Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New information showing on DSL Wholesale Checker  (Read 5512 times)

PhilipD

• Reg Member
New information showing on DSL Wholesale Checker
« on: July 17, 2017, 06:32:14 PM »

Hi

Just noticed on the www.dslchecker.bt.com page that it is now SSL plus (for me at least) showing more information which is VRI and NTEFaceplate.  I've no idea what VRI is.

Regards

Phil

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: New information showing on DSL Wholesale Checker
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 07:08:24 PM »

I've got exactly the same showing, even the date is the same. I also have an NTE faceplate, but it says I don't, perhaps the info hasn't been updated yet.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 07:13:19 PM »

Seem to have a Bridge Tap U and a dash for VRI and Faceplate last tested 15/4/2017

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 07:23:28 PM »

I also have an SSFP, but the modem isn't connected directly to it, but via an unfiltered extension from the A/B terminals, so they probably wouldn't be able to detect that I have an SSFP.
  Eric

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 07:59:07 PM »

I assume this data only shows on a number check? number check doesnt work for me as I have an LLU line.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 08:24:41 PM »

Seem to have a Bridge Tap U and a dash for VRI and Faceplate last tested 15/4/2017

Does the U mean unknown, or something more technical, and what is VRI?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 08:35:44 PM »

Does the U mean unknown, or something more technical, and what is VRI?

No idea as far I know it could mean the Upstream just need to see what other users are seeing.

PS are those photos misplaced it should have been placed in another thread ? http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,19703.45.html
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 08:40:13 PM by NewtronStar »

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 08:41:29 PM »

Yes I think U indicates Unknown. A Bridge Tap would be detected from HLog data. If you're on ADSL, it shows as U for Unknown because they wouldn't have any VDSL2 HLog data from your modem.

VRI and faceplate type will be related to SOGEA. Refer to BT STIN 517 from http://www.btplc.com/sinet/

VRI probably is Voice Reinjection Isolation. With SOGEA, you'd have no phone service from the exchange, but you might have a modem/router that contains an ATA (Analogue Telephony Adaptor) to generate the phone signals which could then be connected to your internal telephone extension sockets so that all your old telephones would still work. For this, Openreach want a faceplate that isolates the voice signals on the internal phone wiring from the incoming phone line.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 09:20:50 PM »

Am I the only one to note the illiteracy of the "BT Entity" who created the template for the pages so displayed?

"Premise environment" Huh?  ???  :-X

My big hint to British Telecommunications plc is "Premises environment".  ::)  :D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 09:35:58 PM »

Yes I think U indicates Unknown. A Bridge Tap would be detected from HLog data. If you're on ADSL, it shows as U for Unknown because they wouldn't have any VDSL2 HLog data from your modem.

VRI and faceplate type will be related to SOGEA. Refer to BT STIN 517 from http://www.btplc.com/sinet/

VRI probably is Voice Reinjection Isolation. With SOGEA, you'd have no phone service from the exchange, but you might have a modem/router that contains an ATA (Analogue Telephony Adaptor) to generate the phone signals which could then be connected to your internal telephone extension sockets so that all your old telephones would still work. For this, Openreach want a faceplate that isolates the voice signals on the internal phone wiring from the incoming phone line.

I did suggest an another web site that VRI was Virtual Reality Installation. It had a mixed reception.
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 03:52:26 PM »

Am I the only one to note the illiteracy of the "BT Entity" who created the template for the pages so displayed?

"Premise environment" Huh?  ???  :-X

My big hint to British Telecommunications plc is "Premises environment".  ::)  :D
Why not something like; Line, Local, or Circuit?

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 11:54:21 AM »

I have the latest curvy faceplate, but the checker still says N.  Last test date 18/05/2017.   I wonder if the faceplate info is only added based on engineer visit reports?

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 06:50:11 PM »

Depends what N indicates, it could be for Normal rather than Yes/No. According to the SOGEA STIN document, there were various different types of faceplate being tested.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 07:12:21 PM »

Well since my last look it has changed while using the NTE5C MK4

Bridge Tap U = Unknown

VRI N =  This is the ideal value and indicates that VRI is either not in play or has been successfully isolated. Alternatively ‘Not Detected’ can be returned, if the another condition on the line is masking the ability to detect it.

NTEFaceplate O =  Refers to the CCU switch position intended to support an narrowband voice service (WLR/MPF) or b) the position intended to support SSFP VDSL2 service
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 07:33:14 PM by NewtronStar »

anything