Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: back on and now this  (Read 3918 times)

toxic

• Just arrived
back on and now this
« on: May 02, 2008, 05:07:06 PM »

jst recently switched phone providers, phone went dead so i had to reorder broadband, bb came on 2day and these are the new states, jst curious of what has caused the higher line att and lower snr, could it be that am on a further circuit, i know my line route hasn't been changed, any ideas on how to get it bk to how it was

this is the pic b4 i got cut off. dint go to well lastnite, line must have dropped about 10 times and then decided jst to turn the router off, my upstream snr seems quite low considering to what it was like b4, if i were to ask my isp to put me bk on the old block i was on, how would i come across explaining my self, u guys know what its like these days with tech support, would i ask to be put on a different circuit or different dslam.

b4

now

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: back on and now this
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 10:43:35 AM »

Hi and welcome.

Im not sure why your attenuation would have changed.. 
Normally one reason could be the router but I notice bothe graphs show the ST 585.
Are you using the connection from the master socket?

The physical line should remain the same during a swap of phone providers...  but saying that it should be seamless and you shouldnt be without service for any period of time. :/

>> if i were to ask my isp to put me bk on the old block i was on

If you mean adsl block at the exchange, then you will never be back on the same block on the MDF that you were previously.  The downtime and switch of providers now points to LLU, therefore you will be on a different block and then handed over to the ISPs' DSLAM. (handover frame).  Is your ISP still the same?
If you are on LLU then each provider in the exchange will have their own handover frame.

Your bit rate loading looks more or less the same, although I notice the attitional tones available previously - although why they are off the end of the graph I dont know Im afraid.  Those additional frequencies could have given you just that bit more stability.

Theres also the possibility that the instability could be caused due to the fact that with the adsl just being reconnected again... that you have now once again recommenced a new training period and going through different profiles.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

toxic

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 11:43:06 AM »

well thanx for the reply and info, am jst gonna leave it as it is, al be moving on2 llu soon, i cant get my head round why my line att has gone up. its probably becuz i might be on an extention in the exchange, who knows.

thanx for the reply

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 02:01:03 PM »

Im sorry I couldnt help further...   the slight increase shouldnt really make too much difference but it can be annoying why this has happened.

>> al be moving on2 llu soon

Are you sure youre not on LLU now?  If youve moved to another telco carrier (such as Talktalk) then there a strong possibility that your adsl is also unbundled.   For eg... AOL and TT are actually in bed with each other.. and AOL dslams can actually go down the same backhaul as the CPW ones.  Aside from that AOL have been moving their users over to TT LLU without their knowledge.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

toxic

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 06:51:35 PM »

the line is still showing adsl and not adsl2, plus i can still run the bt test which suggests i am still on the bt equipment.
just got of the phone with my isp and every time they run a line test, the line seems to go dead for about 20 seconds, they told me summit to do with conflict between the line signal and dsl signal, any ideas, ps thanx for the reply.

thanx for the reply

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 03:34:55 PM »

>> plus i can still run the bt test which suggests i am still on the bt equipment

yep correct :)

>> every time they run a line test, the line seems to go dead for about 20 seconds,

Some of the tests that an ISP can perform via WOOSH are classed by BT as "Intrusive" and can made you loose your connection whilst they run it.  Theres a whole suite of tests that the ISP can perform and its up the the ISP whether they do an intrusive test or not - but if they are doing then they should advise you. Some of the tests only affect dsl data and affect the data components.. but if they are doing a line test then they should advise you and tell you that you shouldnt make any calls whilst that test is being performed.

-----

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 10:53:11 PM »

Soz but Ibm reading this on a blackbury so i can't see the stats. what was the old and new downstream attenuation. I got a bizzare result today on the IDF off a LLU MUX and one last week so I'm curious, ta

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 11:14:56 PM »

>> Ibm reading this on a blackbury so i can't see the stats. what was the old and new downstream attenuation

lol you must be in the pub then ezzer :D

Old atten = 39dB
New atten = 42dB
-----

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 11:42:15 PM »

Quiz night tonight (came second, diasterous first 2 rounds made it up and lost by 1 point) and i'm rostered off tomorrow.  ;D

I'm getting 4db attenuation off LLU equipment on the IDF with no load lately yet ok under 60db attenuation load all seems normal and ok at the end user. I'm going to have to  recheck what type of LLU I'm testing to in case therebs a new querk :-\