Announcements > Site & Forum Discussion

Spam.. From you :(

(1/15) > >>

AndrueC:
So I just received some spam sent to me using the address that I have only ever given to this site. My policy for years has been unique address for every contact. I suggest that the forum administrator start investigating their system as it seems likely they have been compromised and their database is no longer secure.

I forget when I registered for access to this site but I can assure you that only I and the database ought to know that address. I have now blacklisted the address so the only way to contact me is currently through this forum thread.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disposable_email_address#Advantages_over_traditional_email

"Additionally, because access has been narrowed down to one contact, that entity then becomes the most likely point of compromise for any spam that account receives (see "filtering" below for exceptions). This allows users to determine firsthand the trustworthiness of the people they share their DEAs with. "Safe" DEAs that have not been abused can be forwarded to a real email account, while messages sent to "compromised" DEAs can be routed to a special folder, sent to the trash, held for spam filtering, or returned as undeliverable if the DEA is deleted outright."

Ronski:

--- Quote from: AndrueC on July 28, 2017, 08:52:19 PM ---I forget when I registered for access to this site but I can assure you that only I and the database ought to know that address.

--- End quote ---

FYI taken from your user profile:

Date Registered:    June 25, 2012, 09:21:46 AM

d2d4j:
Hi

I think you make a bold statement sorry

There are infect numerous systems which could be compromised, including the computer you have the account setup on

I would ask if any other user has seen similar spam messages about the same time frame.

If so, it may infer a compromise of kitz db, but I stress infer as a hack would usually yield a mass spam send to all

It could just be a wild guess or random email address creation (yes it does happen, which those who work in this field know and would have seen themselves)

I am not saying your wrong or right but just pointing out various other reasons for seeing spam in the account in question.

Also, the headers would have been more beneficial

I do think though, if no other user has received spam in the timeframe then it is likely not to be a compromise of kitz db

Many thanks

John

roseway:
I agree with what John said above - it's extremely unlikely that just a single email address would be affected if the site were compromised. Of course we'll investigate, but one thing I can assure you of: there was no leak (deliberate or accidental) by any of the very small number of people who have access to user email addresses.

j0hn:
What a load of nonsense.
Spam sends to random emails, it doesn't need to have been taken from this site.
I've had spam sent to an email the day I created it, before using it even once.
I haven't received a spam email to the address registered on this site for many many months, and it's not the only site I use it on.

I think that was an extremely bold statement, and personally think it deserves an apology. The owner of this site has spent thousands of hours creating tutorials, guides, wikis, administering the forums, etc.
She does all this without filling the site with ads and trying to make money off it. You receive 1 spam email in over 5 years and jump to a ridiculous conclusion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version