Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Vodafone Fibre speed - Line fault?  (Read 1605 times)

b1gdeano

• Just arrived
Vodafone Fibre speed - Line fault?
« on: July 30, 2017, 11:38:29 AM »

Ok,

I recently moved into my new home a couple of months ago and got Vodafone as my FTTC provider.

When it was initially setup the synch speed went to about 52Mbps Down and 16Mbps Up - this lasted only a short while before slowly falling down to 46Mbps which was below the 48 Minimum Guaranteed speed so I could get them to send an engineer.

By the time an engineer attended the down speed was at 32Mbps. Now as soon as I moved in I noticed that the "master" socket wasnt a master socket but a very, very, old normal BT socket. No test socket under it when unscrewed but a lovely big capacitor! Very old BT logo on it to from the 1980s and so suspected this may cause speed issues and it did!

Openreach engineer came and replaced this socket (stating he hasnt seen one this old for a long time) and provided me a nice new NTE5 socket. He also replaced the box where the cable from the pole connects to the house as a precaution. Once the Vodafone connect router was powered back up the synch jumped from the 32Mbps to 42Mbps but this was still lower than the 46Mbps when I called them in the first place. He said it should sort itself out in time, but a day later it had synched to 50Mbps but that lasted a day or two before retunring to 48.6Mbps

A week or so later it dropped down to 46.5Mbps so I called them again as it was under 48Mbps, and the guy at tech support did some tests and stated that he could see an "Unbalanced Cable" so they sent another engineer out, but unfortunately this was a kelly group engineer as opposed to a true OR one. In true Kelly group style the guy didnt much want to hang around or do to much testing just saying that BT had told him that if the speed was over 32Mbps there isnt anything wrong with the line! As it was over 46Mbps then its running brilliantly, faster than it should be! Needless to say I wasnt too impressed with wasting my time waiting for him to attend to just state that to me. He also didnt seem to know or care about the "Unbalanced Cable" fault that was detected so just left the house.

Since then I have been living with connection speed of approx 47.5Mbps Down & 16Mbps UP - the Up speed never changed much tbh

I decided to replace the Vodafone router with a TPlink VR900 V1- this did initially synch to similar speeds as before but after I had to unplug to move it, the synch speeds are slower on the UP at 14.8Mbps and similar Down 47.5Mbps

I am beginning to think the line has issues but I am not sure how to go about getting this fixed as after the last engineer visit Vodafone sounded like they werent going to look into it anymore all that much and stated it would seem that is the max my line can support and I am free to leave the contract due to being under their agreed terms speed.

Here are my line stats from the VR900

INDEX=1
{
enable=1
status=Up
linkEncapsulationRequested=
linkEncapsulationUsed=G.993.2_Annex_K_PTM
modulationType=VDSL2
lineEncoding=
allowedProfiles=8a,8b,8c,8d,12a,12b,17a,30a
currentProfile=17a
X_TP_VDSLProfiles_8a=1
X_TP_VDSLProfiles_8b=1
X_TP_VDSLProfiles_8c=1
X_TP_VDSLProfiles_8d=1
X_TP_VDSLProfiles_12a=1
X_TP_VDSLProfiles_12b=1
X_TP_VDSLProfiles_17a=1
X_TP_VDSLProfiles_30a=1
X_TP_VDSLProfiles_US0_8a=1
dataPath=Interleaved
interleaveDepth=0
lineNumber=0
upstreamCurrRate=14881
downstreamCurrRate=47670
upstreamMaxRate=14877
downstreamMaxRate=47796
upstreamNoiseMargin=59
downstreamNoiseMargin=63
upstreamAttenuation=262
downstreamAttenuation=159
upstreamPower=66
downstreamPower=130
ATURVendor=
ATURCountry=
ATUCVendor=
ATUCCountry=
totalStart=63024
showtimeStart=40249
quarterHourStart=0
X_TP_Bitswap=On
X_TP_SRA=On
X_TP_AdslModulationCfg=VDSL2
X_TP_AnnexType=Annex A
X_TP_SupportAdslMode=VDSL2:A;T1.413:A;G.dmt:A;ADSL2:A,A/L/M;ADSL2+:A,M,A/L/M;ADS
L Auto Sync-up:A/L/M;Auto Sync-up:A/L/M
}
cmd:SUCC
TP-LINK(conf)#

So - is my line crap?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Vodafone Fibre speed - Line fault?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 12:02:18 PM »

Yeah I see it both ways.

You are only slightly below the min speed, so that in itself is not the end of the world.

However what I find more of an issue is that you had an engineer refuse to remedy a failed GEA line test.  The GEA line test is itself an openreach provided tool so they should honour and rectify faults reported by it.

b1gdeano

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 12:11:04 PM »

In my experience with Kelly group engineers, and its quite substantial in my line of work, they will actively avoid anything that takes too much time and do the bare minimum possible to sign a job off and get paid.

Thats the problem with using contractors paid by a "per job" basis. Even if another engineer has to attend to put right what they either did or didnt do, they still get paid once the job is "complete"

I actually told my BT account manager at my old workplace that we will refuse any Kelly group engineer if they turn up on site and to only send true OR engineers - quite simply got fed up with bodged jobs needing another visit from an OR engineer to rectify...

That max line speed also fluctuates - it was up over 50 a little while ago before dropping

As an aside - does anyone know if I got a new line installed to the house from BT that it would make any difference to the speeds if I moved over to using the new line?

lee111s

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 11:43:24 PM »

They'd likely just use up another pair in the existing cable.

What does https://www.dslchecker.bt.com show for your line? If the number doesn't work, use the address checker.