Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HLog & QLN  (Read 3626 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
HLog & QLN
« on: July 16, 2017, 09:08:55 PM »

While I appreciate that the HLog & QLM parameters are only produced when the modem/router is actually synch'ing with the DSLAM and do not update until the next re-synch., I have very little appreciation the significance of the graphs produced in DSLStats or any similar stat's. monitoring program.

I would greatly appreciate if any of the very knowledgable forum members could perhaps explain the significance of the HLog & QLN graphs, ie., what does good & bad look like ?
I am on PN 38/2 fibre and have attached by latest DSLStats HLog & QLN graphs for reference.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: HLog & QLN
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 10:01:51 PM »

no comment on the hlog, but to me the QLN looks quite good for a vdsl line. Low levels of crosstalk on the DS, moderate levels on the US.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 10:40:32 PM »

Chrysalis, many thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

Please excuse my ignorance on this matter but what would higher levels of crosstalk look like on the graph, perhaps bigger spikes on the graph lines ?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 12:30:39 AM »

yeah the lines would be higher, -140 is usually around the base level of no crosstalk.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 12:35:53 PM »

hlog - Looks ok for a long line - Nice smooth drop off and no indication of any problems with the physical line.

QLN - Line looks relatively quiet.  Shows a few line spikes at around tone 150 - 200.   Those particular tones can often be affected by RFI (radio transmission) so its not unusual to see spikes in that area, particularly if you live near a radio transmitter.

Tones 320 to 500 shows possible crosstalk typical from an adsl2 connection in the same binder.   Its sometimes difficult to diagnose in D1 due to PSD masking, which is why you see how the graph goes up after tone 550ish.
Tones 1450 to 1700 shows a bump typical of crosstalk centred around tone 1600 which tends to 'spread' over a band of frequencies.

Spikes = RFI/EMI noise.   Smooth bumps over a wider range of tones = crosstalk.

*Please note I have been approximate with the tone numbers - you would need to zoom in on the graph for more exact figures
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 02:32:58 PM »

kitz, thank you so much for your detailed explanations, much appreciated.
I have diligently read all of your excellent site guides but could not find any detailed, definitive guide to analysis of Hlog & QLN, this explanation certainly helps a lot.

Zooming of the graphs is now so easy on the MDWS site, can certainly home in on the tone ranges in question for more detailed analysis.

Am I correct in thinking that the Hlog & QLN graphs represent a snapshot of a very small area in time as they are taken just prior to the modem synch'ing with the DSLAM so would really only represent that instant in time ?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 03:45:12 PM »

Am I correct in thinking that the Hlog & QLN graphs represent a snapshot of a very small area in time as they are taken just prior to the modem synch'ing with the DSLAM so would really only represent that instant in time ?

Yes, that's correct.
  Eric

anything