Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Vandals sabotage F4RN's newly laid cable  (Read 2465 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Vandals sabotage F4RN's newly laid cable
« on: July 10, 2017, 11:35:59 AM »

Following on from the cretinous vandalism of B4RNs network last month (see here), it would appear that last week, some scumbags cut through F4RN's newly laid cable. :mad:

F4RN - Fibre for Rural Nottinghamshire  -  is based on the B4RN ethos whereby members of the community purchase shares to raise capital and pitch in with the digging.   Its extremely sad that vandals have nothing better to do than destroy something which is tring to improve internet access for their area.

We are very sorry to report that last night the work we are doing on Station Road suffered what can only be described as systematic vandalism amounting to deliberate criminal damage.

Where we had buried duct but left some coiled and ready for customer connections, these have been cut. We had also stored two drums of ducting close to the works, but safely out of the way, ready to continue this morning - these appear to have been attacked with secateurs or pruning shears and it looks like we may have to write off several hundred meters of ducting.

As well as the financial cost of replacing the damaged ducting, we have wasted time today trying to recover what we can of the work we did yesterday. We are still assessing the damage and cannot rule out having to dig up some of the drives again to replace the damaged ducting.

More info
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Vandals sabotage F4RN's newly laid cable
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 02:51:59 PM »

that seems like potential commercial incentives for the damage.  Someone who has a financial gain for this scheme to fail?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 06:59:57 PM »

Nah.  Most likey simple vandalism or I'd guess it was someone hoping it was copper that had been laid.
The likes of BT and Virgin are frequently subjected to similar on a much larger scale across the nation. 

Who ever did it used secateurs/pruning shears and note it said 'attacked'.  They probably abandoned once they realised it was fibre and not copper.

If we are going into the realms of conspiracy..  there is no logic behind it
- The amount of potential customers would be peanuts to BT/Virgin.  Its a small scale community so certainly no big financial gain/loss for them.
- The likes of BT/Virgin would never risk doing something like that, if they got caught or the truth came out can you imagine the uproar it would cause.
- They would also know this would NOT stop F4RN's roll-out and would only be an inconvenience. Therefore it accomplishes nothing.

I know some people hate BT with a vengeance and its easy to point fingers, but it really would serve no interest for them to attempt a sabotage and then fail miserably.  If you mention financial gain, then by far the most likely is the hope of copper.  Their trenches and duct work is hardly to the same standard as what BT use and comparatively easy access for thieves.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 07:09:19 PM »

Couldn't have worded it any better myself ^^^, kitz.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 07:33:06 PM »

Wasnt suggesting BT I didnt mention any particular entity :), could be someone else who offered services in that area, someone angry at way work is been done or something like that.

The type of damage doesnt fit with someone just wanting to steal copper.  If you out to steal something you dont just make random cuts into ducts and not take anything away.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 07:40:14 PM by Chrysalis »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 07:45:54 PM »

My money is on Walter.

We (BT) have been using him as a double-agent with B4RN for some years now. His mission, is to give the impression he loathes everything BT whilst secretly sabotaging B4RN's own network.

The problem with going deep under-cover, is there's always that chance the operative could 'Go rogue' ?? I fear Walter may have carried out his own 'Black op' on F4RN's hard work ??

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 07:59:54 PM »

could be someone else who offered services in that area, someone angry at way work is been done or something like that.

Possible I suppose... someone may not like their land being dug or obstructions it could cause...  but then again it would be a futile attempt, because all that happens is F4RN have to fix it and any delays are just longer. 

My money is on Walter.

My theory is that you are walter acting as a double-double-agent in disguise. 
See now we can get really silly with the conspiracy theories, so best save those for elsewhere before this thread goes OT and gets locked.

-----

TBH I think who-ever did this are complete scumbags.   The F4RN community will have worked so hard to pull this together and its a shame that some idiot has to spoil things when good progress is being made.   
-----

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 09:48:05 PM »

Master BS is Being quite a  >:D

The theory B4RN are working to is that it was just the gentlemen of the road (around Appleby Fair time) who have now HOPEFULLY learnt there ain't a lot of cash in a few blobs of melted glass.

However to continue with my educator's brief; this is one I took when with the team on 3 April this year in Popplemire Lane, Middleshaw, Old Hutton demonstrating their monster mole plough.
(They are now right up past J36 around Kendal.)
It was a bit of an overkill here but two fields away on reclaimed land it was shifting concrete slabs the size of dinner tables with consummate ease.

Sorry about the low res but anybody wanting a better picture can PM me with their e-mail address.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 07:29:56 AM »

Ha ha Walter, just a little light humour in a sometime far too serious world.  ;) ;D ;D

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 08:47:09 AM »

Agreed entirely BS and never with devious ulterior motives either  ;) ;) ;) :angel: :angel: :angel:

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 01:50:05 PM »

:giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :hat:

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 02:19:47 PM »