Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Extra cabinets in my area  (Read 2195 times)

TheKeymeister

Extra cabinets in my area
« on: July 11, 2017, 09:30:21 PM »

Hi,
Although I used to work for BT, I was exchange based so my knowledge of cabinets etc is limited,
In the area I now live (Billinghay exchange), the cabinet I am connected to (Cab 3) is around 950m from my house, unfortunately there was a new cab (Cab 6) installed in the second phase of the development I live in which is only 140m away, fibre enabled, and serving just 87 people. My speed isn't horrendous (around 20mb on a good day) but obviously could be better, but I know I can't complain as there's many much worse off than me.  It seems to have a lot of customers (495) and is often at capacity for FTTC ordering, and the internet connection suffers badly in peak times, presumably a combination of crosstalk and line length (see below pics)

Having sussed up the info on CodeLook, I can see most of the EO lines in the village have been moved onto a new cabinet (Cab 7) outside the exchange which is listed as having 463 lines now and is also FTTC enabled.  No pics unfortunately

There are two other BT cabinets in the area that don't appear on CodeLook.  One is about half way between me and Cab 3, next to a pole which is marked as DP 25, and has a black box at the top of it which I assume is the DP, see picture below.

There's another cabinet that went in around 18 months - 2 years ago for a new development round the corner, which is marked as '9', but there is no cab 9 listed on CodeLook. I think there are about 10 houses in this development but more planned, maybe around 100.

Are these two cabinets possibly sub cabinets of Cab 3? If so, what are the chances of my line running through the one between me and Cab 3, and is there a possibility they might install a FTTC cab one day next to this cabinet to improve speeds at my end of the village and alleviate capacity issues further back?  Wishful thinking I know!
There is a proposed cabinet listed as E_4 on CodeLook but I have no idea where this might be going. It's due in December apparently so we will see. I doubt it will be anything to do with where I live as there are still a fair few without FTTC available off my exchange.

On a completely separate note, I was surveying for an electricity connection to a new cabinet today, and I assume this is a combined FTTC and normal cabinet for EO lines, this is on the corner of the A16 and Grainsby Lane here, in North Thoresby exchange area, nothing shown for it on CodeLook yet.  I suspect they didn't use this for the EO lines on the new cab outside my exchange as there are quite a lot.
lol, internet

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Extra cabinets in my area
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 11:03:07 PM »

Looking at the last five images they are, indeed, of an AIO (all-in-one) cabinet. The DSLAM is behind the smaller, left hand, door and the normal PCP cross-connection field is behind the larger, right hand, door.

As for the older looking cabinet, beside the DP25 pole, I wonder if it is a secondary cross-connection cabinet? The newer looking "9" cabinet could be a small sized primary cross-connection cabinet or (less likely) as secondary cross-connection cabinet.

As for "what's what", we would really need to see the network planners proposals and the current network records for the area.

Please remember that Magenta Systems "Code Look" is not a definitive statement but an independent best effort attempt.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

TheKeymeister

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 10:36:08 AM »

Thanks for the info, would a secondary cross connection cabinet be like an above ground joint? I can try requesting utility plans from Openreach but they don't go into much detail, it would probably just say 'cabinet'.

I didn't expect Magsys to be 100% accurate, none of these systems are, but it seems to have updated itself regarding the new EO cab outside the exchange which was very recent, but hasn't learnt about the older Cab 9, if it is Cab 9!
lol, internet

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 02:47:37 PM »

Thanks for the info, would a secondary cross connection cabinet be like an above ground joint?

Yes but one that has the flexibility for cross-connection.

I didn't expect Magsys to be 100% accurate, none of these systems are, but it seems to have updated itself regarding the new EO cab outside the exchange which was very recent, but hasn't learnt about the older Cab 9, if it is Cab 9!

As for the above "Cab 9", if you were to send a PM, with some private details, to Black Sheep he might be able to make a few checks . . . if time permits.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

lee111s

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 03:00:50 PM »

Cab 3 is the only one with an SCP.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 06:08:03 PM »

There is a PCP9 situated on Cornfield Way, but it doesn't show it as having an associated FTTC DSLAM. PCP6 does.

I have no idea where you live but going off your post and looking at the geography of the Cabs mentioned (You being off PCP3 etc), I can't see where your estimate of a 950mtr line length comes from ?? Of course, I can and often am wrong.  ;) :)

PS: as mentioned above .... PCP3 is the only Cab off Billinghay to have an associated SCP.

TheKeymeister

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 12:12:54 PM »

Thanks for having a look, that sorts that out then. Cornfield Way is where I took the pic of cab 9.

950m was a Google Maps measurement from my house (Meadow Way) to PCP3...it's probably longer I know due to the route taken not being direct.

Can I ask what the purpose of an SCP is? And what the need for cross connection is, which is possible in an SCP but not in a joint?  Is it something along the lines of, there's a 100 pair coming from cab 3 and say 5x 25 pairs going to various DPs, so it saves laying more cable between the PCP and SCP and just jumper across in there as needed?
lol, internet

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 12:59:14 PM »

Yeah just that, it's basically as it says on the tin ..... just a way of extending the Cab's reach to various premises. Quite a few of our SCP's that had the old-style asbestos cover have now been made into an underground joint as it goes.  :)

Regarding your line length, I was judging it to be less than 950mtrs to be honest. Like I say, this is just based upon the geographical locations of your SCP, and PCP's 6 and 9. Just a wild stab in the dark really as to which premises the SCP may feed ??