Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Static vs Dynamic WAN IP - Gaming Performance/Differences (PLUSNET)  (Read 2461 times)

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member

Hi so,

When I was jsut on a normal dynamic IP with plusnet certain games wouldn't connect to servers (dedis, other peoples connections) but as soon as i change to a static ip from plusnet it instantly connects.

Can anyone tell me the differences between the 2 are, obviously apart from one of them being static. Is a static IP less strict? Different gateways, DNS?

I also had this issue with BT, but they dont have an option for a static IP, plusnet static IP seems to revolve all issues connecting to servers/dedis. Im just trying to work out why having a static IP fixes this issue instantly, and why it doesnt seem to connect at all to some peoples servers.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 09:55:16 PM by Geekofbroadband »

Splash

Re: Static vs Dynamic WAN IP - Gaming Performance/Differences (PLUSNET)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 11:09:01 AM »

Neither a static nor a dynamic address would impose restrictions on your outbound traffic. If there's issues with external services, it's nothing to do with the type of address allocation.

It could be that when you use a dynamic address, the address is a part of a block of addresses (we call this a subnet) which are blocked by the service you're trying to access.

Note: a given single address could be blocked, not necessarily the whole subnet.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 12:47:30 PM »

I've spent quite a number of years on the IRC platform and every so often I'd get a dynamic ip address that had been blocked from the system. There are quite a lot of groups that carry block lists. Luckily in the cases I had to deal with, it just manually needed me to go and de-register it from their list.

There are websites that will show if your ip address is being blocked. It's normal that some groups will be blocking ip's.. i.e. i've never seen an ip address pass OK will all block lists.

I would suggest that with a dynamic ip address maybe it takes a different route (?) to the servers. I know that routing can be a pain in the butt. My other half is currently at her parents place in the US, and their isp as rubbish routing. I can usually connect to US servers better than she can. She can get a better lag free game playing on the EU servers I think because of the good atlantic routing. That's not an uncommon experience.

I know some people who have bad routing get an improvement just by using a vpn.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Iain

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 01:10:36 PM »

PlusNet have expanded their network recently, and to do so have used IP addresses gained from other parts of the BT Group, including Infonnet which is based in the states. As such many people have had issues getting access to some sites as they still show up as being US based. PN's static range are and have been for some time UK owned and based.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 08:20:06 PM »

Also, they go through different parts of Plusnet's network:

Static -> WBMC Shared
Dynamic -> WBMC Dedicated
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 06:50:10 PM »

So we still have the issue with people connecting to each other, only seems to be happening to around 30-35% of people trying to join servers.

But we found something new out which is quite weird but no confirmed, we tested that people with any of the same numbers in an IP cant join.

So for example, someone with 109.168.08.112 could not connect to someone with 117.109.07.113 because they both contained 109 even though are different IPs.

This seems to be happening when the numbers are next to each other xxx.xxx.xx.xxx but can also happen when they are not xxx.xxx.xx.xxx

It might be a bug in the dedi software, but does anyone know what this could be?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 06:54:12 PM by Geekofbroadband »