Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Day 8: No dial tone. No FTTC.  (Read 2544 times)

boost

• Reg Member
Day 8: No dial tone. No FTTC.
« on: July 15, 2017, 01:19:17 AM »

Back when I worked for an ISP, BTOR would fix FTTC faults the same day.

WTF happened? ;/

(My data should be on MDWS. DSL light went out on my HG612 AT 08:31 last Friday morning)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Day 8: No dial tone. No FTTC.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 08:40:40 AM »

Back when I worked for an ISP, BTOR would fix FTTC faults the same day.

WTF happened? ;/

(My data should be on MDWS. DSL light went out on my HG612 AT 08:31 last Friday morning)

???? I'm assuming you are on a residential line, therefore your 'Care Level' will probably be the bog-standard 3-days time allowed for us to visit and repair. The clock starts from the time you report it.

The only time we have to fix the line the same day is on a 'Care Level 4' package ..... or, if the work-stacks are so low that good fortune alone sees us visit the same day it was reported. Can't personally ever remember that happening in 30+yrs.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 10:06:02 AM »

As you have no dial tone this should surely be classed as a phone line fault (not dsl).  As such Openreach should attempt to clear by 23:59 day after next - link
Who is your ISP and have they given you any info about the fault?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 10:10:41 AM »

Good point ^^

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 04:30:49 PM »

???? I'm assuming you are on a residential line, therefore your 'Care Level' will probably be the bog-standard 3-days time allowed for us to visit and repair. The clock starts from the time you report it.

The only time we have to fix the line the same day is on a 'Care Level 4' package ..... or, if the work-stacks are so low that good fortune alone sees us visit the same day it was reported. Can't personally ever remember that happening in 30+yrs.

Public sector bodies. Our ADSL faults used to sit there for weeks/months but FTTC was always done and dusted in record times. Scroll back through my old posts... this is why I used to champion BTOR for their FTTC work :)

As you have no dial tone this should surely be classed as a phone line fault (not dsl).  As such Openreach should attempt to clear by 23:59 day after next - link
Who is your ISP and have they given you any info about the fault?

Sky. A company I've recommended to hundreds based on their superior network performance (jitter/gaming) and my perception of their 'clout' with BT.

I've actually never had a dial tone at this place. I haven't used a landline in years so didn't care. How foolish of me! I'm guessing BTOR nicked my pair for an install? Is the 'test' for a spare pair *still* a quick listen for dial tone on the line? It's all a bit disappointing.

Sky are saying things like 'second stage repair' 'underground work' and 'permission from council for roadworks' which I understand to mean,

'You might be back online for October.'

I have no idea what my PSTN number is but my post code is CF32. There appears to be a near constant stream of BTOR vans around here which I feel is unusual for a sleepy little village? Who knows.

The service from Sky has always been flawless. I've no doubt BTOR are only doing their best within their constraints, too. Posting this here because the cream of the crop of the xDSL world reside here and I'm desperate. I'm between jobs atm.

I do believe this is my payback for wronging someone in a previous life. Maybe even this one? :P
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 03:51:50 PM by boost »

lee111s

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 04:56:33 PM »

Sounds possible they've nicked your pair for a provide and there's no more spare pairs...

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 06:39:50 PM »

Sky. A company I've recommended to hundreds based on their superior network performance (jitter/gaming) and my perception of their 'clout' with BT.

Interesting. Chrysalis recently "lost" both telephony and broadband Internet services and he, too, has Sky as his CP.

My whiskers started to tingle as his broadband service is provided via a cabinet equipped with an ECI Hi-FOCuS Mini-Shelf M41 MSAN. Do you know the manufacturer of the (active electronics in the) cabinet through which your broadband Internet service is provided?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 08:28:15 PM »

I did but the only thing caused by sky that I think could lose the sync is an accidental cease on services.

Since I have got services restored, my dsl sync is going down numerous times a day, I am seeing behaviour indicating other lines are also going down (variable crosstalk) and sky have actually gave me specific information relating to the fault (even if it doesnt add up with zen service status).  I was told on thursday openreach need 3 days to clear up the cabinet fault, assuming this is 3 working days I guess it means I need to wait for monday and possibly tuesday as well depending if thursday was included in those 3 days to see if I finally get a stable service back.

My static ip was not lost which I was looking out for if an accidental cease.

There is a 3rd person on tbb as well who lost bb and voice and yes on sky :)

They didnt respond since their original post tho other than to say they not in my area as I asked if they were in LE3.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 08:39:14 PM by Chrysalis »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 08:40:25 AM »

Sky are saying things like 'second stage repair' 'underground work' and 'permission from council for roadworks'

Does seem rather strange that 2 reg members should get what sounds like a very similar fault on the same weekend that appears to be taking longer than norm to fix. 

I also started wondering re Chry's line if it had been nabbed, but when he said what time his went down, I thought it was unlikely.
I'm not sure if cab equipment manufacturer type will have anything to do with it due to the inclusion of voice and broadband fault.

It wont be anything to do with Sky backhaul due to not being able to sync and no dial tone.
Just had one other thought which may be a grey area,  and that is the tie cables on the LLU Handover frame to the Sky MSAN for voice.  If there's no active phone line here would that stop sync.   Sky apparently use their own engineers who wire up between the inspan handover and the msan.

I've already mentioned to Chrys about my doubts of Sky's 'MU' descriptor and roadworks, but unfortunately I dont have any answers :/

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 08:56:26 AM »

PS

Im not sure if using static IP to monitor for a cease is fool proof. 
The static IP record should be held against your line on Sky's bRAS equipment, so cant see a problem unless your IP had been allocated to someone else in the meantime.
-----

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 01:16:49 PM »

Just noticed you're using pfSense, too? Coincidence? :P

666 posts! Weeeee! :)

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 03:48:19 PM »