Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Speed Drop From 76mb to 53mb FTTC  (Read 1916 times)

mem1991

• Just arrived
Speed Drop From 76mb to 53mb FTTC
« on: July 24, 2017, 12:39:55 PM »

hello everyone, 

Wondering if anyone has come across this issue before,

So for a year and a half i had Been with EE Fibre Broadband, at which during that time the speeds i was getting was 77mb/20mb Upload i was pushing 80mb Downstream on some days now all of a sudden at the start of march this year without any disconnections or line drops the speed dropped to 53mb and has been like that ever since, I Have now changed broadband provider from EE to Sky Fibre. The speeds given to me at the time with EE & Sky states 76.5mb

Since noticing the drop in speed i contacted EE since they was the original providers that saw me hit speeds of 76+mb they arranged an engineer visit however this was on the day of my switch over to sky so unfortunately the open-reach engineer couldn't do much but the usual speed tests and line tests.

I then rang sky and told them of the issue to at which point they had arranged another Open-reach engineer and he was able to do every test the first engineer couldn't apon checking the line which was clean and no issues found the open-reach engineer advised for a Boost for Fibre Engineer to investigate the issue further and try improve the speed

Both engineers checked the line, the speed & went to the cabinet which is around 510 metres away even at the cabinet the sync speed is set to 80/20 yet im unable to achieve even that.

ive just had my 3rd engineer visit today annoyingly which wasn't A Boost for Fibre Engineer he done the same results and yet again the job has been closed with no improvement,

a 4th engineer is now arranged for tomorrow for this to hopefully be the Boost For Fibre Engineer (FTTC3) from what i was told by sky

has anyone had this issue before ?

Thanks

[Moderator edited to remove personal information from the second image.]
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 06:10:40 PM by burakkucat »

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Speed Drop From 76mb to 53mb FTTC
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 02:49:38 PM »

Do you have any router stats from when you were getting 77mb?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 03:30:42 PM »

may be extreme crosstalk so i would expect them to try a pair swap and/or tie pair swap to resolve it given you below the estimate and handback

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 04:04:37 PM »

This sounds like crosstalk to me.  I have lost 40%+ over years.

At your distance / line attenuation I think 53mb is still a good speed albeit not as good as BT checker says but at your distance your line seems average.

Pair swap may work but what if it is worst or next day the cabinet gets another customer and is now a major cross disturber again?  I have a disturber that knocks a good 15mb of my speed, one that knocks 10mb off and a few smaller ones at 5mb.

Would you hand back line and go back to ADSL 53mb is still much faster.

I have given up on my line hopefully when 3db and Ginp is enabled on the eci cab I will get some speed back but  I would rather have what I have than BT breaking it and or man BT it worse and be in a worse position.

Without vectoring crosstalk is an inherent problem of fttc you just have to live with.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 04:08:05 PM by ktz392837 »

mem1991

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 04:57:28 PM »

This sounds like crosstalk to me.  I have lost 40%+ over years.

At your distance / line attenuation I think 53mb is still a good speed albeit not as good as BT checker says but at your distance your line seems average.

Pair swap may work but what if it is worst or next day the cabinet gets another customer and is now a major cross disturber again?  I have a disturber that knocks a good 15mb of my speed, one that knocks 10mb off and a few smaller ones at 5mb.

Would you hand back line and go back to ADSL 53mb is still much faster.

I have given up on my line hopefully when 3db and Ginp is enabled on the eci cab I will get some speed back but  I would rather have what I have than BT breaking it and or man BT it worse and be in a worse position.

Without vectoring crosstalk is an inherent problem of fttc you just have to live with.

Thankyou for all your comments guys!! it was indeed crosstalk!! which is so annoying since at the time last year not many people was on fibre! however after the last engineer he got 69mb speed since he switched it to another line and it seems the one im now on must be lucky enough to not have much crosstalk on im now stable at 70mb speed which is as the engineer said the best i will get now since theres more demand for fibre on my line

Thanks for all your help :) least ive got my 70mb back anyway!

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 05:33:55 PM »

Crosstalk is a lottery nobody wants a ticket for. The unfortunate nature of it means that a neighbouring line could go live tomorrow and make it worse than the previous pair. At least it's fixed for now.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM