Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cars With A Installed Sat-Nav.  (Read 4841 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Cars With A Installed Sat-Nav.
« on: July 15, 2017, 02:49:13 PM »

Cars With A Installed Sat-Nav.
How do you update a fixed car sat-nav ?, you can not connect it to your laptop or can you  :hmm:
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
Re: Cars With A Installed Sat-Nav.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 03:10:35 PM »

Hi tickmike

I believe it depends on the sat nav. Older cars perhaps not, but modem headunits can usually use 3/4g or wifi, and download latest versions and real time traffic etc...

I know our headunit is updated over wifi/3/4g

The only thing to remember is if factory fit headunit, the cat manufacture usually only includes approx 3 years subscription for updates, then you start to pay for updates

Many thanks

John

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 03:41:54 PM »

The one in MY 2009 VW is updated via the CD player, I think it may also be possible via the SD card slot.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 11:47:58 PM »

I've got a horrible feeling my 2012 VW Passat can only be upgraded by the main dealer, which is a bit of a shame as the blank screen moments are becoming steadily more often.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 01:09:28 AM »

We are going to look at a new Vauxhall Mokka X, It's another thing I will ask about when I go for a test drive.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 01:23:55 AM »

I think some are updated via the car's CD drive, with suitable licence fee payable.  On a new car, maybe make sure updates are free within warranty?

TBH, I'd question whether it is worth updating, at least by the time a car is 3 or 4 years old.  It's not just the maps that will be out of date, so will the hardware, and the screen's backlighting will be past its best.   Some folks would just abandon the built in sat nav at that point, in favour of an up to date accessory, or just a smartphone.

To be fair though, never had a car with built in Sat Nav, so who am I to comment. :)

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 01:39:38 AM »

Just done a 'Google' search and it looks like Vauxhall have a web store and the map update is £119  :o
If you remember from a post I did not long ago I have only just bought a TomTom Go 620 Sat-Nav
that updates over WiFi with free lifetime maps.
But it is all the faffing about putting on the windscreen taking it off again if you stop etc.then putting it back on again. >:(

The update (£119) comes on a USB stick that you plug in to the car entertainment system to update the sat-nav, anyone know what type of file it would be ?.

whats stopping you downloading and putting your own maps on ?.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 02:00:05 AM by tickmike »

freelander

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 07:29:58 AM »

If you remember from a post I did not long ago I have only just bought a TomTom Go 620 Sat-Nav
that updates over WiFi with free lifetime maps.
But it is all the faffing about putting on the windscreen taking it off again if you stop etc.then putting it back on again. >:(

Have a look for a Brodit mount ,they clip in to the joints in the dash and look as though they are oem , it's the first accessory I buy when we change the car   hodls the sat nav rock seady and very easy to use
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 11:24:23 AM by freelander »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 07:44:13 AM »

I've got a horrible feeling my 2012 VW Passat can only be upgraded by the main dealer, which is a bit of a shame as the blank screen moments are becoming steadily more often.

What model head unit is it? Mine is an RNS510 and is quite easy to get updates for  ;)

To be fair though, never had a car with built in Sat Nav, so who am I to comment. :)

Mine is 8yrs old and is still working ok, but I do need be careful which updates I apply as newer hardware versions of my head unit software are not compatible.

whats stopping you downloading and putting your own maps on ?.

Research is all it normally takes  ;)
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 08:17:43 AM »

Hi

It's worth mentioning that you can change an old headunit for a new one, which s cheaper then changing car, and usually the new headunit is capable of more features, such as dvr, rear camera, tpms etc. Just google xtrons, but there are many other makers

Also, I believe a lot of modern headunit are capable of mobile mirroring, to use the sat nav (or other features of mobile device)

Many thanks

John

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 09:15:01 AM »

Since discovering that my phone can be configured to play map directions over the car's audio (using Bluetooth) that's all I use these days. 

I don't bother mounting it anywhere visible, it stays in my pocket or in the glove box, as I've got to quite like just having audio.  Now when I try to use a visible map screen I find myself feeling that it can be an uncomfortable distraction, especially if it means taking eyes off the road at the worst possible moments, like negotiating unfamiliar junctions.

But that's just me, others may not find them so distracting.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 09:31:47 PM »

My older car (an Audi) uses a CD for maps. You buy a new one, but I already have the latest and there will be no more.  :( (Cheap CD copies are legion!)
My newer car (a Volvo) updates from a USB drive; you download the latest maps/software (roughly every 6 months) from the Volvo web site free of charge.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 09:44:13 PM »

My newer car (a Volvo) updates from a USB drive

Could you please look what file format it is on the USB if you have one lying about.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2017, 09:52:27 PM »

Hi tickmike

Sorry, one question you want to ask the dealership, which Honda offer at service point, is they update all software during the service.

Many thanks

John

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 12:02:09 AM »

What model head unit is it? Mine is an RNS510 and is quite easy to get updates for  ;)
Mine's an RNS 315 and it does appear I can buy a SD card with the 2017 maps for £50, although not from VW!
Pages: [1] 2