboot it. That's what admin's job is anyway.

Stuart

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 07:53:36 AM »

Tell zyxel that not me :)

bobis

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 07:58:08 AM »

$ reboot

Yeah, this is exactly my output message, any workaround/fix?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 08:04:31 AM »

Tell zyxel that not me :)

Yes I was hoping bobis would do that, sounds like a bug, unless his is an ex-ISP supplied router with their own modified f/w.

Stuart

bobis

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 08:09:17 AM »

Yes I was hoping bobis would do that, sounds like a bug, unless his is an ex-ISP supplied router with their own modified f/w.

Stuart

Wel, to be honest , I bought my VMG3925-B10B (brand new) from an UK seller from ebay (I am not from UK) and although no ISP icon/symbol was in the package/gateway/web_interface , it sounded weird that I didn't have access to firmware update first, but thanks to a guy in this forum with the zycli command , I managed to clear it and then upgrade it to the latest current firmware....but still I cannot reboot it as admin user in telnet/ssh :(
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:13:14 AM by bobis »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 09:07:17 AM »

The issue with ebay sellers is that they often sell these things as brand new in retail packaging but it can still be originally from an ISP. The only way I believe to be sure about routers is to specifically ask if it is an ex-ISP one and if they lie and you find it is then you have a good case to return it as it was not as described. I am not saying all sellers are like this but undoubtedly some are either through ignorance or maybe deliberately.  The reason you had to do the save_default clean is because this router did have some customisation in it and therefore I believe it is likely to have been ex-ISP. Now original ZyXEL firmware 'should' put it back to default retail state but you never know what else may have been messed with. The only way to be 100% sure it is a retail box is to buy from a retail outlet, but we all like a bargain and that's why ebay sellers do a trade but sometimes you can come unstuck.

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 09:09:16 AM »

$ reboot

Can you see the reboot option in the web interface when logged on as admin? My problem is that as I do have the supervisor p/w I have changed the privileges for admin and can't remember if that was one I added.

Stuart

bobis

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 10:10:30 AM »

Can you see the reboot option in the web interface when logged on as admin? My problem is that as I do have the supervisor p/w I have changed the privileges for admin and can't remember if that was one I added.

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

I can reboot it via web interface 192.168.1.1 as admin account (the only account I can login) but can't do it via "reboot" command in telnet/ssh.

Since I currently have an open ticket with Zyxel relating to the firmware update problem (I discovered this site after the ticket opening :/) can I ask them for root/supervisor password?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 10:17:47 AM »

Several others are attempting this at present but they seem to be having problems. ZyXEL, I suppose quite correctly, are asking users to prove they have a retail box before maybe giving it out. Obviously they do not want to allow end users to mess with ISP provided (owned?) routers and I can understand that is many ways. However if you can assure them yours is a retail box you may get lucky.

Stuart

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 10:29:11 AM »

Yeah, this is exactly my output message, any workaround/fix?

get root/supervisor password.

Several others are attempting this at present but they seem to be having problems. ZyXEL, I suppose quite correctly, are asking users to prove they have a retail box before maybe giving it out. Obviously they do not want to allow end users to mess with ISP provided (owned?) routers and I can understand that is many ways. However if you can assure them yours is a retail box you may get lucky.

Stuart

Was yours not an ex isp unit?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 10:35:03 AM by Chrysalis »
Pages: [1] 2

anything